• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

A quake estimated as having a magnitude of 7.1 hit Japan a few hours ago.  One woman is known to have died, and over 80 people are reported injured.  A tsunami warning was issued, but only a very small tsunami was produced and the warning was later lifted.    

http://news.yahoo.co...6GU6AlQXk79xg8F

At least nine houses collapsed, landslides were triggered and roads buckled when the quake struck at 9:42 a.m. (0042 GMT), public broadcaster NHK and Kyodo news agency said.

NHK said about 30 troops were to head for the site of the quake to give assistance.

In Nanao, a city with a population of around 60,000 on the peninsula, ambulance services were flooded with calls to help people who had suffered burns and injuries, Kyodo said.

TV footage showed collapsed wooden houses, tiles from roofs scattered on narrow streets and a man digging through piles of boards from a collapsed house in Wajima.

Anxious residents gathered outside their homes in Wajima, some holding children in their arms.

"Books fell off bookshelves and it was the worst shaking I have ever felt," one local official told NHK.

Aftershocks are still expected....hope they'll be on the mild side.  

Peridot

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

Japan has so many quakes. I don't see how anyone ever gets used to that.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

View PostKosh, on Mar 26 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

Japan has so many quakes. I don't see how anyone ever gets used to that.

Well, I know I sure couldn't. :blink: But the island of Japan sits on top of four tectonic plates, as I recall...so maybe people get used to it because they have grown up with it.  

They were lucky, though...no real tsunami even though there was the possibility.  There was another quake tonight near the Solomon Islands by Australia, and some of those towns weren't so fortunate. :unsure:

http://news.yahoo.co...ific_earthquake

Those things scare the heck out of me....

Peridot

Edited by Peridot, 01 April 2007 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Japan, Earthquake, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users