#1 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:41 AM

Another in the "You don't hear about this on the evening news" file:

http://www.tribnet.c...p-3258692c.html

As his back door was kicked in Monday afternoon, a South End homeowner - confined to his bed because of a disability - called 911 with one hand and grabbed his 9 mm Glock handgun with the other.

Within seconds, a burglar was in the bedroom and inching closer.

"He didn't stop coming toward me until he was looking down the barrel of a 9 mm," said the 64-year-old homeowner, who didn't want to be identified out of fear for his safety.

The burglar, disguising his face with a handkerchief, backed off several steps and called out to someone else.

"I thought he was going to take off, but he turned back around and he said, 'I'm going to get you,'" the homeowner said. "That's when I shot him."

Of particular interest is this:

Moments later, someone kicked in the back door. The homeowner grabbed the phone and dialed 911. As it rang, he searched for his gun.

and

A 911 dispatcher answered the homeowner's call moments after the shooting.

I'm all for the 911 system, but this incident demonstrates how quickly these things can happen, and how important it is for people to have the ability to defend themselves if they so desire.

Kudos to the homeowner.

Thoughts? Comments?

EDIT: Forgot the link to the story...  :blush:

Edited by jon3831, 04 June 2003 - 06:42 AM.

"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:43 AM

Excellent article which shows how guns can (and should) be used responsibly. I doubt I would have been generous enough to intentionally shoot to wound (rather than kill) in his shoes, but I applaud his actions.

Here's hoping the police catch the burglars and this guy doesn't have to live in fear for much longer. :).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:46 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 3 2003, 12:47 PM, said:

I doubt I would have been generous enough to intentionally shoot to wound (rather than kill) in his shoes, but I applaud his actions.
One of the things they teach in firearms safety courses and self-defense courses is that the objective isn't to kill the intruder. The objective is to stop the attack. And that's exactly what happened here.

WWCELeMD?

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:48 AM

^

That's true.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:57 AM

*grudingly*  Even I have to admit that a gun can be helpful in situations like that (I'm very anti-gun).  So long as the person knows what they're doing and is shooting to *stop* the attack and protect themselves, rather than just to kill or damage the other person.
Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#6 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:01 AM

There is only one word to describe this homeowner ....

************ HERO ************
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:09 AM

If I were his age, and disabled, I would have put a bullit through the guys head. Stopping someone in that situation gives them another chance to hurt you. He was lucky.  But then I don't keep a loaded gun around anyway.
Can't Touch This!!

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:23 AM

My anti gunness aside...

go HIM!
Posted Image

#9 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:49 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 3 2003, 02:47 PM, said:

Excellent article which shows how guns can (and should) be used responsibly. I doubt I would have been generous enough to intentionally shoot to wound (rather than kill) in his shoes, but I applaud his actions.

Here's hoping the police catch the burglars and this guy doesn't have to live in fear for much longer. :).
I totally agree. I believe that this is what the framers of the Constitution had in mind when they included "the right to bear arms." A person has the right to defend their life and the life of their family. I have no problems with waiting periods and registering guns. Responsible gun owners have nothing to hide. I think these things simply make it a bit harder for criminals to obtain guns. They also prevent people from obtaining one in a moment of rage.

I'm against totally banning private ownership of guns however. People, such as this man, who wish to use them for protection, hunters, and sportsmen, would be denied a Constitutional right, but criminals would still be able to obtain firearms. You know very well they aren't getting most of them legally. I think that the answer to concerns about the safety of having guns in the home, preventing children from getting them and things like that, it education. People who own guns need to learn to respect them and handle them safely. We always had guns in our home when we were growing up. My father, however, was adamant about us learning proper safety and being properly supervised anytime we handled them.

Bossy

Kryptonite, silver bullet, Buffy? Dammit, what does it take to keep you in the grave? - John to Scorpy

And what the hell is Succubitch doing here? - Lorne

Captain, your presence here has not been overly meddlesome. - Ambassador Soval

.... it'll only induce me to acts of eloquence and mayhem. - Hawk

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:11 AM

Pretty much agreed bossy.

I've also submitted this item to fark.com, under the entry "HERO". Here's hoping it gets on the website :D

#11 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:27 AM

Agreed also, bossy.  I've always felt that people should register their guns: I'm pro-gun-control, but certainly not anti-gun.  I may hate guns, but they do have their uses.

#12 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:32 AM

Finally an example of a handgun being put to proper use - as a last line of self defense. :)

Good on the old guy, I say.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:33 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 3 2003, 07:47 PM, said:

I doubt I would have been generous enough to intentionally shoot to wound (rather than kill) in his shoes, but I applaud his actions.
The problem here Rov is the laws in many areas that are strongly anti-gun will go after you if you shoot to wound.  They have the laws written so that a firearm may only be discharged in self-defense if you feel that there is imminent threat to your life.  Then these areas argue that if you are shooting to wound the threat wasn’t severe enough to your life to even warrant the use of the firearm.  So then they’ll have you up on charges looking for a conviction.  

So in many cases you’ll find the legal advice is to shoot to kill to protect yourself from ending up in jail.  I think really that the option to shoot to wound is one that should be left there even if it isn’t advisable in certain circumstances.  .  

grabbed his 9 mm Glock handgun with the other.

Glock!?!?!  *TWITCH*  Good thing it didn't explode on him....
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:58 AM

Good for him!

Although, if he's bedridden, and he got out of bed, confronted and shot an intruder, and talked with the police about it... I can only imagine how he must have felt once the adrenalin wore out.  Ouch.

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:22 AM

Well I am glad the guy is a live becasue it sounds very clearly like these guys inteneded to kill him. I hope they put him away for a long time. I also hope the old man gets  his doors fixed for free.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#16 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:39 AM

I'm glad the man whose house was broken into is okay, especially considering his condition!  Most situations like that probably wouldn't have ended like that.  I myself probably would have been panicking and not think to use a weapon.
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#17 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:59 AM

Bossy, on Jun 3 2003, 01:53 PM, said:

I have no problems with waiting periods and registering guns. Responsible gun owners have nothing to hide. I think these things simply make it a bit harder for criminals to obtain guns. They also prevent people from obtaining one in a moment of rage.
A question to ponder... If owning guns is a right protected by the Bill of Rights, in the same manner as freedom of speech and religion, why aren't there waiting periods and registration to go to church or give a speech?

I'm against totally banning private ownership of guns however. People, such as this man, who wish to use them for protection, hunters, and sportsmen, would be denied a Constitutional right, but criminals would still be able to obtain firearms. You know very well they aren't getting most of them legally.

Indeed. Most of the illegal guns out there are obtained illegally, either from smugglers or thieves or by other means.

I think that the answer to concerns about the safety of having guns in the home, preventing children from getting them and things like that, it education. People who own guns need to learn to respect them and handle them safely. We always had guns in our home when we were growing up. My father, however, was adamant about us learning proper safety and being properly supervised anytime we handled them.

Agreed 100%. I was 5 or 6 when I first learned how to shoot. My dad and several of my buddy's dads took us to a Boy Scout range while we were on a youth group retreat. Taught us handling and safety, then we each put 50 or so rounds downrange. And later, when I was old enough, I took a formal class on proper handling. Personally, I think basic firearms safety should be taught in schools to everyone. But that's just me. ;)

CJ:  The problem here Rov is the laws in many areas that are strongly anti-gun will go after you if you shoot to wound. They have the laws written so that a firearm may only be discharged in self-defense if you feel that there is imminent threat to your life. Then these areas argue that if you are shooting to wound the threat wasn’t severe enough to your life to even warrant the use of the firearm. So then they’ll have you up on charges looking for a conviction.

The key phrase is California is "shoot to stop the attack". If that means the attacker dies, then so be it. But you're right. There is no such thing as "shoot to wound". Most of the issues with varying degrees of force are left with peace officers, but due to the legal environment today, a "civilian" doesn't have that option.

Also, I think the exact phrase in California law is "immediate danger of life or limb", and it's worded in such a way as to be ambiguous as to whether you can discharge a firearm in defense of your family as opposed to only yourself. In this case, though, "I'm going to get you" would be enough, IMO, to warrant deadly force.

Glock!?!?! *TWITCH* Good thing it didn't explode on him....

Nah, it was a 9mm. Most of the problems come from the .40S&W. ;) ;)

WWCELeMD?

#18 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:26 AM

. Most of the illegal guns out there are obtained illegally

Actually, I'd say all of them are. :blink:

#19 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:33 AM

Jon: Personally, I think basic firearms safety should be taught in schools to everyone.

I’ve always thought that would be a great PR program for the US military and a way to attract new recruits.  I think the biggest problem would be working out the legal issues and getting the public attracted to it.   Then say make the program for high school seniors or juniors.  Get them out to give them the training and then put them on the range for a while with at least the M9 and M16.  Bonus is put a gunnery sergeant in charge of the range who won’t take any type of dangerous activity on the range.   Nothing like a Gunny to maintain law and order.  

I think it would be a good “field trip” to toss in with a required class on military history and tactics.  I’ve always found it funny that classes are required in US Government so we understand how the government operates so we can be responsible citizens yet we have nothing similar for the military.  Military force/intervention is so often an option in foreign policy that citizens in order to be responsible should understand it before they choose to support it or not support it.  Plus it would save me the headache of doing two things.  The first being to explain the job of the military is to kill people and break things.  The second being that you can’t just “nuke ‘em” no matter what the situation.  

Jon: Nah, it was a 9mm. Most of the problems come from the .40S&W. ;) ;)

Still the very idea of a Glock and their idea of a proper safety just tends to make me shiver in terror.  ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#20 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 02:38 PM

jon3831, on Jun 3 2003, 07:03 PM, said:

Bossy, on Jun 3 2003, 01:53 PM, said:

I have no problems with waiting periods and registering guns. Responsible gun owners have nothing to hide. I think these things simply make it a bit harder for criminals to obtain guns. They also prevent people from obtaining one in a moment of rage.
A question to ponder... If owning guns is a right protected by the Bill of Rights, in the same manner as freedom of speech and religion, why aren't there waiting periods and registration to go to church or give a speech?

Because you can't kill someone or commit a violent crime by attending church or giving a speach.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Guns, Self-Defense

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users