#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:57 AM

From

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/6501583.stm

Mr Bush "is disappointed that the Senate continues down a path with a bill that he will veto and has no chance of becoming law," his deputy press secretary, Dana Perino, said in a statement.

Okay, now my question goes as follows. A presidential Veto is something that should hopefully be used sparingly, because a president that uses a veto too freely is basically stating that he refuses to listen to the rest of his goverment. Bush has already threatened to veto any number of bills that conflict with his own views, which imo creates a somewhat dangerous situation where a single individual, in this case the sitting president, is actually ignoring the elected representatives of his countries people.

Surely in a 'by the people for the people' type of goverment, the head of goverment cannot simply ignore the rest of it's goverment on any concistent basis?

Assuming Bush goes through with his veto, does the rest of the goverment have any recourse, or will this simpoly prove very publicly that Bush feels he doesn't have to listen to the rest of the goverment, and if so doesn't that through the concept of checks and balances out of whack?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

If a bill has a large enough majority behind it (I think 3/4, but I'm not certain so don't quote that) it will override a presidential veto.  So if enough of the house and senate try to pass a law that the president wants to veto, he gets overruled.

Of course, getting that many people to go against the president tends to be awfully hard.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#3 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Mar 28 2007, 03:57 AM, said:

Assuming Bush goes through with his veto, does the rest of the goverment have any recourse, or will this simpoly prove very publicly that Bush feels he doesn't have to listen to the rest of the goverment, and if so doesn't that through the concept of checks and balances out of whack?
Congress then need a 2/3 majority to override the veto.  The Democrats in Congress have a better chance of floating to the moon with all their extra hot air than actually getting a 2/3 majority to override.  Pelosi had to resort to threats and bribery to even get it to the pass in the first place.  So their bill is little more than a token gesture.  I'm sure plenty of people will complain about the veto but Presidents have been wielding than authority since George Washington.  Some use it more sparingly but others use it far more than Bush has ever used his.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 28 March 2007 - 05:48 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:15 AM

So if Bush Veto's does it go back to congres to be re-voted on, or would they have to pass it with more than 2/3rds prior to the veto and then it would be unveto-able?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Soton

Soton
  • Islander
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Mar 28 2007, 07:15 AM, said:

So if Bush Veto's does it go back to congres to be re-voted on, or would they have to pass it with more than 2/3rds prior to the veto and then it would be unveto-able?

If Bush vetoes the bill, it goes back to Congress for the override vote.  The margain of the vote to pass the bill initally doesn't matter.

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

Gode: Bush has already threatened to veto any number of bills that conflict with his own views, which imo creates a somewhat dangerous situation where a single individual, in this case the sitting president, is actually ignoring the elected representatives of his countries people.

Bush, like most presidents, has threatened to veto on many occasions, but he actually has only used the veto once--this past fall when he vetoed the stem cell research bill. This is because he's had Republican majorities in both the House and the Senate until the midterm election and the executive and the legislative branches were willing to scratch each other's backs:

http://www.csmonitor...01s04-uspo.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

CJ writes:
"The Democrats in Congress have a better chance of floating to the moon with all their extra hot air than actually getting a 2/3 majority to override. Pelosi had to resort to threats and bribery to even get it to the pass in the first place. "

:lol:
I'll take that bet! - 10 will get me 20 they make it to the big ball of cheese with the guidance of Madam Speaker.  Wasn't landing on the moon one of their "6 for 6" .... or "1st 1oo Hours" or somesuch?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Presidential Veto, Executive Branch, Constitution, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users