Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

pet foods recalled due to kidney failure/death...

Consumer Products Pet Food Pet deaths 2007

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:26 AM

many of us have pets, so i thought i should post this to inform all of you....

http://www.cnn.com/2...=rss_topstories

thankfully Meru only eats dry food, but i do have a few cans of Special Kitty sitting around.  i will check the codes on them.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

Mark: I saw this article earlier today, and immediately picked up the phone to call my friends with pets. This company makes so many different brands of dog and kitty food, some of it the premium stuff, and others more generic. I hope everyone's pet/s get through this bad food scare without having a sick animal animal on their hands. I know when my pet was sick...I was sick too!  :eh:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

This is the website with the lists of brand names recalled:  

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/  

Cat food products:  
http://www.menufoods...roduct_cat.html  

Dog food products:
http://www.menufoods...roduct_dog.html  

I have 2 cats.  I checked and thankfully we didn't have any of the brands on hand from the list.  The lists are long!
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:02 AM

My cousin and his wife rescue collies and border terriers, and they have eleven sick dogs, all falling ill this week.

They buy their wet food from Sam's, which is not on the list. But they discovered that the date codes match those of the recalled products.

So to be on the safe side, everyone should probably check the codes: code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:24 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Mar 18 2007, 07:02 AM, said:

My cousin and his wife rescue collies and border terriers, and they have eleven sick dogs, all falling ill this week.

They buy their wet food from Sam's, which is not on the list.
Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, and Walmart's store brand "Ol' Roy" is on the list, so it could very well be affected.
"Ol' Roy" was the dog of Sam Walton -- who is of course the "Sam" of Sam's club, and the "Wal-" of Walmart

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

I saw this-but unfortunately was too caught up in RL problems to post it. I'm glad Cheile posted this.

A question-how about pinning this thread? And could this food problem affect places like Canada, and other countries outside the U.S.? I don't know how much pet food is exported from the U.S to other countries.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

I clicked on "Print This" @ the bottom of the article to print it out...the printed text was so  small that it was hardly readable, so I tried in IE... the print text was a  bit larger, and perfectly readable. :unsure:

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

I've pinned it for the rest of the month.  Thanks for the suggestion.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

First, my TV, and now this.  Wallyworld's not lookin' real good right now.

#10 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:57 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Mar 18 2007, 08:07 AM, said:

A question-how about pinning this thread? And could this food problem affect places like Canada, and other countries outside the U.S.? I don't know how much pet food is exported from the U.S to other countries.
This has also been circulating around the news up here, but as far as I know, there have been no reports of sick pets outside of the U.S.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

Here's what a friend of mine told me about his two kitties:

Yeah, what's funny is that I *was* feeding the kitties science diet, which is on the list, but I don't think the kitten cans were the affected ones, and there's a can of Iams which I need to check if it's one of the bad batch, but, for the most part, they have been getting Friskies, 9-Lives and Fancy Feast... because that's what's at the supermarket, and all of those are NOT on the list of tainted tins.

And the kitties seem pretty healthy, judging by the tornado that swept through the living room last night.

They are getting Science Diet dry cat food, but that's also not affected.

I'd know if there was a problem, cats are famous for puking, and so far (as far as I can tell), they haven't been coughing up anything.

My guess is that you'd have to feed the cat the same thing every day to get them sick -- I've been mixing brands and types because I don't know what they prefer yet, and because I haven't been able to get lots of kitten canned food, so, I mix it up figuring a little of everything is okay.

So far, they have not complained....

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#12 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

View PostDrax, on Mar 18 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

First, my TV, and now this.  Wallyworld's not lookin' real good right now.

uh why the Walmart blame?  the foods affected by this recall have gone to countless stores.  it's not their fault they were sent bad food.  blame Nestle/Purina, who manufactured it.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#13 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

Heads up.

The list is growing and now includes Mighty Dog and Hill's Science Diet, according to an article in today's paper.

If you have a dog or cat, the best bet right now is to prepare its food yourself until this matter is straightened out.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

Above there was a question of who to "blame". From the story, I noticed:

However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

One of the reasons the manufacturers get new suppliers is the demand of the retailer to get goods at a lower cost.

A documentary everyone should see is "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473107/

Walmart has actually closed stores where the employees attempted to unionize.

Walmart has closed down a lot of established businesses in many communities; they've put more manufacturing overseas taking away American jobs; and by making manufacturers cut costs, they're likely contributing to giving people lesser-quality goods.

Yes, slightly off-topic, but this is one result of the Walmart force.

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

View PostBroph, on Mar 20 2007, 06:52 AM, said:

Walmart has closed down a lot of established businesses in many communities; they've put more manufacturing overseas taking away American jobs; and by making manufacturers cut costs, they're likely contributing to giving people lesser-quality goods.

Yes, slightly off-topic, but this is one result of the Walmart force.

Still off-topic here but....there was a recent report that many Walmarts would be eliminating their craft and fabric departments.  Which leaves many communities without a place to get those things as there local craft and fabric stores were closed down after Walmart move into the community.  Guess if anyone wanted to open a business that would be the one to get into in those areas where this is happening.

back to topic now...

So far my dog's fave canned foods are not on the list but I am keeping an eye on any updates.  

And my friend who is my dog's vet also said that he has seen more folks in the past several days who are worried about their dogs and cats because they feed them  some of these brands.  News reports on Houston stations also confirm the rush by some to the vet offices.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Trikay: So far my dog's fave canned foods are not on the list but I am keeping an eye on any updates.

Good--and do keep an eye on it. I learned to my horror this morning that my dog's canned food is now on the list. She has hemolytic anemia to begin with and hasn't been feeling well for several weeks, so the thought that what I've been feeding her might be making her sicker was pretty upsetting. So now, I'm learning home-made dog-food recipes. :) (Ground beef with whole wheat rotini pasta was a big hit for lunch.)

I thought about taking her in for blood work to check her kidney function, but she's so horrible at the vets in the first place and then I figured they must be packed these days as worried people bring their dogs and cats in.

Also, people shouldn't assume that if a food is on the store shelves it hasn't been recalled. I went to the store today and the canned Mighty Dog is still on the shelf. I think this list is being updated so frequently that the stores haven't all caught up to it.

#17 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:03 PM

^^^

Where are you getting any updated lists of recalled dog or cat food?

Any search for articles about this latest only bring up articles which all link back to the menufoods site...which has not been updated since March 16

BTW dogs love chicken and rice.  My aunt's vet told her long ago that it is the best thing to feed dogs when they are feeling sickly.  Not sure of any particular recipe for it but....

Edited by trikay, 20 March 2007 - 01:05 PM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#18 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

There's still no dry food on the list is there?  Our four eat only dry prescription food from the vet, so I haven't been too worried, but if Hill's Science Diet is making it onto the list, I may start getting nervous.

#19 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

^^^no dry foods yet.

This is not the first pet food recall....January of last year (2006) Diamond Pet Food had to recall their products due to aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that causes severe liver damage in animals.

So the theory that this latest may have been caused by the gluten as mentioned upthread is probably right.

Edited by trikay, 20 March 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#20 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

Trikay: Where are you getting any updated lists of recalled dog or cat food?

Any search for articles about this latest only bring up articles which all link back to the menufoods site...which has not been updated since March 16

They actually are updating the list. On the 16th, there were 40-something brands listed. Today there are over 50. So even though the announcement date remains the 16th, the list of brands is edited as new brands become cause for concern. Mighty Dog and several others have been added since then. So if you just keep checking the list, updates should appear.

Regarding Science Diet, that's what I read in the paper, but I don't see it on the list. So I don't know what's up with that. Perhaps the author of the article saw Hill's Country Whatever (can't recall exactly) and misread it as Hill's Science Diet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Consumer Products, Pet Food, Pet deaths, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users