Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Ann Coulter's Take on Evolution

Media Ann Coulter Evolution Book-Godless 2007

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

This from LiveScience:

In the summer of 2006, I heard that a new book called Godless presented an insightful and devastating criticism of the theory of evolution. Although I learned that its author, Ann Coulter, is not a scientist but a lawyer turned author and TV pundit, she nevertheless appeared to be an intelligent and well-educated person, so I started reading.

At first I was puzzled. There did not seem to be anything new; only tired and outdated antievolution arguments involving moths, finches, and fruit flies. But it wasn’t until Coulter dusted off the old Piltdown man story that I suddenly realized: it was a hoax! And it was brilliant.

OK.  I know many many people thoroughly hate Ms. Coulter. But here's the kicker:

Coulter has very cleverly written a fake criticism of evolution, much like the way NYU physicist Alan Sokal in 1996 published a fake physics article in a literary journal, an affair that has become known as the “Sokal hoax.” A self-proclaimed “old unabashed leftist,” Sokal was disturbed by the sloppily antiscientific, postmodernistic mentality that had started to replace reason and rationality within the academic left and ingeniously made his point by managing to get his nonsense article published by the very people he wished to expose.

Coulter’s aim at antiscience is at the other end of the political spectrum. An equally unabashed rightist, she is apparently disturbed by how factions within the political right abandon their normally rational standards when it comes to the issue of evolution. However, whereas Sokal revealed his hoax in a separate article, Coulter challenges her readers to find out the truth for themselves. Without claiming to do justice to Coulter’s multifaceted and sometimes subtle satire, I will attempt to outline some of her most amusing and salient points.

Interesting read...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:21 AM

Is there a link to the article?
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:17 AM

I'm sorry but the moment someone uses Piltdown man in their arguments I can no longer take them seriously (not that I ever took Ann Coulter seriously, but still)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

View PostJazzergold, on Apr 9 2007, 01:21 AM, said:

Is there a link to the article?

Sorry! Thought I'd put it there already.

http://www.livescien...ulter_hoax.html

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 9 2007, 05:17 AM, said:

I'm sorry but the moment someone uses Piltdown man in their arguments I can no longer take them seriously (not that I ever took Ann Coulter seriously, but still)

Um... you're pretty much missing the point here, nearly entirely... ;)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

From what the article said, I take it she is making fun of people who use stupid arguments against Evolution, although I would have to read her words myself before I believed it. The writer here may be making fun of her. But being that it is her book, I am not going to find out.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

Interesting.
Coulter's "How to Talk To A Liberal If You Must" book was at my friends and I tried starting it,
but couldn't dig the cruel humor.  I think she's more entertaining in speeches/interviews.
She was caught by a Canadian interviewer on the fact that Canada hadn't fought in Vietnam, something like that,
and after she realized she was severely mistaken, brushed him off with:  "I'll get back to you on that." :laughlong:

I hadn't known there was controversy over peppered moth photos; this is similar if not the one I recall from my old textbook days:
Posted Image

Were/are anti-evolutionists upset that moths were artificially placed on different colored barks (ie. not captured in nature)?  Or were there different spp. of moths actually used... or what?   :blink:

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 09 April 2007 - 09:43 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#7 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

^ Regarding the moths:

http://emporium.turn...sics/sld014.htm
The information linked to above concerning moths appears accurate; I don't vouch for the site as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia...._moth_evolution

Edited by Solar Wind, 09 April 2007 - 10:05 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

In conclusion, Coulter has written a biting satire over the trend of anti-intellectualism that clouds part of the conservative ideology, which is otherwise based on principle and reason. If I have any objection to Coulter’s piece, it would be that it is a bit lengthy, but perhaps this too is part of the satire, as some antievolution pieces tend to be pretty verbose. There are also some things I don’t fully understand, for example several references to bestiality and some seemingly nonsequitur remarks about Cher and Elton John. Considering how wonderfully multilayered Coulter’s writing is, I am sure there is a perfectly logical explanation.

:D

I think the author is being subtly satirical himself. He's taking unfounded and dubious assertions Coulter makes about evolution and is attributing to her a wink that she most likely is *not* giving. In short, his take is "she's *got* to be kidding."
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

I wondered myself if that was what was going on.   OTOH, it would be a great piece of fun if it were not.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

^It's kinda fun anyway to imagine that Coulter would actually bite the hand that feeds her. :)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

Ann Coulter is proof that some humans evolved are in the process of evolving from horses.

This is one area where the right wing screwed up by getting in bed with churches so much.   They're a valuable voting block, sure, but they're also the most divisive force in the world.  Nothing makes schisms better than religion... and it got so embedded with the Republican party that we're now seeing the party begin to fracture.  Even Ann Coulter, who's about as blindly supportive of all-things-Republican as anyone, is apparently feeling torn now.  I know a few Republicans who are kind of put off by some of the things their party is doing... they believe in a lot of the tenets, but don't have a problem with gay marriage, believe in global warming, and think denial of evolution is completely crazy, so they're starting to get uneasy.

So, I'm not surprised to see this happening, but I am a little surprised to see Ann Coulter being one of the ones who's parting company.  I guess she's getting upset that so many Republicans are starting to be embarrassed by her, so she's more willing to divide...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on Apr 9 2007, 03:00 PM, said:

Um... you're pretty much missing the point here, nearly entirely... ;)

QT

No, I do get it. Satire and all that, Yay. Unfortunately i've spoken to creationists who genuinely believe that Piltdown man is proof of the failure of evolution.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

View PostZwolf, on Apr 9 2007, 12:00 PM, said:

Ann Coulter is proof that some humans evolved are in the process of evolving from horses.

Gee-thanks for taking a cheap shot at horses, Z. Did a horsie poop in your cornflakes or what??

:p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Ann Coulter, Evolution, Book-Godless, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users