6 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 05:27 AM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/921482.asp

BUCHANAN: OK, folks, Eric Rudolph is in custody and about to be charged with what are virtual acts of terrorism, the bombing of an abortion clinic in Birmingham and that bombing in Atlanta that killed one woman and wounded some or injured some 100. Here to debate the issue of is there more sympathy around for Eric Rudolph than you might imagine are Reverend Michael Bray of the Reformation Lutheran Church, who is from the Washington D.C. area down in Bowie, Maryland, and Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center who is down in Alabama-Bill.
       PRESS: Reverend Bray, let me start with you. Eric Rudolph is accused of both bombings, the abortion clinic down in Birmingham where an off-duty cop was killed and the bombing at Olympic Centennial Park in Atlanta where a mother was killed there with her kids to watch the Olympics. It seems to me this is a clear-cut case of murder in both cases. If guilty, why does he deserve any sympathy at all?
       REV. MICHAEL BRAY, REFORMATION LUTHERAN CHURCH: I wouldnít offer any sympathy for the bombing in Centennial Park. I would have plenty of sympathy for his actions in defense of the unborn.
       PRESS: Is it OK to murder a cop? Is that what you are saying? You are defending the murder of a cop?
       BRAY: No, I wouldnít call that the murder of a cop. I would say a man was attempting to save innocent children, made a good attempt. The cop, as you refer to him, was a death camp guard.
       PRESS: He was a security guard at the abortion clinic, this-allegedly, again, Eric Rudolph planted a bomb that went off and killed him. Thatís not murder? What is murder?
       BRAY: Well, again, you refer to him as a security cop of a-what do you say a medical facility or a clinic? Itís no clinic. Itís no place of healing. Itís a place of murder. Itís a death camp and so letís call him a guard of a death camp.
       BUCHANAN: All right, Mark Potok, I want to ask you a couple of questions or put two questions into one. One, how broadly do you think the sympathy is out there for Rudolphís assault on the abortion clinic? I donít think anybody thinks heís-again, did anything moral or right when he went after the Atlanta Olympics. And secondly, hasnít there always been a measure of sympathy for outlaws? Jesse James was a killer and a bank robber and a great hero out in the west. John Dillinger had thousands of people at his funeral. Bonnie and Clyde were heroes of the 1930ís to a lot of people. Is there a lot of sympathy out there for Eric Rudolph on the same sort of grounds?
       MARK POTOK, SOUTHERN POVERTY LAW CENTER: Yes. I think youíve practically answered the question in the way you asked it. I think, you know, he is seen very much as a kind of Butch Cassidy character. You know, a single, kind of good-looking, fairly intelligent guy who stood up to the full might and apparatus of the state and survived. So, you know, I think that the sympathy thatís out there, yes, itís colored somewhat by the, you know, lot of sympathy for anti-abortion positions in general in that part of the country, but I think that what is really driving the kind of enthusiasm that you will find among some people, especially in North Carolina, about Rudolph is that very idea. You know, I mean, weíre talking about a region of the country thatís very anti-government going all the way back to the whiskey rebellion and even before.
       BUCHANAN: Right.
       POTOK: You know, thereís been this feeling...
       (CROSSTALK)
       POTOK: ... of pushing the feds away.
       BUCHANAN: Right. It is anti-government. It is very strongly pro-life. Frankly, allegedly Rudolph bombed a gay nightclub. It is very anti-homosexual rights or the homosexual movement or homosexuality in general. And so, you think this-you know, the fact that they have sort of a basic fundamental group of beliefs, even if they might disagree or say he did the wrong thing, thatís the cause of a lot of this sympathy.
       POTOK: I think thereís something to that. I think that when the details of the murders that he allegedly carried out are really fleshed out in court, that a lot of that sympathy is going to simply evaporate. You know, Mike Bray can sit and say that the police officer, Sandy Sanderson, you know, was somehow guarding a concentration camp or a death camp, but, you know, Iíd like to see him say that to Felicia Sanderson (ph), who I have spoken to, the wife of the police officer, who is herself and whose husband was, in fact, opposed to abortion.
       You know, this was a police officer looking to put a little food on his familyís table, and letís not forget how deliberate this murder was. I mean, allegedly what happened was the murderer, if it was Eric Rudolph, sat off at a distance in the cab of his pickup truck and with a remote-controlled device watched Sandy Sanderson lean over that bomb wrapped in a paper bag and blew the thing up in his face.
       PRESS: All right, Mark, let me jump back in. Michael Bray, you say-you call this a death camp. But, of course, itís not a death camp. The law doesnít say itís a death camp. You may believe it and Eric Rudolph may believe it, but we are a nation of laws. You donít have the right or he doesnít have the right to go in there and kill someone he disagrees with, or does your religion tell you something differently?
       BRAY: Itís not a matter of simply killing someone that one disagrees with. Itís a matter of killing-or destroying a facility where indeed human beings are being killed.
       (CROSSTALK)
       UNIDENTIFIED MALE: ... dispute about that.
       PRESS: Iíve got to follow-up on this, Pat. What is the difference between what he did and what Osama bin Laden did, who said my religion tells me to kill people who disagree with my radical view of Islam or what Timothy McVeigh did? I mean, heís a terrorist just like they are.
       BRAY: I think itís...
       PRESS: (UNINTELLIGIBLE) Michael Bray.
       BRAY: Easy difference. Easy difference to be made there. I hate to refer to the simple clichí that former President Bush had made concerning terrorism and what is true terrorism and one manís terrorist is another manís freedom fighter, but thereís something about that. When people are so at odds with one another that they disagree on the fact that...
       BUCHANAN: All right...
       BRAY: ... we have true human beings being killed here. Now, do we or do we not have true human beings being killed?
       (CROSSTALK)
       BUCHANAN: Hold on. Let me get in here, Bill. Michael Bray, if you believe that abortion is murder, and you obviously do, and I believe that itís the killing of the innocent, but you believe that people that engage in this can be-should be destroyed, like Barnett Slepian was shot by James Kopp-I gather you agree with that killing. Do you-what do you think should have been done to the Supreme Court justices who voted 7-2 to unleash abortion on demand in the United States following which 40 million unborn children have been done to death? Do you think it would be legitimate to do them the same way?
       BRAY: Well, I think we can make a big distinction between those who permit, as guilty as they may be before God-thereís a difference between those who permit it and bring it about in a society and those who are actually committing the deed immediately.
       PRESS: Let me ask you, do you advocate the killing of people who work at family planning clinics and perhaps even perform abortions? Is that what you are saying?
       BRAY: I donít advocate that, but I say that action cannot be condemned...
       PRESS: Do you defend it? Do you defend it?
       BRAY: I say it cannot be condemned. Yes, I say it cannot be condemned.
       PRESS: Do you defend it?
       BRAY: There can be no moral condemnation for that action.
       PRESS: God love you.
       POTOK: I mean, if I may say something here...
       (CROSSTALK)
       BUCHANAN: All right, Mr. Potok, go ahead quickly.
       POTOK: Yes. I mean, Mike Bray calls these killings glorious, and,
       you know just aside from the fact that he spent four years in federal
       prison over bombing abortion clinics, you know, I think itís worth pointing
       out that this is a man who then goes on to say, by the way, it was kind of
       Ē it was a wonderful thing that Saudi Arabia a short time ago beheaded three men for being homosexual. I mean, it seems to me that once you start down this path of murder in the name of righteousness, there is no end.

PRESS: Mark Potok, Michael Bray, thank you much for joining us this evening for this debate.
       BUCHANAN: Thank you gentlemen.
       PRESS: When we come back, folks, another big debate. Where are the weapons of mass destruction? Will we ever find them? Weíll throw that to our ďRoundtableĒ, Joe Scarborough, Julianne Malveaux, coming up.

It's scary that *anybody* has sympathy for this madman....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. ß 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 05:34 AM

Scary doesn't begin to express it.  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 05:52 AM

Wow.

There is so much there. Rev. Bray is just depressing.  I have a certain admiration for ministers - especially of established denominations, like the Lutheran church.  Rev. Bray is just a blight on that image.

But it is rather unfortunate that the guy from the Southern Poverty Law Center took such a snobbish approach!  What did Mark Bray's extremism have to do with Jesse James? What a way to smear the entire issue with something that has NOTHING to do with the debate in question!  

I'm very sorry - but we can't eliminate the Rudolph and the Brays of the world by ignoring their legitimate concerns and treating them like backwater nothings. In order to win this fight - there absolutely has to be a moral determination to stand on the real issues and face them.

Extremists tend to become more and more extreme the more marginalised they are.

:(

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:48 AM

Charged is not convicted.  I will wait to see the evidence and such before saying innocent or guilty. I just hope we can get this over as quickly as possible.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:08 AM

G-- :blink:.

First, I'll gnaw off my left foot if he's completely cleared.

Secondly, it's not even the subject of Rudolph; it's an American citizen saying, "Hey, you can't condemn somebody who bombs abortion clinics!".
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. ß 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:18 AM

Becareful Rov some folks might offer you steak sauce.

Yes I agree that bombing clinics is wrong I think anybody outside of the woman and maybe her doctor if the procedure would impair the woman's life are theonly folks who need to be involved.

I think Rudolph needs to sit at Gitmo with the other terrorists and be questioned into finding out who  lese was involved.

I took your statement to be aimed at the accused. And yes I think they have the right guy butI will not prejudge a man espically when the death penalty is on the table.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 ervin64

ervin64
  • Islander
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:44 AM

Rudolph will get a fair trial, likely paid for by my tax dollars.  He'll get a chance to present his side of the issues.

The people he possibly killed, alledgedly for their beliefs, won't be able to state their case.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Abortion, Eric Rudolph, Domestic Terrorism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users