• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/

Alright, first: I haven't seen the clip where Imus said the comments about the basketball players. But so far, on the web, all it keeps saying is that he called them "Nappy headed hos." And if that was all that he said, then this is nothing more then political correctness run wild.

I've heard, several times, black commedians refer to some women as "Nappy headed hos." And several black rappers refer to them as "video hos".

So it is apparently OK, and politically correct for black men to make "racist" comments against black women...cause if they are saying Imus is a racist because of these comments...then these comments must be "racist" comments...But if a white man makes fun of a black man, or woman, they are automatically racist.

That is some sh*t!

And you have Imus bowing down to people like Sharpton, begging forgiveness...And for a comment like that? Oh hell no!

What about when black commedians make fun of white people...Hey! What's good for one is good for the other....If a white man making fun of black people is automatically a racist...then the same is true for black men making fun of white people....But, apparently it is politically correct to have black people make fun of white people.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

I've never heard of that term before :eh:

But I agree LotS - the racism double standard is irritating.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Apr 10 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

I've never heard of that term before :eh:

But I agree LotS - the racism double standard is irritating.

Sparky

What's even more irritating is that MSNBC, by their actions, have put me in the position of defending Imus.

I don't watch Imus, cause I can't stand him. It's something with his voice, it's annoying...and Everytime I hear him my mind automatically wants to go to sleep. No lie. I deliberately recorded like a half hour of his show...Cause if I have trouble going to sleep at night, I put the tape in...five minutes later I'm sleeping like a baby.

The double standard really needs to be gotten rid of.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

LoTS: And if that was all that he said, then this is nothing more then political correctness run wild.

Well, not entirely. After all, there were real young women on the receiving end of this insult. And it *is* an insult. What Imus said was hurtful and it's right that he should be called on the carpet for it.

However, I do agree with you that I'd like to see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and others spend this same amount of outrage and fury speaking out against rappers and other black entertainers who do the same damned thing. Demeaning language is demeaning language, no matter who uses it. I realize that they've both expressed their disapproval about rap lyrics and the glorification of violence, etc.--but not with this degree of concerted urgency. Sharpton, in particular, is on a huge campaign about Imus's remarks--which would be fine if he'd put this much energy into condemning them when they've been uttered by rappers, etc. in the black community.

So, to sum up, (1) what Imus said about the Rutgers Women's Basketball team was not just "politically incorrect" but extremely insulting and (2) calling women hos, nappy-headed or otherwise, is something that ought to be met with the same amount of outrage regardless of the race of the person who does it.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

Here in New York, on our local NPR affiliate, there was a fair amount of discussion of disparaging remarks made towards black folks, from outside and within the black community itself. This happened before the Imus flap. I wish I could remember names-but the guests on this particular show were local black folks in prominent positions in the New York area. One called for the banning of the n-word, and he strongly criticized young black folks and musicians who used the word. He also disliked the idea of black folks taking that word and trying to take the sting out of it by trying to "own" it themselves, using it as a way to say hello to each other and in ways they deemed positive. The man went on to say that there is no way to take the sting out of that word-there was too much baggage associated with it. He said it was best that the word wasn't used by ANYONE-especially those in the black community.

I never liked Don Imus. If he disappeared from the airwaves forever, I wouldn't miss him. :p

Edited by Digital Man, 10 April 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

So, to sum up, (1) what Imus said about the Rutgers Women's Basketball team was not just "politically incorrect" but extremely insulting and (2) calling women hos, nappy-headed or otherwise, is something that ought to be met with the same amount of outrage regardless of the race of the person who does it.

It's not met with outrage unless a white man says it about black women.

Shapton wants Imus fired, I suppose Shapton will take up where Imus leves off, and start rasing millions of dollars a year for charity. Charities that don't ask your color when they provide help for kids.

Jesse "Hymeytown" Jackson can keep his mouth shut.

And where were Jackson and Shapton when the mess at Walter Reed became known, no where, and where were they when American Soldiers were dying in Iraq, and all the death benifit was was $6000.00.  That's to Imus, and a day after day rant, and calling polititions to the floor, the death benifit is $500,000.00.

If Imus goes off the air, the black community will suffer as much as anyone.
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

Banning The N-Word In New York

City Council Approve Resolution Banning N-Word
WNYC Newsroom

NEW YORK, NY February 28, 2007 —City Council members unanimously approved a symbolic resolution to ban the N-word. The resolution calls for New Yorkers -- including black youth -- to voluntarily stop using the word.

The resolution's sponsor, Councilman Leroy Comrie, says people are denigrating themselves by using the word, and disrespecting their history.

Supporters who attended the hearing wore small pins, featuring a single white "N" severed by a red slash and circle.

Council members will also vote on several measures, including one that would require night clubs to post security cameras at their entrances and exits. The nightlife bill's sponsors say it will make bars and nightclubs safer, but the New York Civil Liberties Union says some aspects of the proposal violate patrons' privacy.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

I've seen Al Sharpton on MSNBC, so I'm having trouble taking their outrage seriously.

Thanks for playing, though.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#9 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

While I'd prefer if people didn't use this type of language, it doesn't seem like a particularly virulent insult to me. The furor is disproportionate to the transgression IMO. I suspect manufactured outrage; some people want to flex their muscles and get people worked up.

Edited by Solar Wind, 10 April 2007 - 10:39 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

View PostKosh, on Apr 10 2007, 11:16 AM, said:

(snort)

Somehow, I doubt that. :p People are very fickle. He'll be forgotten.
Posted Image

#11 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 10 2007, 11:41 AM, said:

(snort)

There will be something on the order of 20 million a year missing from SIDS research and Autisum research. He will still run the Ranch for Kids with Cancer, but the rest suffer. Plus all the black families that will recieve $500,000 instead of $6000.00, they should remember him.

edit:

I forgot to mention the kids that have Asthma, and the work Imus and his wife do to get safer cleaning products on to the market.

Edited by Kosh, 10 April 2007 - 10:48 AM.

Can't Touch This!!

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

View PostKosh, on Apr 10 2007, 11:45 AM, said:

(snort)

There will be something on the order of 20 million a year missing from SIDS research and Autisum research. He will still run the Ranch for Kids with Cancer, but the rest suffer. Plus all the black families that will recieve $500,000 instead of $6000.00, they should remember him.

"Should" doesn't mean "will". And if those who buy commerical airtime on Imus's show feel he's damaged goods, his bosses aren't going to care. Basically-if Imus is indeed a force behind these organizations, he shot himself in the foot. He opened himself up to criticism-fair or not.

He should have known better, and has no one to blame for himself. He started the domino effect.
Posted Image

#13 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

I can't stand Imus just on the general principle that I hate old people who wear cowboy hats.  (That includes you, Kinky Friedman, you son of a b*tch!)  Plus, the dude looks like a mummy with a "John 3:16 guy" wig stuck on his head, and I'm shallow enough where I'll just go, "Yeah, y'know, I don't wanna like a guy who looks like an undead goof."  

I can't stand Imus's lame, also-ran radio career, either.  I'm tired of him mugging so desperately for significance.  He's a tiresome, paintfully-limited jackass, so I'm pretty much all in favor of anything that lands him in the s**t.   But, I gotta admit, this thing is a bit silly and overblown.   It was more stupid and goofy than actually hateful.  I get the feeling that Dave Chapelle would just laugh at it.  It ain't like the "Kramer" thing.  

So, yeah, overblown.

As for Imus getting suspended, though, hey, any means necessary, get 'im the f**k on out...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#14 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 10 2007, 11:55 AM, said:

View PostKosh, on Apr 10 2007, 11:45 AM, said:

(snort)

"Should" doesn't mean "will". And if those who buy commerical airtime on Imus's show feel he's damaged goods, his bosses aren't going to care. Basically-if Imus is indeed a force behind these organizations, he shot himself in the foot. He opened himself up to criticism-fair or not.

He should have known better, and has no one to blame for himself. He started the domino effect.

It was stupid thing to do, granted, but an apology should count for something, and if Sharpton or Jackson were half the man he is, they would recognize that, but instead, it is a chance to get into the spotlight and look like they are doing something for the black community, when in reallity, they are after the publicity.

And frankly, this business about Black commedianes being able to say whatever they want, about anyone they want, has gotten very old, when someone who has dedicated the last few years to helping others gets shot down for one comment. I love to watch Chapelle and Chris Rock and the Wayans and Greer and others, but if there is going to be a double standard, I mean, if Imus has to go, so do all of these other guys.
Can't Touch This!!

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

View PostKosh, on Apr 10 2007, 12:18 PM, said:

It was stupid thing to do, granted, but an apology should count for something...

Like I said-"should" doesn't mean "will".

...and if Sharpton or Jackson were half the man he is, they would recognize that, but instead, it is a chance to get into the spotlight and look like they are doing something for the black community, when in reallity, they are after the publicity.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And frankly, this business about Black commedianes being able to say whatever they want, about anyone they want, has gotten very old, when someone who has dedicated the last few years to helping others gets shot down for one comment. I love to watch Chapelle and Chris Rock and the Wayans and Greer and others, but if there is going to be a double standard, I mean, if Imus has to go, so do all of these other guys.

I agree, but double-standards are nothing new. And this isn't even the worst of them. That's the sad part.

:eh:
Posted Image

#16 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

Don Imus goes to that "moral pillar" (terminal sarcasm in effect) to apologize. Is the Comedy Channel producing this farce?
Imus is a jerk who has a disturbingly, to me, large audience and made an egregious insult to the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team.

Edited by Julianus, 10 April 2007 - 11:56 AM.

#17 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

View PostSolar Wind, on Apr 10 2007, 11:30 AM, said:

While I'd prefer if people didn't use this type of language, it doesn't seem like a particularly virulent insult to me. The furor is disproportionate to the transgression IMO. I suspect manufactured outrage; some people want to flex their muscles and get people worked up.

It is indeed particularly virulent. It insults a natural and distinctive feature of African-Americans (hair) and it states that the women are whores.

In what way is this not particularly virulent?

And while we're defending Imus on account of PC-run-wild... let me make my own position clear.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Darned straight Imus should have to apologize, at minimum.  And darn straight, comedians, black or white, should be boycotted for these kinds of slurs, depending on context. And while we're at it - before we go rushing off to excoriate rappers - how about doing something about music executives who promote this kind of music?  I know some people in the music industry who talk about how hard it is to get the mega-music-moguls to take seriously black music that ISN'T an example of the absolute worst that black people have to offer.  Just heard about a concert where the performers actually ACTIVELY incited a riot.  These were big names, with big name handlers, and no one went to jail - or if someone did- it was the rioters.  The very evil hand that stirred the pot?  Made money.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#18 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

Darned straight Imus should have to apologize, at minimum.

He has repeatedly. first on his website, live on the show, live on Shaptons radio hsow, live on "Today" this morning, and they are trying to meet with the Rutgers players and families, but so far, The team has refused.
Can't Touch This!!

#19 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

^ QT, the word 'nappy' doesn't have negative connotations to me so I don't view his comment as "[insulting] a natural and distinctive feature of African-Americans." If some African-Americans dislike their "natural and distinctive feature," that's more a reflection on them than on Imus.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

I'm glad he apologized.

And I'm glad the team won't meet with him.  Apology or no, no woman has to meet with some jerk who calls her a whore just for the fun of it.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Don Imus, Suspended, Women's Basketball, Racist remarks, 2007, Media

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users