• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:14 AM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18046103/

OK, where to start? I know....These men should start preparing to sue everyone involved for what happened to them. Begining with the lying stripper that filed the false charges against them. Then the DA, though not sure that is legally possible. Perhaps a lawyer would know. If NiFong is found guilty of the ethics charges against him, does that enable the players to file a lawsuit against him? And last but certainly not least, the university itself. The University which threw these young men to the wolves, who already prejudged them, and treated them as if they were already convicted men.

Sue all of them, and their families....take the shirts off their children's backs, put their wives and husbands in the poor house with them....make them have to beg on the street corner to make money.....And that's just for starters.

Nifong...He NEEDS to be in jail, preferably in general population. That way he can learn what Rape really means.

The lying stripper...First, she also needs to be in jail. If she has any children, they need to be removed from her care by CPS. Second. Her name, address, and phone number, NEED to be made public knowledge. Just like all the cable networks plastered these innocent young men's names and pictures on the front page, for all the world to see...they need to do that to her. Make everyone aware of who this lying woman is, what she looks like, so other people aren't taken in by this lying SoB.

And last but not least: All those groups that were so outraged at these players. That DEMANDED they be convicted and thrown in jail....those people need to publicly get down on their knees and kiss these player's shoes, and beg them for forgiveness.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

and their families....take the shirts off their children's backs, put their wives and husbands in the poor house with them....make them have to beg on the street corner to make money

wait a min, hold the phone ~ how did their children contribute to the actions against these three men? the prosecutor's and others' children just go to school, come home for sandwich, mildly hear about the fringes of this stuff in the fam as things go round and round, and they themselves did .... what?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

View Postoffworlder, on Apr 11 2007, 10:18 AM, said:

and their families....take the shirts off their children's backs, put their wives and husbands in the poor house with them....make them have to beg on the street corner to make money

wait a min, hold the phone ~ how did their children contribute to the actions against these three men? the prosecutor's and others' children just go to school, come home for sandwich, mildly hear about the fringes of this stuff in the fam as things go round and round, and they themselves did .... what?

Oh they did nothing. But if you go after them as well, you truly punish the person. And, perhaps the next Nifong that comes along will actually think before trying to railroad innocent people into prison.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Apr 11 2007, 08:14 AM, said:

The lying stripper...First, she also needs to be in jail. If she has any children, they need to be removed from her care by CPS. Second. Her name, address, and phone number, NEED to be made public knowledge. Just like all the cable networks plastered these innocent young men's names and pictures on the front page, for all the world to see...they need to do that to her. Make everyone aware of who this lying woman is, what she looks like, so other people aren't taken in by this lying SoB.

No doubt, if there are lawsuits her name will be made public as she is no longer covered under any victims' protection laws or media rules.

Being a liar (supposedly as maybe these guys did not do it but maybe someone did)  or ruining someone's life (again supposedly as the majority of people will forget this whole thing or at least the names/faces of the individuals involved or accused---I know I have) does not make one a bad mother.  

But if she was on drugs or otherwise neglectful or unfit, yes.  If she is found guilty of something and goes to jail...well, they won't be with her anyway.

I'm just upset that her actions make women look bad and may lead to doubts in the future about some other woman who is telling the whole truth.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Apr 11 2007, 10:14 AM, said:

If she has any children, they need to be removed from her care by CPS. Second. Her name, address, and phone number, NEED to be made public knowledge. Just like all the cable networks plastered these innocent young men's names and pictures on the front page, for all the world to see...they need to do that to her. Make everyone aware of who this lying woman is, what she looks like, so other people aren't taken in by this lying SoB.

No-no-no...the children need to be sued for the clothes on their backs, plus all their lunch money, field trip money, college tuition, future earnings at ANY job they get (it doesn't matter if it's working for a big firm or Mc Donalds)X-Boxes, Harry Pothead books...infants need to be sued out of their diapers, have their cribs taken away, plastic nipples, Formulac™, Playskool™ toys, Mr. Rogers Action Figures™...

You're becoming a softie in your old age. Whatever happened to that hard edge???

:p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

Heh

While I wouldn't go quite that far myself, I do think some sort of punishment is order. False rape accusations will likely haunt these boys for the rest of their working lives, and that isn't right.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

View Postoffworlder, on Apr 11 2007, 10:18 AM, said:

Blackmailed them for X-Box money-otherwise the little buggers were gonna blog about their tight-wad dads on MySpace. :p Don't be fooled by those doe eyes. :p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#8 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

I hate to say it, but I thought these guys were guilty at first, too.  As a mostly white liberal, the case played into my prejudices to automatically assume that frat boy a**h*** lacrosse players would rape a black stripper, and that in the wake of the OJ and Kobe Bryant cases, a D.A. wouldn't bring charges in a high profile case like this unless his evidence was very, very strong.  Now, it appears from the evidence that the lacrosse players were sexist jerks.  But being a sexist jerk doesn't make you a rapist, and the players are definitely owed apologies and more for having their lives turned upside down by the actions of a reckless prosecutor and a deeply troubled young woman.

And it taught me a lesson.  In the future, I'm going to be a lot more careful about passing judgment on cases before all the evidence is in, especially if the case has a narrative that plays to my own political outlook and prejudices.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

The thing is - how do you ever NOT take a rape charge seriously?  Honestly - NOT believing the worst in this case is the wrong way to go.  I think women who are proven to have falsely accused a man of rape ought to face the very worst punishment - because I think rape is sufficiently serious, and hard to prove, that unless you err on the side of women, you risk not being able to honestly deal with the crime.

Yes - that's a double standard.  But there you go.  MORE punishment for women who lie (and are proven to have done so) in exchange for more willingness to take a woman seriously when she says she was raped.

(Note: LYING is different from feeling raped, but having a court judge that the actions don't actually constitute rape. Just want to make that clear.)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have to confess, I'm with Zack on this one (except instead of an outright liberal, I'm something of a libertarian liberal with conservative sympathies... or something).  It sure *sounded* bad, and it's still hard for me to fathom why the victim made the charges (or, in the alternative, was so off-her-rocker that she thought she was telling the truth).

If we were still living in a pre-DNA world, we might never have realized that these men are probably innocent and are certainly not guilty. Food for thought.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

No wants needs to be hammered into the heads of the media here (via settlements well into the hundreds of millions of dollars) is that until they have a verdict they should stop pandering to the national enquirier hunger of some people.

I said I wanted to hear the evidence. Not because I think College sports players are above the law. But that we had noreason to pronunce judgement on anyone till the jury makes it's verdicts.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Attorney general declares them innocent! Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18046103/

This goes above and beyond just a simple: "we're dropping the charges due to lack of evidence."

But what shocks me most is the fact that they are NOT, I repeat, NOT pressing charges against this lying b*tch! And in the press conference the AG had the balls to say: "It's in the interest of justice that we aren't pursuing charges against her."

What a crock of sh*t!

Oh hell NO! FTS!

If I was one of these innocent men accused and the AG had the nerve to not file charges against her...He would be right next to NiFong on the civil lawsuit...Probably wouldn't get anything from him, but he would be there just because of his not filing charges against her. Yes, it's revengeful, spiteful...but at this point these innocent men have the right to be revengeful.

#13 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

Unless she was under oath, I don't think that the AG could start a case against her.

The families of the thankfully free defendants, however, should and probably will, along with Nifong and Durham.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#14 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

View PostChipper, on Apr 11 2007, 02:45 PM, said:

Unless she was under oath, I don't think that the AG could start a case against her.

The families of the thankfully free defendants, however, should and probably will, along with Nifong and Durham.

Filing a false police report is a crime (although maybe just a misdemeanor--I don't know).  They should be able to get her on that at a minimum.

Edited by Mel, 11 April 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#15 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

per LotS link clarifying what the AG said about bringing charges against the accuser--

Cooper offered no explanation for why the stripper told such a story and would not discuss her mental health. However, he said no charges will be brought against her, saying she “may actually believe” the many different stories she told.

“We believe it is in the best interest of justice not to bring charges,” he said

I'm wondering if they believe that something at some point did happen to her....but that it was not done by the Duke lacrosse players.

Maybe it happened months before and she had a PTS flashback or something.  But it sort of sounds like she had a bad trip, be it drug induced or some kind of mental issue.

I'm not sure if that is why they are not filing charges against her but to me that sounds like the most logical theory.

and as far as what that second dancer has said...I don't believe her because that story changes depending on what show she is talking to.  And shows like Inside Edition pay for interviews...and they do not pay for interviews that are not sensational.  

(example being that nanny in the Anna Nicole case who said that Anna had her underfeed the baby to make her look 'sexy'...now she admits that it was a lie to get paid for her story)

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

And it taught me a lesson. In the future, I'm going to be a lot more careful about passing judgment on cases before all the evidence is in, especially if the case has a narrative that plays to my own political outlook and prejudices.

Me too MuseZack, I thought they did it too and now I will take a more wait and see attitude. These guys were apparently the victims of a Prosecuting attorney in the middle of a tough reelection run that figured going after these guys would pull in votes for him. According the US prosecuter, there was never even credible evidence to charge them in the first place. As to the woman in question, maybe they know something we don't about her state of mental health but yeah, I was amazed that she turned the lives of these guys and their families upside down, their coach was fired (I beleive) and she's not even getting charged for filing a false police report?????
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:22 PM

Maybe I am adding two and two and getting five but....

There have been many cases where a man was convicted of rape only to find out years later.....thru the DNA evidence either coming into existence or being retested...that he was not the one who did it.

The woman is never charged with filing a false police report or anything similar in those cases.  It is just dismissed as a misidentification.

Usually there is more proof to say that a rape did occur in those cases...or as was mentioned in the original thread on this case, sometimes very little physical evidence may be present.

Which leads me to believe that the AG and his investigators  either think that a rape might have actually occured, (just not the Duke players as the attackers) or that she does believe that something did happen to her, maybe just not at the time she says or by who she says.  

They can not prove that she was not raped, absolutely for sure...only that the Duke players accused were not the attackers and that no rape occurred at that party.

This is not the first time that many lives have been turned upside down by one person.  And i am very sure from the careful way the AG worded his statement that there is a whole lot of info that has not been made public.

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:06 AM

View PostChipper, on Apr 11 2007, 03:45 PM, said:

He most certainly could. It's called filing a false police report.

#19 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:43 AM

I have to admit I feel more than a little angry at the prosecutnig attorney, since at the time that this happened it sounded like he had good, solid evidence against the Duke players when it turned out he did not.  He also lied - and is now looking at possibly losing his job over this whole fiasco.  At the time I felt that they were guilty, partly because I know how hard it can be to prove rape sometimes, and there is some pretty good evidence that many of these guys were jerks.  I'm also really angry with her for making the false claim.

However,
I'm still going to be inclinded towards believing the victim in charges of rape, and I fully well admit that it's in part because the thought of ever getting raped terrifies me.  I also know it's often very hard for victims to come forward, and I want to make it as easy as possible, since it is a heinous crime that needs to be punished.  I have an extreemely low view of any woman who cries rape falsely.  It is far too serious a thing for that sort of BS.

On this case in particular - I heard today that she didn't claim to be raped until after she was found passed out drunk in a cab - which was a violation of her parole.  Apparently she's a convicted felon.  There was semen of multiple men inside of her, and she has a history of prostitution.  I did a quick look for sources, and found this but I don't really have time to go around looking up all the things I heard.

By the way, her name has now been released to the public.  Some places have put her picture up as well.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#20 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

I'm inclined to believe that something happened; to me she didn't just up and decide 'I'll stick it to these boys just coz'

I wonder if she was in some way groped or assaulted, and felt denigraded and insulted and teased and offended and maybe even manhandled; and then felt she had to, for her own emotion and sanity, complain on it, then felt she had to 'Up' her complaint or no one would listen to her. Well, whatever it was, it looks like it was not rape. And there is no evidence or witness to whatever they really did do to her, or made her feel.

In many cases you can Up some complaint and get away with it; she didn't get a way with it. And the actions of this Nifong guy, well I didn't get all into that so I really can't comment, but maybe the guy, perhaps he wanted to score some political points for himself? but then if so, then didn't he use her too?

I do hope that, whatever it was those three men did to her, which we'll never know, they learned a lesson in all this, and will threat women better and less objectifying or rudely or aggressively (so often college age men do treat women badly because they're just immature about people and women) I also think she was monumentally stupid for continuing the gig once she got there and saw how outnumbered and vulnerable she truly was there; so hopefully she learned a lesson too, and won't go to something like that without a large friend for a bodyguard, or just take a different stripper gig. ;)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Duke University, Lacrosse team, 2007, Rape Charges Dropped

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users