Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Romney: Wascally Waffler?

Election 2008 Romney NRA Credentials Republicans

  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

    Warship Guru!

  • Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 7 2007, 09:25 AM, said:

The question with Rudy is whether or not he can make it through the GOP primaries. There are a lot of social conservatives for whom abortion is the defining issue, and Rudy is on their bad side. Sure, the moderate and liberal Republicans will back Rudy--as will moderate and conservative Democrats if Hillary is running against him. But it remains to be seen if there are enough moderates and liberals left in the GOP to get Rudy past the primaries. It's going to be interesting.

Rudi has several things going for him in the primaries:

1) The social conservatives have no viable candidate to support in the primaries.  At least none that has a chance of challenging Rudi in terms of war chest or political prestige.  Their is no neoconservative or social conservative in the race of any standing who has a chance.    
2) The chance of Hillary or Obama beating a weak Republican candidate is going to be a bigger arrow through the heart of most social conservatives than a strong Rudi being their candidate even if he is a liberal Republican.  
3) Rudi seems to have the support of characters like Limbaugh and Hannity.  I'm not sure why but I suspect because they think he has the best chance of beating the Democrats even if his politics are different from their own.  The fact is that both hold huge sway with social conservatives.  
4) When it comes down to it I suspect all but the most inane social conservatives would rather trying to twist the arm of a liberal Republican to do their bidding than have to face a Democrat who will ignore or worse work against them.
5) Rudi is viewed as being strong on crime and a wartime leader who is strong in times of crisis.  
6) Moderate Republicans are fed up with the neocons and are likely to be a stronger force in the primaries.  

The fact is that the polls bear this out.  While Rudi's numbers are better with moderate and liberal Republicans he is still in the lead with social conservatives too.  When it comes down to it if you don't have a horse that can win the race are you going to go home or are you going to put the money on the horse who can beat your arch enemy.  I think everyone understands that if Rudi makes it through the primaries that of all the Republicans he has the best chance of slaying Hillary. The fact that Hillary only loses to Hillary in NY State by 50 to 42 percent indicates just how much he can appeal to even Blue State citizens.  He actually ties with Obama in NY in some polls and out distances both him and Edwards in others.  The fact that he could make New York competitive says something about his national appeal.  When the Democrats have to devote resources to fight for NY State in a national election it isn't a good sign for them.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#22 offworlder

offworlder

    pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

  • Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

that is always the case with me and elections: while I'm not enamoured of the dem candidates, there are positively no gop ones I could even look at twice: I mean c'mon, look at these people!: Rudi G : M Romney : Diva Thompson : and even Navy JohnMac getting in the wavering positions and wavering trust winds ......... even if I was a ® I couldn't vote for any of those guys! and I have problems with Obama's lack of background and a-Hillary-in-power-positions-gone-power-mad? ~ so what's a body to do??!
;)
maybe I'll move up to Canada and rant on Harper eh?
:rolleyes:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#23 Rhea

Rhea

  • Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 6 2007, 08:16 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 5 2007, 04:03 PM, said:

Also, speaking of Newt, he really stepped in it this week when, in an argument against bilingual education, he got carried away and said that Spanish was "the language of the ghetto."

Ay, pero que clase de bruto es Newt? Que se crea este pendejo-que su mierda es helado?! Diga a ese bruto que el debia sacar su cabeza de su culo apestoso. :p

:rolleyes:

Pendejo is right. :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#24 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

Here's someone who agrees with you about Rudy, CJ:

http://www.theweekly...s...icle=13370

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how he does in states where the GOP has relied on socially conservative "values voters," all of whom care most about overturning Roe v Wade and keeping gays from getting married. It will be interesting to see how willing they are to put aside their convictions and vote for a socially liberal candidate who has close gay friends, dresses in drag for gags on occasion, and is pro-choice.

I honestly have no idea how this will play out. I know that he appeals to "law and order" conservatives, so that will certainly help him. What may happen is that the "values voters" will sit out the primaries, having no candidate that they see as a true social conservative. That could benefit Rudy. Turnout and demographics will be interesting to watch in the primaries.

The problem is that the "values voters" may sit out the general election as well. In 2000, the evangelicals didn't trust Bush, stayed home and Gore actually won the popular vote. That alarmed Rove enough that he vowed to get the evangelicals to the polls in 2004. It's an important voting block for the GOP, one that has historically opted out of elections rather than compromise. And since 2004, the trend in voter registrations has favored Democrats. That and the Independents tend to view Democrats more favorably. So that "values voter" block is key.

It's just going to be interesting to see whether they show up at the polls. Maybe they will.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#25 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

    Where's the rum?

  • Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

I really don't know about how you all feel, but me, I'm tired.  Why do politicians think we are so stupid?  Why lie like this when they should know better not to since they are going to get called on it?  Gun owners are not a bunch of uneducated rednecks named Jethro.  They do their homework quite thouroughly as to who they want to side with.  Right now, they're having a field day with Romney's dumb-a$$ claims, and I don't blame them.  No one likes to be lied to.  You don't become President (or anything for that matter) by lying your way into it.  Although it can, and has been done, my point is it shouldn't be.  

Right now, with all the candidates, nearly all of them are very poor choices.  The only one I'd back is Edwards.  Why?  Because out of the whole bunch, he carries himself like a real educated gentleman.  He hasn't gone out making outragiously false claims like Romney, and doesn't have a laundry list like Hillary does.  Does he stand a chance, I don't know.  Same goes for McCain.  He may not be a young man, but he is of sound mind and his body still functional.

I really really REALLY feel Americans are screwed this election. :(
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#26 Rhea

Rhea

  • Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

View PostSpidey, on Apr 7 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

I really don't know about how you all feel, but me, I'm tired.  Why do politicians think we are so stupid?  Why lie like this when they should know better not to since they are going to get called on it?  Gun owners are not a bunch of uneducated rednecks named Jethro.  They do their homework quite thouroughly as to who they want to side with.  Right now, they're having a field day with Romney's dumb-a$$ claims, and I don't blame them.  No one likes to be lied to.  You don't become President (or anything for that matter) by lying your way into it.  Although it can, and has been done, my point is it shouldn't be.

It shows a certain level of stupidity, IMO. In this day and age any claims candidates make are going to be examined under a microscope and lying will be exposed. Why do it in the first okace?  :wacko:

Sometimes politicians get caught with their pants down, but he dropped his and bent over in advance. :p

Edited by Rhea, 08 April 2007 - 12:53 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#27 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

    Where's the rum?

  • Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:18 AM

View PostRhea, on Apr 8 2007, 10:52 AM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Apr 7 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

I really don't know about how you all feel, but me, I'm tired.  Why do politicians think we are so stupid?  Why lie like this when they should know better not to since they are going to get called on it?  Gun owners are not a bunch of uneducated rednecks named Jethro.  They do their homework quite thouroughly as to who they want to side with.  Right now, they're having a field day with Romney's dumb-a$$ claims, and I don't blame them.  No one likes to be lied to.  You don't become President (or anything for that matter) by lying your way into it.  Although it can, and has been done, my point is it shouldn't be.

It shows a certain level of stupidity, IMO. In this day and age any claims candidates make are going to be examined under a microscope and lying will be exposed. Why do it in the first okace?  :wacko:

Sometimes politicians get caught with their pants down, but he dropped his and bent over in advance. :p

I like agreeing with you Rhea. :cool:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#28 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

    Warship Guru!

  • Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 7 2007, 04:43 PM, said:

The problem is that the "values voters" may sit out the general election as well. In 2000, the evangelicals didn't trust Bush, stayed home and Gore actually won the popular vote.
I actually hope they do sit the election out.  They need to have a blow to their sense of self importance along with the importance that many others assign to them.  The thing is that Rudi is going to appeal to voters who sit in the center to a far greater amount than Bush in a general election especially if he is running against a dividing candidate like Hillary.  If Rudi makes it to the popular election the evangelicals will be about as important as the communists in the election.  It will be a battle over the center and I suspect it will make several blue states that the Democrats take for granted into battlegrounds.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#29 Rhea

Rhea

  • Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

View PostSpidey, on Apr 9 2007, 01:18 AM, said:

View PostRhea, on Apr 8 2007, 10:52 AM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Apr 7 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

I really don't know about how you all feel, but me, I'm tired.  Why do politicians think we are so stupid?  Why lie like this when they should know better not to since they are going to get called on it?  Gun owners are not a bunch of uneducated rednecks named Jethro.  They do their homework quite thouroughly as to who they want to side with.  Right now, they're having a field day with Romney's dumb-a$$ claims, and I don't blame them.  No one likes to be lied to.  You don't become President (or anything for that matter) by lying your way into it.  Although it can, and has been done, my point is it shouldn't be.

It shows a certain level of stupidity, IMO. In this day and age any claims candidates make are going to be examined under a microscope and lying will be exposed. Why do it in the first okace?  :wacko:

Sometimes politicians get caught with their pants down, but he dropped his and bent over in advance. :p

I like agreeing with you Rhea. :cool:

Me too. We should enjoy it while it lasts. ;)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, Romney, NRA Credentials, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users