Election 2008 Romney NRA Credentials Republicans

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

Looks like Romney's been embellishing his hunting resume and re-inventing himself as an NRA guy.

http://www.signonsan...ey-hunting.html

By Glen Johnson
ASSOCIATED PRESS

10:55 a.m. April 4, 2007

BOSTON – To hear Mitt Romney talk on the campaign trail, you might think the Republican presidential candidate had a gun rack in the back of his pickup truck.

“I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life,” he said this week in Keene, N.H., to a man sporting a National Rifle Association cap.

Yet the former Massachusetts governor's hunting experience is limited to two trips at the bookends of his 60 years: as a 15-year-old, when he hunted rabbits with his cousins on a ranch in Idaho, and last year, when he shot quail on a fenced game preserve in Georgia.

Last year's trip was an outing with major donors to the Republican Governors Association, which Romney headed at the time.

An aide said Wednesday that Romney was not trying to mislead anyone, although he confirmed Romney had been hunting only on those occasions in his life.

Expressing familiarity with and support for gun rights is key among Republican presidential contenders, who count gun owners, members of the military and the NRA itself among their potential supporters.

It helps explain why Romney joined the NRA last August, signing up not just as a supporter but a designated “Lifetime” member, and why he has softened his gun control positions.

Romney told a Derry, N.H., audience, “I'm after the NRA's endorsement. I'm not sure they'll give it to me. I hope they will. I also joined because if I'm going to ask for their endorsement, they're going to ask for mine.”

During a 1994 U.S. Senate campaign, Romney positioned himself as a moderate outsider, warning special interest groups to stay out of the race and saying he supported the Brady gun control law and a ban on assault rifles.

“That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA,” he told the Boston Herald at the time. “I don't line up with a lot of special interest groups.”

Edited by Spectacles, 05 April 2007 - 12:06 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

*snerk* They ought to know better than to embroider in the current climate, where lies get refuted almost immediately. My opinion of Romney's intelligence just went down a notch.  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

But wait! There's more:

http://www.bluemassg...do?diaryId=6798

Jeez....Name an issue and Romney's been on either side of it.

The GOP better hope that Fred Thompson puts his hat in the ring. At this point, I think he might be the only viable GOP candidate.

Rudy is too liberal for social conservatives. McCain has alienated just about everyone across the political spectrum. Romney is a chameleon. So Fred Thompson is looking like the best hope the GOP has for keeping control of the executive branch. I really do look for him to enter the race soon.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I really think this is the problem with beginning the campaign so early--there is so much time to uncover all these dramatic embellishments.  We'll all be so weary of this come next April we'll begin to look around for anyone but the current frontrunner's--meaning for the GOP Fred Thompson or Newt.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 12:03 PM, said:

By Glen Johnson
ASSOCIATED PRESS. . .

During a 1994 U.S. Senate campaign, Romney positioned himself as a moderate outsider, warning special interest groups to stay out of the race and saying he supported the Brady gun control law and a ban on assault rifles.

"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA," he told the Boston Herald at the time. "I don't line up with a lot of special interest groups."
This won't set well with a lot of gun owners, and I speak as one.  A lot of gun owners, not just NRA members, despised the "Brady Ban," so to see this 1994 quote will definitely help cool some of the gun owner vote towards him.  It's giving me pause.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#6 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Apr 5 2007, 02:14 PM, said:

By Glen Johnson
ASSOCIATED PRESS. . .

"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA," he told the Boston Herald at the time. "I don't line up with a lot of special interest groups."
This won't set well with a lot of gun owners, and I speak as one.  A lot of gun owners, not just NRA members, despised the "Brady Ban," so to see this 1994 quote will definitely help cool some of the gun owner vote towards him.  It's giving me pause.

Ditto.
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

....come next April we'll begin to look around for anyone but the current frontrunner's--meaning for the GOP Fred Thompson or Newt.

Fred Thompson maybe. Newt, I'm not so sure. Newt is sort of the right's Hillary--too much baggage, too many memories of the nasty partisanship of the nineties.

Also, speaking of Newt, he really stepped in it this week when, in an argument against bilingual education, he got carried away and said that Spanish was "the language of the ghetto."

To make amends, he taped the following apology. It's in Spanish with English subtitles. But his pronunciation is so poor that I hope it also comes with Spanish subtitles :) :

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

By Glen Johnson
ASSOCIATED PRESS. . .

LC, if you get a chance, read the blog entry I linked above. Romney has a track record of saying whatever he thinks he needs to say to any special interest group. Before his Senate race and gubernatorial race, when appealing to a Massachusetts electorate, he told abortion-rights people he was pro-choice, told environmentalists he was concerned about global warming, told Log Cabin Republicans he supported civil unions and gay families, and told people who worked for passage of embryonic stem cell research legislation that he was all for it. Now that he's trying to appeal to Republican voters in national primaries, he's totally reversed himself on all of those issues.

Sure, all politicians are notorious for saying whatever they think will get them elected and thus tailoring their remarks to their audience, but Romney has perhaps out-flip-flopped anyone who ever flopped a flip. He must really think the voters are gullible and ill-informed enough for him to pull this off. I think he's toast.

#9 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

Also, speaking of Newt, he really stepped in it this week when, in an argument against bilingual education, he got carried away and said that Spanish was "the language of the ghetto."

You gettoa love Nyet, I mean, Newt. He's better at shooting himself in the foot.
Can't Touch This!!

#10 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

“I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life,”

Well, if that's what he says, I'll believe him, and when he changes his mind, I'll believe that, too!  I bet he is a hunter.  He's probably hunted for car keys, hunted for bargains, hunted  for a pair of pants that really fit well, hunted for votes, and now he's gonna hunt for credibility!  

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 10:26 AM, said:

But wait! There's more:

http://www.bluemassg...do?diaryId=6798

Jeez....Name an issue and Romney's been on either side of it.

The GOP better hope that Fred Thompson puts his hat in the ring. At this point, I think he might be the only viable GOP candidate.

Rudy is too liberal for social conservatives. McCain has alienated just about everyone across the political spectrum. Romney is a chameleon. So Fred Thompson is looking like the best hope the GOP has for keeping control of the executive branch. I really do look for him to enter the race soon.

Not only that, I saw a survey recently where people said they wouldn't vote for anyone who'd been divorced (count out Rudy, who's been married 3 times), nor would they vote for someone over 70 (count out McCain) and they wouldn't vote for someone who'd had a major illness (count out Rudy and Romney, who've both had cancer). That doesn't leave much, does it? :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 03:13 PM, said:

By Glen Johnson
ASSOCIATED PRESS. . .

This won't set well with a lot of gun owners, and I speak as one. A lot of gun owners, not just NRA members, despised the "Brady Ban," so to see this 1994 quote will definitely help cool some of the gun owner vote towards him. It's giving me pause.

LC, if you get a chance, read the blog entry I linked above. Romney has a track record of saying whatever he thinks he needs to say to any special interest group. Before his Senate race and gubernatorial race, when appealing to a Massachusetts electorate, he told abortion-rights people he was pro-choice, told environmentalists he was concerned about global warming, told Log Cabin Republicans he supported civil unions and gay families, and told people who worked for passage of embryonic stem cell research legislation that he was all for it. Now that he's trying to appeal to Republican voters in national primaries, he's totally reversed himself on all of those issues.

Sure, all politicians are notorious for saying whatever they think will get them elected and thus tailoring their remarks to their audience, but Romney has perhaps out-flip-flopped anyone who ever flopped a flip. He must really think the voters are gullible and ill-informed enough for him to pull this off. I think he's toast.
"Tailoring" your positions to reach a certain group in the electorate is not uncommon.  What Romney's doing, the "I'm here!  Now there!" bit really doesn't endear folks to his, for the lack of a better word, indecision.  And that's what it smells like.  But, in reality, it's probably just good ol' fashioned pandering.

Clinton needs to send Mitt the "Pander Bear" that GWHB sent him in the 1992 election.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

#13 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Apr 5 2007, 11:14 AM, said:

By Glen Johnson
ASSOCIATED PRESS. . .

Same here.

Sounds like he's been reading John Kerry's "Flip-flopping for Dummies" book.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#14 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

"I supported the Brady Ban before I was against it," syndrome.

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 04:03 PM, said:

Ay, pero que clase de bruto es Newt? Que se crea este pendejo-que su mierda es helado?! Diga a ese bruto que el debia sacar su cabeza de su culo apestoso. :p

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#16 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:31 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Apr 6 2007, 07:50 PM, said:

"I supported the Brady Ban before I was against it," syndrome.

Kind of like "I supported the Iraq war before I was against it" syndrome that Hillary's got.  Yes, I had to include it.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#17 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

I'm not a big fan of Romney and I don't think he stands a chance against McCain or Rudi in primaries...

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 01:26 PM, said:

Rudy is too liberal for social conservatives.

Social Conservatives will jump on Rudi compared to the possibility of facing a Clinton or Obama White House.  I think the Democrats are setting themselves up for a rude surprise.  They aren't paying attention to how willing moderate and liberal Republicans will be in their backing of Rudi.  And they are failing to account for the anyone but Hillary voters among the social conservatives.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

http://www.boston.co...unting_license/

By Glen Johnson, Associated Press Writer  |  April 7, 2007

BOSTON --Officials in the four states where Mitt Romney has lived say the Republican presidential contender, who calls himself a lifelong hunter, never took out a license.

Romney says that's because he has seldom hunted where he needed one.

Questions about his hunting activities trailed Romney this week after he remarked at a campaign stop that he has been a hunter nearly all his life. The next day, his campaign said Romney had been hunting only twice, once as a teenager in Idaho and again last year with GOP donors in Georgia.

That was wrong, Romney said the day after that, adding that he had hunted rabbits and other small animals for many years, mainly in Utah. Hunting certain small game there doesn't require a license.

Uh-huh....

Romney has been criticized for changing positions on issues such as abortion and gay rights during his campaign for the Republican nomination for president. Although he once supported strict gun control measures, he has spoken in favor of gun ownership rights while on the campaign trail and joined the National Rifle Association as a "Lifetime" member last year.

His staff refused Friday to provide details about his hunting history, including whose gun he used, with whom he hunted and whether he hunted in Utah as a college student or as an adult. He does not own a firearm, despite claiming to earlier this year.

Wow. It's one whopper after another with this guy....And reporters are having a blast with this. AP asked wildlife officials in all the states where "lifelong hunter" Romney has resided for any hunting registrations in his name.

Officials from Michigan, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, where a license is necessary to hunt such small game, said they could not immediately locate any license for Romney. An official in Utah said a change in state law last year blocked public access to license records.

Of the four states, Utah has the most liberal hunting regulations for small game. Jack rabbits can be hunted without a license and killed without limit, but cottontail rabbits and snowshoe hares require a license.

When he corrected his staff's statement during a news conference Thursday in Indianapolis, Romney said: "I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter, small varmints, if you will." He added: "I began when I was 15 or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then. More than two times."

:D

Why do I think Romney is including in those "more than two times" the one time he set a mouse trap? Or maybe he's including flies and mosquitoes in the "varmint" category. In which case, we've all been "lifelong hunters."

LC:
"Tailoring" your positions to reach a certain group in the electorate is not uncommon. What Romney's doing, the "I'm here! Now there!" bit really doesn't endear folks to his, for the lack of a better word, indecision. And that's what it smells like. But, in reality, it's probably just good ol' fashioned pandering.

Clinton needs to send Mitt the "Pander Bear" that GWHB sent him in the 1992 election.

Oh, I agree. It's pandering. But not all politicians do so as wildly as Romney has done. (I give many props to Rudy Guiliani for not pretending to have had a change of heart on his pro-choice position.)

Romney was pro-choice. Then he was anti-abortion. When he challenged Ted Kennedy for his Senate seat in '94, Kennedy said, "I'm pro-choice. My opponent is multiple-choice."  :D

Romney courted the gay and lesbian vote then challenged the Massachusetts gay marriage law with material right out of Focus for Family's propaganda.

Romney was for gun control. Now that he's trying to appeal to the GOP primary voters, he's a card-carrying, "lifetime," NRA-member--as of this past August when he bought himself that level of membership--the better to re-fashion his image as a pro-gun, pro-god, anti-gay candidate.

I think that the hunting fibs have actually blown the tires off his campaign. Voters are willing to believe that a candidate may have had a change of heart on abortion, embryonic stem cell research, and gay rights--as Romney claims. But at some point, there needs to be a period on the list of topics on which the candidate has changed position. Romney's list is too long, and he's been caught in brazen, flat-out lies on the "lifelong hunter" baloney--stupid, easily-checked-out lies like saying he's a gun owner when he doesn't own a gun.

I honestly don't think his campaign can recover from this. It's sort of Romney's "Dean scream" moment when he becomes more caricature than serious candidate.

Edited by Spectacles, 07 April 2007 - 08:18 AM.

#19 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Apr 7 2007, 09:04 AM, said:

I'm not a big fan of Romney and I don't think he stands a chance against McCain or Rudi in primaries...

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 01:26 PM, said:

Rudy is too liberal for social conservatives.

Social Conservatives will jump on Rudi compared to the possibility of facing a Clinton or Obama White House.  I think the Democrats are setting themselves up for a rude surprise.  They aren't paying attention to how willing moderate and liberal Republicans will be in their backing of Rudi.  And they are failing to account for the anyone but Hillary voters among the social conservatives.

Oh, I'm not. I think if Hillary is the nominee, the GOP has a good chance of keeping control of the executive branch.

The question with Rudy is whether or not he can make it through the GOP primaries. There are a lot of social conservatives for whom abortion is the defining issue, and Rudy is on their bad side. Sure, the moderate and liberal Republicans will back Rudy--as will moderate and conservative Democrats if Hillary is running against him. But it remains to be seen if there are enough moderates and liberals left in the GOP to get Rudy past the primaries. It's going to be interesting.

#20 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 7 2007, 08:16 AM, said:

LC:
"Tailoring" your positions to reach a certain group in the electorate is not uncommon. What Romney's doing, the "I'm here! Now there!" bit really doesn't endear folks to his, for the lack of a better word, indecision. And that's what it smells like. But, in reality, it's probably just good ol' fashioned pandering.

Oh, I agree. It's pandering. But not all politicians do so as wildly as Romney has done. (I give many props to Rudy Guiliani for not pretending to have had a change of heart on his pro-choice position.)

Romney was pro-choice. Then he was anti-abortion. When he challenged Ted Kennedy for his Senate seat in '94, Kennedy said, "I'm pro-choice. My opponent is multiple-choice." :D

Romney courted the gay and lesbian vote then challenged the Massachusetts gay marriage law with material right out of Focus for Family's propaganda.

Romney was for gun control. Now that he's trying to appeal to the GOP primary voters, he's a card-carrying, "lifetime," NRA-member--as of this past August when he bought himself that level of membership--the better to re-fashion his image as a pro-gun, pro-god, anti-gay candidate.

I think that the hunting fibs have actually blown the tires off his campaign. Voters are willing to believe that a candidate may have had a change of heart on abortion, embryonic stem cell research, and gay rights--as Romney claims. But at some point, there needs to be a period on the list of topics on which the candidate has changed position. Romney's list is too long, and he's been caught in brazen, flat-out lies on the "lifelong hunter" baloney--stupid, easily-checked-out lies like saying he's a gun owner when he doesn't own a gun.

I honestly don't think his campaign can recover from this. It's sort of Romney's "Dean scream" moment when he becomes more caricature than serious candidate.
His campaign is looking more and more like a tricycle without the front wheel.  The revelation of this "life-long hunter" not being such has opened the door for some serious discrediting of his positions.  The knife is stuck pretty hard into this turker of a campaign and I'm waiting for the thermometer that says he's done to pop.  

I can respect a man who takes positions and holds them, even if they aren't what I can agree with.  Roam-ney has meandered on his positions more than the Mississippi River and I can respect that at all.  He's become the political version of a whore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, Romney, NRA Credentials, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users