#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

MSNBC

Plame:  I felt like I had been hit in the gut
Says White House treated her CIA identity 'recklessly' for political reasons

WASHINGTON - Valerie Plame, the CIA operative at the heart of a political scandal, told Congress Friday that senior officials at the White House and State Department "carelessly and recklessly" blew her cover to discredit her diplomat-husband.

Plame, whose 2003 outing triggered a federal investigation, said she always knew her identity could be discovered by foreign governments.

"It was a terrible irony that administration officials were the ones who destroyed my cover," she told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

"If our government cannot even protect my identity, future foreign agents who might consider working with the Central Intelligence Agency and providing needed intelligence would think twice," Plame said in response to a question.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

I kinda found a few bits to be odd/ Like if she was a 'covert' agent why was driving to the CIA's front door.  She also said she felt afraid for her husband when he went overseasbecause she was the mother of two kids. Yet went overseas herself on a 'covert' mission. And that it was someone else in her section who got the memo talking about that part of the world and  yet anothe coworker who said her husband would be a good guy for that job.  They seem awful chatty at the CIA's 'covert' operations area.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

View PostG1223, on Mar 16 2007, 11:51 AM, said:

I kinda found a few bits to be odd/ Like if she was a 'covert' agent why was driving to the CIA's front door.  She also said she felt afraid for her husband when he went overseasbecause she was the mother of two kids. Yet went overseas herself on a 'covert' mission. And that it was someone else in her section who got the memo talking about that part of the world and  yet anothe coworker who said her husband would be a good guy for that job.  They seem awful chatty at the CIA's 'covert' operations area.

And this of ocurse would be a good enough reason for the White House to "out" her.

Source:

#4 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

It's shallow, I know, but...

...Valerie Plame Wilson.  HAWWWWT. :love: :love: :love:
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Mar 16 2007, 06:23 PM, said:

Tell me about she's the best looking covert operative I've ever seen. :drool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

Makes you wonder what they *do* do at Justice.

Source:

#7 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

View PostDWF, on Mar 16 2007, 10:37 PM, said:

But how can you be sure?   :ninja:
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Mar 16 2007, 06:38 PM, said:

View PostDWF, on Mar 16 2007, 10:37 PM, said:

But how can you be sure?   :ninja:

This is true.  :nervousninja:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

And the hits just keep on coming...

The Gavel

March 16, 2007
The Honorable Joshua Bolten
Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. Bolten:

Today, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform held a hearing to examine the disclosure by senior White House officials of the identity of covert CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson. The hearing raised many new questions about the how the White House responded to an extraordinarily serious breach of national security. It also raised new concerns about whether the security practices being followed by the White House are sufficient to protect our nation’s most sensitive secrets.

James Knodell, Director of the Office of Security at the White House, testified at the hearing about White House procedures for safeguarding classified information. During his testimony, Mr. Knodell made some remarkable statements about how his office handled the disclosure of Ms. Wilson’s covert status. Specifically, Mr. Knodell testified:

The Office of Security for the White House never conducted any investigation of the disclosure of Ms. Wilson’s identity;
Under the applicable executive order and regulations, your senior political advisor, Karl Rove, and other senior White House officials were required to report what they knew about the disclosure of Ms. Wilson’s identity, but they did not make any such report to the White House Office of Security; and
There has been no suspension of security clearances or any other administrative sanction for Mr. Rove and other White House officials involved in the disclosure.
According to Mr. Knodell, the explanation for the lack of action by the White House Security Office was a White House decision not to conduct a security investigation while a criminal investigation was pending. Mr. Knodell could not explain, however, why the White House did not initiate an investigation after the security breach. It took months before a criminal investigation was initiated, yet according to Mr. Knodell, there was no White House investigation initiated during this period.

Mr. Knodell also testified that it would be inappropriate to allow an individual who was a security risk to retain his or her security clearance while a criminal investigation is pending. As members of the Committee pointed out, a criminal investigation can last years, and it would jeopardize national security not to investigate the officials implicated in the leak and suspend their security clearances if there were reason to suspect their involvement. Mr. Knodell did not dispute this point.

The testimony of Mr. Knodell appears to describe White House decisions that were inconsistent with the directives of Executive Order 12958, which you signed in March 2003. Under this executive order, the White House is required to “take appropriate and prompt corrective action” whenever there is a release of classified information. Yet Mr. Knodell could describe no such actions after the disclosure of Ms. Wilson’s identity.

Taken as a whole, the testimony at today’s hearing described breach after breach of national security requirements at the White House. The first breach was the disclosure of Ms. Wilson’s identity. Other breaches included the failure of Mr. Rove and other officials to report their disclosures as required by law, the failure of the White House to initiate the prompt investigation required by the executive order, and the failure of the White House to suspend the security clearances of the implicated officials.

To assist the Committee in its investigation into these issues, I request that you provide the Committee with a complete account of the steps that the White House took following the disclosure of Ms. Wilson’s identity (1) to investigate how the leak occurred; (2) to review the security clearances of the White House officials implicated in the leak; (3) to impose administrative or disciplinary sanctions on the officials involved in the leak; and (4) to review and revise existing White House security procedures to prevent future breaches of national security.

I look forward to your response and hope you will cooperate with the Committee’s inquiry.

Sincerely,
Henry A. Waxman
Chairman

cc: Tom Davis
Ranking Minority Member

Source:

#10 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

View PostG1223, on Mar 16 2007, 01:51 PM, said:

So she's not to fear for her husband?

And...the suggestion of her husband meant they trusted her and him.  Good guys-that sort of thing, they do have to "chat" about those sort of things.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#11 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

more video of the hearings today.. [Valerie Plame]

Source:

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

View PostCait, on Mar 16 2007, 05:38 PM, said:

*do* do

Mmm. There seems to be a LOT of that around the White House. :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#13 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

View PostDigital Man, on Mar 16 2007, 04:38 PM, said:

View PostCait, on Mar 16 2007, 05:38 PM, said:

*do* do

Mmm. There seems to be a LOT of that around the White House. :whatsthat:

LOL!!!  OK, I needed a good laugh today.  Thanks DM!!  :D

Source:

#14 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

Why would the White House need to investigate when they knew they we the ones that leaked it? Kinda like me investigating who cooked my dinner while stirring the sauce.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

View PostLin731, on Mar 16 2007, 09:12 PM, said:

Why would the White House need to investigate when they knew they we the ones that leaked it? Kinda like me investigating who cooked my dinner while stirring the sauce.

Oh, be quiet Lin-don't let some silly thing like LOGIC get in the way!! :p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#16 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Just a reminder of what BushCo said at the beginning of this mess.

And then the testimony yesterday, that NOTHING was done inside the White House or at Justice.  The only investigation was that of the special prosecutor, and that was MONTHS later.  Guess it wasn't so serious after all [to them].

Oh and I guess Plame was covert after all.  But it would have been way to much trouble for Cheney, Libby, et al. to safe guard an agent and make sure before they all blabbed to the press.  And who cares about all that national security.. let's just talk about it openly anyway. Just for the hell of it.

Oops, she was covert... "nevermind".

Edited by Cait, 17 March 2007 - 03:33 PM.

Source:

#17 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

View PostCait, on Mar 17 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

Just a reminder of what BushCo said at the beginning of this mess.

And then the testimony yesterday, that NOTHING was done inside the White House or at Justice. The only investigation was that of the special prosecutor, and that was MONTHS later. Guess it wasn't so serious after all [to them].

Oh and I guess Plame was covert after all. But it would have been way to much trouble for Cheney, Libby, et al. to safe guard an agent and make sure before they all blabbed to the press. And who cares about all that national security.. let's just talk about it openly anyway. Just for the hell of it.

Oops, she was covert... "nevermind".

A Republican Representative from California yesterday spoke of "a pattern of arrogance in this administration." Boy, was he right. He was talking about the Gonzales fiasco, but it applies here, too. The Bush administration IS filled with arrogant jerks and I hope that heads finally begin to roll. After sitting through two terms with these people and watching their antics, sometimes with my jaw hitting the floor at their disregard for this country and its laws - I'm so happy that somebody is finally calling them to account.

As I said in the Gonzales thread, I am amused watching Republicans who have known for two terms about the way this President and his cronies do business posture and talk about how wrong it is. Amazing what can happen when you're trying to save your own ass.

I have a lot of respect for Republicans like Warner, who has principles and has always gone his own way even when it wasn't necessarily expedient, but I can't help but laugh at the ones who aided and abetted all of Bush's antics and now talk about how terrible it all is. :p

Edited by Rhea, 17 March 2007 - 05:05 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#18 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

There is a title on a diary at Daily Kos that says: "This is what oversight looks like".  Then it linked to the Raw Story for the transcripts of Friday's hearing by the House Oversight Committee.  

I was struck by how easy it is to 'do nothing' when there isn't any oversight.  No Congress asking questions, no investigations, no nothing at all.  Apparently it is very easy to just 'do nothing' when you're not burdened with oversight and checks on power.  I don't know if I ever appreciated the three branches as much as I do this afternoon.  Not because it always works 100%, but because you can count on failure 100% of the time without it.

Excerpt from Raw Story [link above]:

In testimony given today before the house oversight committee, James Knodell, Director of the Office of Security at the White House, revealed that the the administration had never launched an internal probe to determine the source for the outing of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame in 2003. In addition to revealing a deep reluctance on the part of the administration in determining the party responsible for the leak, Knodell's testimony directly contradicted a prior statement from President Bush promising a full internal probe.

Excerpts from the transcripts..

REP. WAXMAN: Thank you.

Before I recognize the next witness, I just want to clarify this point. The investigation by Mr. Fitzgerald didn't take place for months and months and months after it was well-known that there had been a leak of the identity of a covert CIA agent. Now, as I understand it, there's an obligation for the White House to conduct an immediate investigation to find out whether they needed to suspend security clearances of somebody who had leaked this information, to maybe take disciplinary action against an individual who might have been involved, and thirdly, to find out who divulged it.

And the White House had that obligation, because this was a matter of important, highest-order national security. Am I stating things correctly, Mr. Leonard?

MR. LEONARD: Mr. Chairman, as you point out, whenever there is suspected unauthorized disclosure or compromise, there is an affirmative responsibility to do an inquiry. At the very least to determine -- to implement corrective action. So that -- subsequent and additional and similar violations do not continue to occur, and also to be able to ensure that any potential damage to national security is assessed.

And part of the assessment of corrective action is also the assessment of the need for sanctions.

REP. WAXMAN: Right after the Novak column appeared, there was an outrage that this was disclosing a covert agent. And not only that, the CIA was so angered by it that they wrote a letter to the Justice Department demanding an investigation. And in light of this, which took place immediately after the information of the leak was disclosed, the White House still has not initiated an investigation. Am I correct in that statement, Mr. Knodell?

MR. KNODELL: That's correct. My office does not.

REP. WAXMAN: Thank you.

REP. HODES: What discussions, if any, have you had with anyone about whether or not you should or should not institute an investigation into the security breaches that are the subject of this hearing today?

MR. KNODELL: I've had no conversations.

REP. HODES: You haven't talked to anybody?

MR. KNODELL: That's correct.

REP. HODES: So when you say you're going to go back to the White House and take it up with senior management, you're senior management, aren't you?

MR. KNODELL: Yes, sir. I am.

REP. HODES: So you're going to go back and talk to yourself about whether or not you're going to conduct an investigation? Is that what you want this panel to believe?

MR. KNODELL: I will -- I report to several people.

REP. HODES: Who do you report to, sir?

REP. CUMMINGS: So even if Karl Rove or any other White House official did not know that Ms. Wilson's employment status was classified, the disclosure of such information to an individual not authorized to receive it could have been a violation of the executive order? And that is an executive order of the president of the United States. Is that right?

MR. LEONARD: That's right.

REP. CUMMINGS: So, basically the president set up some rules and then he said, I'm going to make sure that if anybody violated these rules, they're going to have major problems, and they're going to have to go. And then the next thing you know, there is apparently a violation, but there has been no action. Is that right?

MR. KNODELL: Other than the criminal proceedings, no action from my office.

Amazing!

Source:

#19 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

Veteran covert agent discussed her years of training that culminated in, but of course - posing for Vanity Fair with a high profile int'l newsmaker husband in?  Why, sunglasses and a scarf.   :bigsmile:
Masterful, serious agent, not out to create her own fable one iota.  

My man Charles on some of this:
http://www.washingto...7030801499.html

From Brit Hume's show last Friday-
CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER:
What we just heard her say was complete nonsense. What the trial showed was that the leaker was Richard Armitage who was not a political opponent of hers or of her husband. If anything, he was a political opponent of Cheney and the vice president's office who was, in fact, if anything, an opponent of the war. And his leak was obviously not a political act at all.

So, the entire premise of her story is false. There's a fable that she and her husband have constructed of this attempt to discredit him as revenge. In fact, what they were doing was rebutting his story which had all kinds of -- of facts in it which were untrue. For instance, there's this story about she denies that she was the one who recommended him, and she explained it today in a very odd way.

She said she was discussing the request for sending someone to investigate a story of Niger when an underling upset about this request and someone happened by, and that other person is the one who said well, let's send your husband.

Well -- and then she says she and the mysterious stranger then went and spoke with the supervisor, and her husband got sent, she was asked to write a memo. Well, I'm inclined to believe that if she can produce the mysterious stranger. Has she? I'm not sure. Has anybody asked who the mysterious stranger is?

Look, if there wasn't a crime, then all of this is a scandal that shouldn't have been. If it wasn't a crime, what happened? It was an indiscretion on the part of Armitage who was not an enemy of these people. It should not have happened, but it's certainly not a crime. It's not a conspiracy. And Plame herself today had said, when asked about her own status as a covert agent, said, "I'm not a lawyer. I don't even -- I don't know." If she didn't know her own status, how does she expect the White House and others to know her status?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#20 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

^ If the Bush Administration didn't know whether Plame was covert or not, wouldn't it have been prudent of them not to out her, given how concerned they say they are about national security?
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valerie Plame, Before Congress, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users