Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

View PostCait, on Mar 26 2007, 01:18 PM, said:

House Oversight Committee Webpage

Monday, March 26, 2007
Disclosure of CIA Agent Identity
Committee Requests CIA Documents Related to Disclosure of CIA Agent
Citing concerns that a Senate Intelligence Committee report may be inaccurate, Chairman Waxman asks the CIA for Agency memos related to Ambassador Wilson's February 2002 trip to Niger and the subsequent disclosure of Ms.Wilsonís covert status. Ms. Wilson recently testified before the Oversight Committee that the Senate report incorrectly claims that she was responsible for her husbandís mission, and that the CIA official who authored related memos attempted to correct the Senateís distortions was denied the opportunity to clarify the matter.

The last post that related to this topic was ^..

So moving right along.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#62 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

View PostG1223, on Mar 27 2007, 02:48 PM, said:

I got to say bullcrap back. First if we are going to go with that then I say I am sorry and that covers all wounds. You have to accept what is being said at you by me and then after saying I am sorry you MUST lose the anger you have at my statement.

If you are going to make that the rule then get ready for a new level of sniping.
Sorry Rhea you have to take the really mean spirited comment and I make because I said I was sorry accept the apology.

Since neither one of us apologizes much I wouldn't know. :p

I think Cait tried both to apologize and clarify. And there's a distinct difference between criticizing the source material and the poster.  Cait's apologized twice, and I fail to see why she should have to apologize every other post. If Nittany chooses not to accept it, that's certainly her right.

But truthfully, you and I both should probably have kept our noses out of it.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#63 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

View PostG1223, on Mar 27 2007, 02:48 PM, said:

I got to say bullcrap back. First if we are going to go with that then I say I am sorry and that covers all wounds. You have to accept what is being said at you by me and then after saying I am sorry you MUST lose the anger you have at my statement.

If you are going to make that the rule then get ready for a new level of sniping.
Sorry Rhea you have to take the really mean spirited comment and I make because I said I was sorry accept the apology.

If I said half the mean-spirited things that you fling around, without a single thing to back you up BUT your opinion I would've been long gone from this board long ago.  If we all behaved the way that you do in this forum there would be no one to post here.  Everyone here cuts you some slack (for whatever reason, including myself) but I've had it.  Everyone has to behave but you.  Cait apologized, what do YOU, you G1223, want?  A pound of flesh, a warning?  If she gets a warning I will demand one every damn time you start flinging your particular brand of crap.

And I'll go ahead and take my warning for daring to address G1223 and his hypocrosy.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#64 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

C'mon folks. Is this really necesarry?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#65 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

I answered Gode's question. My answer was No sometimes it is not enough. Sometimes a comment is made and an appolgy is offered and the rules are being turned into you must accept the appolgy. Like the poster who feels offened has lost the right to decide for themselves when someone is being honest when they say they are sorry.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#66 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Interesting Op-Ed by Brent Budowsky, who apparently worked on the IIPA back in the day and knows what he is talking about.

No Quarter

The CIA leak case is not about Joe Wilson, or Valerie Plame, or whether one supports or opposes the Iraq war. The CIA leak case is about integrity and truth in intelligence, which is essential in defeating terrorism, in winning wars when we must fight them, and avoiding wars when we should not fight them. The CIA leak case is about honor and patriotism, about protecting those who serve bravely and covertly, just as we should stand completely behind men and women in uniform.

The CIA leak case is about the need for strong human intelligence, a need that is urgent and has been urgent for more than three decades.

The CIA leak case is about the obsession and ideology that disrespects facts, and disrespects truth, and declares Mafia-like vendettas against those who make good faith and professional efforts to ascertain them. The CIA leak case is about using partisan and political pressure to distort and pervert the search for truth, which is what good intelligence is all about, and the CIA leak case is about what goes wrong when these cardinal principles, time honored for every intelligence service on earth, are violated.

Others worked on these laws and policies as I did and have the right to their opinion, but I would submit that my views represent the overwhelming majority of opinion among those who wrote these laws, those who devised these policies, and those who serve covertly in every clandestine service from the CIA to MI-6 and Mossad.

For anyone who offers the contrary I will debate them at any time, in any forum.

When the original Identities Law was drafted, we were sickened and disgusted that identities of American intelligence officers were revealed and at times led to their death, by some who were radical and extreme and serving the interests of America's enemies during the Cold War.

It never occurred to even one of us, working on those laws at that time, that the identity of a covert officer would ever be revealed by the highest officials in American government in leading newspapers and syndicated columns of high level Washington insiders. In those days the revealers of identities ended up taking refuge in Castro's Cuba, not Washington dinner parties or high level corridors of insider power.

It is immaterial whether the CIA Identities Act was technically violated. In my view it probably was; reasonable people can disagree; Patrick Fitzgerald said that lies threw sand in the gears of justice, so perhaps we will ultimately find out, perhaps not.

And I wish I had written this...

This case is about the contempt and disresepct for human intelligence itself, when those who provide it have their lives treated as the petty cash of partisan politics and the delusions of ideology that will justify anything, no matter what the harm to our country, to get what they want.

Edited by Cait, 02 April 2007 - 05:46 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#67 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

^That was very well said. Wow.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#68 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

You know I don't think Alexander Dumas (The Three Musketeers) could have wrote anything as diabolical as this is. :(  :unsure:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valerie Plame, Before Congress, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users