21 replies to this topic

#21 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Apr 11 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

The thing is - how do you ever NOT take a rape charge seriously?  Honestly - NOT believing the worst in this case is the wrong way to go.  I think women who are proven to have falsely accused a man of rape ought to face the very worst punishment - because I think rape is sufficiently serious, and hard to prove, that unless you err on the side of women, you risk not being able to honestly deal with the crime.

There is a difference between taking a charge seriously and going on a witch hunt that the evidence doesn't support.  Our system presumes that you are innocent until proven guilty. That puts the burden of proof on the accuser and on the prosecutor.  Rape is a crime that chills my blood especially with how prevalent it is but also presuming that someone is guilty before it is proven scares the daylights out of me.  This was a classic case of jumping to conclusions before the evidence was even in.  These guys are always going to have this false accusation of rape hanging around their necks and they'll probably live with it for their entire lives.  I'm no fan of spoiled rich frat boys but I think they should get at least a fair shake in the legal system.  The DA should have reviewed the evidence before announcing names and pressing forward with charges.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#22 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Apr 13 2007, 05:38 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on Apr 11 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

The thing is - how do you ever NOT take a rape charge seriously?  Honestly - NOT believing the worst in this case is the wrong way to go.  I think women who are proven to have falsely accused a man of rape ought to face the very worst punishment - because I think rape is sufficiently serious, and hard to prove, that unless you err on the side of women, you risk not being able to honestly deal with the crime.

There is a difference between taking a charge seriously and going on a witch hunt that the evidence doesn't support.  Our system presumes that you are innocent until proven guilty. That puts the burden of proof on the accuser and on the prosecutor.  Rape is a crime that chills my blood especially with how prevalent it is but also presuming that someone is guilty before it is proven scares the daylights out of me.  This was a classic case of jumping to conclusions before the evidence was even in.  These guys are always going to have this false accusation of rape hanging around their necks and they'll probably live with it for their entire lives.  I'm no fan of spoiled rich frat boys but I think they should get at least a fair shake in the legal system.  The DA should have reviewed the evidence before announcing names and pressing forward with charges.

No argument.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Duke University, Lacrosse team, 2007, Rape Charges Dropped

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users