Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

pet foods recalled due to kidney failure/death...

Consumer Products Pet Food Pet deaths 2007

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:09 AM

:crazy:

This really makes me wonder if something fishy (be it deliberate, or a melamine accidental spill that the government covered up) is going on here. Two different ingredients, both used for pet foods, contaminated by the same thing... :unsure:

Have there been any signs that this has gotten into human food? Or does melamine even have noticeable effects on humans?

Edited by Raina, 19 April 2007 - 03:11 AM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#102 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

And it's expanded yet again.  It included a brand (Royal Canin Prescription) we're still using for one cat, but not our specific food.  Still, just about had a heart attack when I saw the the Brand name and that it included dry foods.

#103 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

View PostRaina, on Apr 19 2007, 09:09 AM, said:

:crazy:

This really makes me wonder if something fishy (be it deliberate, or a melamine accidental spill that the government covered up) is going on here. Two different ingredients, both used for pet foods, contaminated by the same thing... :unsure:

It appears that's possible...

Contamination may have been done to increase protein rating

Note that the story also mentions contamination of corn gluten, though the shipment was not to North America, but to Africa.  

Not wanting to add to people's worries, just that it seems like something to be aware of.  :unsure:

Peridot

#104 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:06 AM

Yikes! So I guess the moral of the story is to only get pet foods that don't have ingredients that come from China until this all blows over.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#105 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:25 AM

Heads up--the list has been expanded again. I don't have a link handy, but all pet owners should check the news.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#106 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:20 AM

Now there's reports coming out that the contaminated wheat flour was also used as animal feed:
in fish farms
pork and chicken

They're saying that this doesn't pose a health risk to humans, but now I'm starting to worry that some of this may have gotten into the human food supply and they just don't know it yet. This just keeps getting bigger and bigger.... :unsure:

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#107 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

another recall update:
http://www.fda.gov/o...nango05_07.html

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#108 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

Geez... :(

I've been very lucky that I don't feed my cats any of the products on these lists. The mention of Hill's being on the list a while back gave me a good scare (I feed them Science Diet) but so far so good.

Edited by NeuralClone, 18 May 2007 - 02:17 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#109 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on May 18 2007, 03:17 PM, said:

Geez... :(

I've been very lucky that I don't feed my cats any of the products on these lists. The mention of Hill's being on the list a while back gave me a good scare (I feed them Science Diet) but so far so good.

It's really awful, isn't it? It's gotten so that you feel like you're taking a chance with your pets' health when you feed them any commerically-prepared foods.

My old girl has been getting lots of chicken. I'd give her only that but I'm concerned that she wouldn't be getting all of her nutrients, so each day I give her something that's not on any list--currently. Pedigree or Beneful usually. I've finally found a dry food she'll eat, but even that isn't a sure bet these days.

And I do think our own food supply is probably a lot less safe than the FDA will ever let us know.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#110 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

View PostSpectacles, on May 18 2007, 11:27 AM, said:

And I do think our own food supply is probably a lot less safe than the FDA will ever let us know.

Too true.

I've heard the stories of city health inspectors refusing to eat out, because they know how bad a lot of these restraunts really are, even with a good rating.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#111 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Yep. And I just read an article in this morning's paper about how the FDA isn't inspecting enough imported foods--with a focus on Chinese foods, which are--obviously--not regulated. There's no telling what all is in our food supply.

I'm going to start living on ice cream and feeding my dog organic chicken.  :blink:

#112 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

That won't help me, I'm lactose intolerant.  :blink:

Bring back Darthsikle!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Consumer Products, Pet Food, Pet deaths, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users