• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:09 AM

Yet Another Innotavite Defiance of Common Sense, this one from my neighbor to the west.

http://www.napanews....5B-487E92590A5F

SACRAMENTO -- Trying to curb the growing problem of childhood obesity, the state Senate voted Thursday to phase out the serving of soft drinks to students at California schools starting in 2005.

"Obesity is the most significant public health threat facing this nation," said Sen. Debra Ortiz, D-Sacramento, the author of the ban. "Childhood obesity is a crisis in California and thus far the state has failed to respond."

But a spokesman for the soft-drink industry, Bob Achermann, executive director of the California Nevada Soft Drink Association, said sodas shouldn't be singled out for blame for overweight students.

"It's a much bigger problem," he said. "It's an issue of moderation in diet and appropriate diet and the need for physical activity."

He suggested that if schools ban soft drinks, students who want them will bring them from home or go off campus to buy them.

"This is about responding to what consumers want. Those beverage choices should be available."

Ortiz's bill, which was sent to the Assembly by a 22-15 vote, would ban the sale of carbonated drinks to elementary and middle school students beginning Sept. 1, 2005. The prohibition would kick in for high schools the following Sept. 1.

In place of soda, schools could sell students milk, bottled water, fruit juice and fruit-based drinks that are at least half fruit juice and have no added sweeteners.

Middle schools and high schools could also offer students sports drinks that replace electrolytes and contain no more than 42 grams of added sweeteners per 20 ounces of fluid.

The bill would allow the sales of sodas more than a half hour before or after school at, for instance, school athletic events or to help student fund-raising campaigns.

According to the legislation, an average of 30 percent of California children are overweight. In some school districts, as many as half of the students have weight problems.

Daily servings of sugar-sweetened soft drinks increase a child's chances of becoming obese by 60 percent, according to statistics cited by the bill.

Current law includes a ban on sodas at elementary and middle schools that's scheduled to take effect Jan. 1, but that prohibition won't kick in unless the schools get additional state funding for nutrition programs, money that isn't likely to be appropriated because of the state's budget crisis.

Ortiz's legislation isn't contingent on the additional funding.

Sen. Tom Torlakson, D-Martinez, said soft drink companies could make up for any loss of revenue by selling bottled water or fruit juices to schools.

Here's the kicker, which moves this from inanity to insanity:

CA high schools (and I think maybe junior highs, but I'm not sure) provide condoms, under the theory that the high schoolers are adult enough to make that decision, and will anyway. I agree with that, by the way.

A student can pick up a condom no problem. But if that same student wishes a post-coital coke, he'll have to go elsewhere.

Does this make sense on any level?

EDIT: Because, somehow a coke became a cancer stick... :eek2:

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 03 June 2003 - 10:24 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:22 AM

UN FRELLING BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what about the um FOOD that gets sold to kids in schools!

Hell THAT'S the unhealthy stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just insane.  Utterly insane.
Posted Image

#3 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:31 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 2 2003, 03:13 PM, said:

Well, Coke can eat through metal!!  :blink:

Why anyone would want to drink that is beyond me.  And diet is worse, Aspertaime (sp?) breaks down into toxic components at body temperature, one of them being formaldahyde.  Pickled brain anyone?!  :eek2:

Soft drinks are off limits at my house.  Exceptions are Ginseng Ginger Ale, or real Old Fashioned Root Beer or Sarsparilla.  We let the kids drink juice (fresh squeeshed orange juice is the favorite) and they also like Hibiscus Cooler tea, sweetened with honey.

(I know, I know, you all would hate having me as a mom!!! ;) )
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#4 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:31 AM

Take *that* personal accountability!

I don't suppose anyone pointed out to them that eating an unbalanced diet and a lack of exercise are far worse than sodas?

Don't get me wrong, so far as empty Calories go, Soda is probably top of the list, or very close to it, but restricting things at school isn't going to help any, I can guarantee that.  :rolleyes:
cervisiam tene rem specta

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:37 AM

Lil-- Agreed!

Chiron-- I agree with your post, for the most part, but the point is that *you've* done it, not the state. And... root beer? :wub:

Jid-- You're absolutely right.

There's also a very telling quote:

"Childhood obesity is a crisis in California and thus far the state has failed to respond."

It honestly never occurs to CA's government that it's not their job to respond to every family problem....

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 03 June 2003 - 10:43 AM.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#6 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:39 AM

chiron777, on Jun 2 2003, 04:35 PM, said:

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 2 2003, 03:13 PM, said:

Well, Coke can eat through metal!!  :blink:

Why anyone would want to drink that is beyond me.  And diet is worse, Aspertaime (sp?) breaks down into toxic components at body temperature, one of them being formaldahyde.  Pickled brain anyone?!  :eek2:
Oh ... I am soooo with you. Especially on Aspartame (correct spelling - I had to go look! hehehe). Aspartame has a malted extract in it, and for those of us allergic to malt --  it's nasty! (Shall we talk about how many products contain Aspartame and don't really tell you? Tons of over the counter meds do! Now that's a NASTY way to get a headache!)

Ummm ... what were we talking about? Oh yeah ... the soda issue in CA.

May I ask .. dear CA legislators ... what the *H* you people are doing about last years out of whack BUDGET? Are you even prepared for this years?????  Highly unlikely! Instead you are all sitting there so high and mighty passing IDIOTIC bills!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do your *D* jobs and butt out of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should recall ALL of them!!!!!!!

*grumble, grumble* ... voting on STUPID bills instead of taking care of business. This state is going down the toilet. Gads --- I wanna move sooooo bad.   :angry:

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:41 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 2 2003, 04:41 PM, said:

It honestly never occurs to CA's government that it's not their job to respond to every family problem....
That is indeed the most frightening part.

And Chiron  Rovvie would LOVE living with anyone that approves of rootbeer!

:)
Posted Image

#8 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,331 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:42 AM

This is so unbeliveable.  Hello!!!  Must the govorment get involved in everything?

Apparently so. :sarcasm:
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#9 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:46 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 2 2003, 11:26 PM, said:

And what about the um FOOD that gets sold to kids in schools!
I think calling it food is going a bit to far.

I can understand the elementary schools (children should be taught that other things are good to drink) but middle and high schools????  Come on...

The kids will just leave the school grounds.  Won't that be great, 12 noon and the entrie high school j-walk goes across the street to 7-11 for a pop  

-Dan

:ninja:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:00 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 2 2003, 03:45 PM, said:

And Chiron  Rovvie would LOVE living with anyone that approves of rootbeer!

:)
{{{{{{{{{{{Lil}}}}}}}}}}}}  & {{{{{{{{{{{{{Rov}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

And I am talking the real stuff, made with real roots, not just some funky flavor.  It is sooooo good!

I agree with you Kimmer, that is the bottomline, let's take care of real business!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#11 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:04 AM

<sigh>

The People's Republic of California. Their motto? "We trust the people to tie their shoelaces. For everything else, there's government."

Rov's absolutely right. If we trust these kids enough to make informed decisions about sex, we should trust them to make informed decisions on drinking soda.

This is just one more example of the state butting in where it doesn't belong. So much for personal liberties when you have lawmakers legislating what you can and can't do.

It's ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrious.

Chiron: Well, Coke can eat through metal!!

So can water... ;)

Lil: And what about the um FOOD that gets sold to kids in schools!

My typical school lunch consisted of a chicken sandwich and a good-sized chef salad with ranch dressing. Granted, the chicken sandwich wasn't very healthy, but the salad was *very* good, and ever so much healthier than the cardboard pizza crap that they were selling in the next aisle...

kimmer:  May I ask .. dear CA legislators ... what the *H* you people are doing about last years out of whack BUDGET? Are you even prepared for this years????? Highly unlikely! Instead you are all sitting there so high and mighty passing IDIOTIC bills!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do your *D* jobs and butt out of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asking the legislators to *gasp* Do their jobs?! Are you insane!? Think about all the resolutions they could be passing limiting cell phone usage and consumption of coke in schools! Err... Wait... </sarcasm> ;)

Gads --- I wanna move sooooo bad.

You and me both...
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#12 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:08 AM

jon3831, on Jun 2 2003, 04:08 PM, said:

Chiron: Well, Coke can eat through metal!!

So can water... ;)

Um, not so sure about that, rust can eat through metal, water can cause rust... so yeh, I guess....  :blink:

#13 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:58 AM

^Depending on the mineral content and how acidic the water is, sure it can.

My dad once brought home a badly corroded stainless steel floor grate that had been used in a room with industrial grade desalinization, reverse osmosis purifiers, etc for use in dialysis applications. The water ate right through it.

It's even a problem with some drinking water. Depending on the process it can eat through copper and galvanized pipes, and cause all sorts of havoc with water heaters and the like.

Also, it's a fairly serious concern for boaters and other watercraft operators. The risk of corrosion is so bad that they put sacrificial zinc anodes on their vessels, so that the zinc will corrode rather than the brass or steel or whatever they make the rudder, propellers, and other hardware out of.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:20 AM

Sugar content aside, I think I heard something about soda preventing the body from absorbing calcium.  Obviously never a good thing, but especially bad for kids and teens with growing bones.

Also my mother told me a story from when she was a kid:  She and her brother took a baby tooth that one of them had lost, and put it in a glass of soda (probably coke) overnight.  The tooth completly dissolved!!! :eek:

Imagine what that does to your teeth when it passes them on its way to the stomach!  Imagine what that does to your stomach!!

:eek:  :eek:  :eek2:

Sci-Fi Girl  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:

(^BTW, number of tribbles = number of posts.)
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:36 AM

^

the issue is not whether it's bad for you.

So are potato chips and snickers bars.

The issue is the government "once again" sticking its big fat big brother nose into what is properly something that ought to be a matter of parenting.

And that thing with the tooth?

Do you know how LONG and CONTINUOUSLY the tooth was soaked in the soda before that happened.

How many people do you know that take a sip of coke and keep their teeth soaked in it for hours at a time?

Lil
Posted Image

#16 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:15 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 12 2003, 04:40 PM, said:

^

the issue is not whether it's bad for you.

So are potato chips and snickers bars.
I was just offering some information that seemed somewhat relevant.

The issue is the government "once again" sticking its big fat big brother nose into what is properly something that ought to be a matter of parenting.

I mostly homeschooled and have no good opinion of the freedom schools allow for personal decision, creativity, individuality ect.

And that thing with the tooth?

Do you know how LONG and CONTINUOUSLY the tooth was soaked in the soda before that happened.

How many people do you know that take a sip of coke and keep their teeth soaked in it for hours at a time?

What about people who guzzle the stuff constantly?

Sci-Fi Girl :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#17 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:32 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 12 2003, 02:40 PM, said:

Not really. The issue is actually about school sticking its nose in itself. They're not trying to get parents to change the way they raise the kids. They're just not participating in the problem THEMSELVES by sponsoring the giving of bad stuff to the kids on their own property... sorto like my vegetarian sister who doesn't lecture other people about the evil of killing animals for food but has decided that SHE won't be a part of the reason it happens.

#18 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:34 AM

^

Delvo, even if we accept your metaphor (and I don't, ftr), the school didn't do this. It was a distant and uncaring state senate that wanted to make itself look good.

And it still boggles the mind that the kids are (according to the school) old enough to make responsible sex decisions but not old enough to make responsible soda decisions...

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:37 AM

So the Government out there is saving folks from choice next tthey will require children to have sex so as to avoid inexperinced fumblings in cars. Also this way they can moniter to make sure a condom is used properly.

Sound stupid I thought so as well but here is California proving that even shoestrings are dangerous in the hands of incompatents.

If the state is so concerned how about getting their budgets under control there is an obesity issue that effcts the health of of everyone. 35 BILLION dollars projected shortfall next year and wanting to barrow 11 BILLION for this years shortfall. Could some one get the budget's pudgy ass on a treadmill and make it loose a lot of weight.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:40 AM

Delvo, on Jun 12 2003, 08:36 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 12 2003, 02:40 PM, said:

Not really. The issue is actually about school sticking its nose in itself. They're not trying to get parents to change the way they raise the kids. They're just not participating in the problem THEMSELVES by sponsoring the giving of bad stuff to the kids on their own property... sorto like my vegetarian sister who doesn't lecture other people about the evil of killing animals for food but has decided that SHE won't be a part of the reason it happens.
My sentiments exactly!  That happens to be where I stand as a vegetarian too.

If you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Sci-Fi Girl :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Diet & Health, Soda in Schools

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users