73 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/6538957.stm

Iran can now produce nuclear fuel on an industrial scale, President Ahmadinejad has announced, in a move likely to further strain tensions with the West

He gave no details of Iran's capacity, but some officials said 3,000 uranium gas enrichment centrifuges were running at the Natanz plant in central Iran.

The Iranian president again asserted his country's right to nuclear development for peaceful purposes.

And he also warned that Iran would have no choice but to review its membership of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty if further pressure was applied by the West.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

I'm no nuclear expert, but isn't 3000 centrifuges a small fraction of the number Iran needs to meet its enrichment requirements for nuclear weapons? This analysis says that Iran needs 50,000 centrifuges to do this. It also says that using spent fuel from the Busheir light water reactor is a much faster way for Iran to get the necessary quantities of weapons-grade uranium. Commentary by someone with more understanding of this than I have would be welcome.

Edited by Solar Wind, 09 April 2007 - 01:01 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

There is of course the absolutely shocking possibility that the Nantaz facility is designed for nuclear power rather than nuclear weapons.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

If you think that Iran is not making or not going to make nuclear weapons, I've got a bridge in New York I can sell you.  I'd sure hate to say "I told you so" after a big mushroom cloud blows up over some European city, or in Israel.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

^ Assuming Iran would be stupid enough to do that. Why would Iran want to nuke Europe, anyway?

Now, do you trust the Bush Administration to fight a war against Iran, given how things have turned out in Iraq and Afghanistan? 0 for 2 is not a promising track record. If military action must be taken, better to wait for a different Administration to do it. Iran is unlikely to have a nuclear bomb before 2009.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#6 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Iran might have nuclear weapons in a few years... the US has nuclear weapons now. and yet Iran is the threat...
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

View PostSpidey, on Apr 9 2007, 07:40 PM, said:

If you think that Iran is not making or not going to make nuclear weapons, I've got a bridge in New York I can sell you.  I'd sure hate to say "I told you so" after a big mushroom cloud blows up over some European city, or in Israel.

I'm thinking that Iran for all that folks here like to claim it's a barbaric backwater is a modern industrialised nation, and has a fairly sharp is undemocratic goverment. I'm thinking that the concept of MAD is as valid today as it was back when the term was first coined.

Defy Gravity!

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Gee, you mean Iran is joining North Korea as a nuclear power? And this after our president called them "evil," refused to talk to them, and showed them how we mean by-god business by overthrowing (non-nuclear) Saddam? Don't they know that when the U.S. has leadership that talks loudly and wildly swings a big stick that they're supposed to not antagonize us?

Gode: I'm thinking that the concept of MAD is as valid today as it was back when the term was first coined.

I wish, but I'm not so sure it is.

Back during the Cold War, I never really feared that the Russians would nuke us because they, like us, mainly wanted their kids to grow up, get an education, have as good a life as possible. We share a similar, Western world-view in many respects. I always worried instead about radical Islamists getting hold of nukes. If they decided to light up one or more of our cities, it would be an act of religious devotion and they'd not only not fear but actually welcome the consequences. They'd die in a state of grace.

So, we have a serious problem. But it's not a new problem. Nuclear-armed Pakistan is home to large numbers of thoroughly rabid Islamists. The only thing that currently stands between our going boom and them is Musharraff. If they ever succeed in overthrowing him, that is going to be a dark day indeed for the Western Hemisphere.

What we need to do is find a way to get that crazy ideology to moderate. Puffing up our chests and threatening force is only making that ideology grow. We'd better find a more effective way of weakening it--and fairly soon.

Edited by Spectacles, 09 April 2007 - 03:14 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Apr 9 2007, 01:47 PM, said:

I'm no nuclear expert, but isn't 3000 centrifuges a small fraction of the number Iran needs to meet its enrichment requirements for nuclear weapons? This analysis says that Iran needs 50,000 centrifuges to do this. It also says that using spent fuel from the Busheir light water reactor is a much faster way for Iran to get the necessary quantities of weapons-grade uranium. Commentary by someone with more understanding of this than I have would be welcome.

According to what has been said on TV, Iran could have weapons grade nuclear material in two years instead of five, and Iran plans to add more centrifuges. They are going for weapons grade. They know Isreal has weapons, and they wont stop until they have them.
Can't Touch This!!

#10 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

What we need to do is find a way to get that crazy ideology to moderate.

An end to all religion.
Can't Touch This!!

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

View PostKosh, on Apr 9 2007, 04:22 PM, said:

What we need to do is find a way to get that crazy ideology to moderate.

An end to all religion.

I agree, Kosh-but we know that isn't going to happen. Religion will continue to exist until man is wiped off the face of the planet.

Also many of those radicals loathe us for the very fact that we simply exist. We are an abomination to those radicals-and because of that fact alone, we must die.

It's hard to get radicals like that to moderate, particularly if they are in positions of power and influence, with an eager audience.

Edited by Digital Man, 09 April 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#12 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

I'm exceedingly cautious about extremes of anything. Extreme religion, extreme anti-religion, extreme water drinking...you name it.

Also, what Specs said ^

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

View Postszhismine, on Apr 9 2007, 02:53 PM, said:

Iran might have nuclear weapons in a few years... the US has nuclear weapons now. and yet Iran is the threat...
Has the US used nuclear weapons since Nagasaki?  The US and USSR stared at each other for over 40 years during the Cold War with nuclear weapons at the ready.  Yet neither country blinked and launched their weapons.  Are you willing to put the same faith in religious nuts who believe that an 18 year old kid gets 70 virgins if they blow up a corner store full of other kids?  

Kosh: An end to all religion.
Are we going to kill all people who believe in religion?  

Your statement fails to explain why the two greatest mass murders of the 20th Century were communism and fascism political ideologies rather then religious .  Religion isn't the problem and someone who claims that is blinded by their own bigotry.  The problem is the human tendency to take any ideology to the point that they are willing to kill other human beings.  Need I remind you the good communists who  killed so many in the USSR, China, and Cambodia were a bunch of good godless atheists?  I suggest you take a look in your own heart and see the darkness that your suggestion could lead to if someone adopted the human idea of taking an ideology to the extreme.  Pretty soon it ends up at kill those religious people who cause all the trouble and that makes those people no better than the fundamentalist Muslims who wants to kill the "Zionist".      

Religion isn't the problem the problem is humanity taking ideas to the excess and being narrow minded fearing what they don't believe in themselves and your statement pretty much gives a taste of that.

(For once I find myself agreeing with Sparky on the extremes... Off to see if Satan's Hockey Team can win the Finals.....) ;)

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 09 April 2007 - 05:57 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

View Postszhismine, on Apr 9 2007, 02:53 PM, said:

Well lets see Iran which claims on a nearly daily basis to want to destroy Israel. They train and protect terrorist as well these terrorist who kidnap and kill people. They send their soldiers to agument terrorist with troops from their own army.

Yet we are a threat? We point out the reality that Iran is working towards it's professed goals.

Would say a nation which claims that it must destroy another one be a threat?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 9 2007, 04:14 PM, said:

What we need to do is find a way to get that crazy ideology to moderate. Puffing up our chests and threatening force is only making that ideology grow. We'd better find a more effective way of weakening it--and fairly soon.

No to get them to moderate is carry out the promise of force. Anything else is appeasing till they nickle and dime us with a war of words and get what they want.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Apr 9 2007, 11:55 PM, said:

Your statement fails to explain why the two greatest mass murders of the 20th Century were communism and fascism political ideologies rather then religious .  Religion isn't the problem and someone who claims that is blinded by their own bigotry.  The problem is the human tendency to take any ideology to the point that they are willing to kill other human beings.  Need I remind you the good communists who  killed so many in the USSR, China, and Cambodia were a bunch of good godless atheists?

I actually agree with you, but would like to clarify that they didn't commit their crimes in the name of Atheism, they committed their crimes in the names of Communism and fascism.

Defy Gravity!

#17 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

*re-reads CJ's post* :blink: There really is nothing else for it....

What CJ said!

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#18 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

Religion isn't the problem and someone who claims that is blinded by their own bigotry.

Not believeing in God does not make me a Bigot. Religion has been the basis for to many wars, and to many killings, and it is to much money now, and to little about love. The entire middle east hates us, and they are taught that by there religious leaders. Christains hate Muslums for the most part. Christain groups that don't agree on the Bible don't get along with each other.

The Administration talks about God on one hand, and tortures people on the other. Sorry, but I'm not the bigot.
Can't Touch This!!

#19 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 9 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Apr 9 2007, 11:55 PM, said:

Your statement fails to explain why the two greatest mass murders of the 20th Century were communism and fascism political ideologies rather then religious .  Religion isn't the problem and someone who claims that is blinded by their own bigotry.  The problem is the human tendency to take any ideology to the point that they are willing to kill other human beings.  Need I remind you the good communists who  killed so many in the USSR, China, and Cambodia were a bunch of good godless atheists?

I actually agree with you, but would like to clarify that they didn't commit their crimes in the name of Atheism, they committed their crimes in the names of Communism and fascism.

I agree with BOTH of you entirely.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#20 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

View PostKosh, on Apr 10 2007, 08:33 AM, said:

Religion isn't the problem and someone who claims that is blinded by their own bigotry.

Not believeing in God does not make me a Bigot. Religion has been the basis for to many wars, and to many killings, and it is to much money now, and to little about love. The entire middle east hates us, and they are taught that by there religious leaders. Christains hate Muslums for the most part. Christain groups that don't agree on the Bible don't get along with each other.

The Administration talks about God on one hand, and tortures people on the other. Sorry, but I'm not the bigot.

And no, not believing in God does not make you a bigot.

Actually, Kosh, true Christians do not hate Muslums (or anyone). But you are right that some Christian groups don't get along, but those that truly follow Christ do. Remember that many people who claim to be Christians are not. Many Americans believe that just being born here makes them a Christian..go figure. Many people call themselves Christians and do not follow Christ. These people are not Christians. A good rule I use to tell is "Do they treat people and act like Jesus did?" Jesus went so far as to even ask God to forgive those that crucified him, that is not a sign of a person who hates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Middle East, Iran, 2007, Nuclear Development

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users