• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

I keep thinking of Carlos Mancia talking about his father teaching about seatbelt . Be bounced Carlos around like a pinball in the car and told to wear his seatbelt if he did not want that to happen yet again.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#42 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:02 AM

I got hit by a drunk driver on the Golden Gate Bridge on St. Paddy's day 1974. The seatbelt saved my life - it kept me from vaulting right into the windshield.  :blink:

I have never gotten into a car since that I have not worn my seat belt. And if anybody wants to ride with me, they'd better be prepared to buckle up as well.

When I was in nursing school, working the ER, I saw too many horrific injuries that would never have happened if a seat belt had been worn - including one decapitation.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#43 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:51 AM

View PostNorville, on Apr 15 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

Digital Man said:

And am I the only one who wonders why there aren't seatbelts on transit buses??

I take buses every day, and always wonder that. It's not just humans that have trouble with that on buses -- I've seen a guide dog slowly sliding across the floor and trying to brace itself.
Maybe it's because buses are so big that an average accident with a car at city speeds won't do much damage? I remember seeing a picture of a bus that got hit by a speeding car a couple of years ago: the car had ripped in half and was completely compacted (I think the occupants of the car were all badly injured or died), and the bus had a broken window and dent in the side (iirc, no one in the bus was even seriously hurt).

I guess they just figure it's not worth installing seat belts on the off chance that the bus gets hit by another bus or a semitrailer. :unsure:

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#44 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

View PostRaina, on Apr 16 2007, 04:51 AM, said:

I guess they just figure it's not worth installing seat belts on the off chance that the bus gets hit by another bus or a semitrailer. :unsure:

Sorry-I simply can't agree with that. We have seat belts on our big school buses-and we didn't before. So-why not transit buses? :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#45 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

NY Times

Running late from a speech in Atlantic City, Mr. Corzine was in a state police vehicle, emergency lights flashing, that swerved to avoid another car and slammed into a guardrail. He had been heading to Drumthwacket, the governor’s mansion in Princeton, for a meeting with the Rutgers women’s basketball team and Don Imus, the fired talk show host.

The state trooper who was driving and an assistant who was talking on a cellphone in the back seat apparently were wearing seat belts, as is required by law in New Jersey, and suffered minor injuries.

Richard J. Codey, the State Senate president, is serving as acting governor until Mr. Corzine recovers, and on Sunday afternoon he deferred most questions about the crash until the completion of the state police investigation. He added at a news conference that he did not expect the inquiry to take “an extremely long period of time.”

When asked under what circumstances Mr. Corzine’s driver would have activated the car’s emergency lights and whether it might have been related to the speed of the car, Mr. Codey said, “There is no set protocol on that at all.”

He added that he had heard rumors that the two-car caravan might have been speeding, perhaps up to 90 miles per hour, but he added: “I was never in one that went 90. Nor would I want to be.”
Okay, so red pickup saw emergency lights and pulled over, but swerved.  White pickup, what?  And if the motorcade was gaining on red pickup, and red pickup wasn't going slower than speed limit, tends to suggest high rate of speed for motorcade.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#46 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

View PostNonny, on Apr 16 2007, 11:26 AM, said:

Okay, so red pickup saw emergency lights and pulled over, but swerved.  White pickup, what?  And if the motorcade was gaining on red pickup, and red pickup wasn't going slower than speed limit, tends to suggest high rate of speed for motorcade.

My understanding-the red pick-up tried to go off road, but driver swerved back onto road to avoid hitting a pole/tree, thus causing the chain reaction that critically injured Corzine. Just look at the animation again.

No wonder I didn't hear anything about the other two occupants. They were smart. They had their belts on.

:sarcasm:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#47 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

View PostRhea, on Apr 16 2007, 03:02 AM, said:

I got hit by a drunk driver on the Golden Gate Bridge on St. Paddy's day 1974. The seatbelt saved my life - it kept me from vaulting right into the windshield.  :blink:

I have never gotten into a car since that I have not worn my seat belt. And if anybody wants to ride with me, they'd better be prepared to buckle up as well.

When I was in nursing school, working the ER, I saw too many horrific injuries that would never have happened if a seat belt had been worn - including one decapitation.

When I got hit by the drunk driver that got me in the early 90's. I was wearing my belt. But I still have issues as to the law. I think that if people are stupid enough to not wear belts they might well deserve the injury. I know that is not correct to think it but you can only tell people so often to do something because it is the smart thing to do.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#48 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 16 2007, 08:37 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Apr 16 2007, 11:26 AM, said:

My understanding-the red pick-up tried to go off road, but driver swerved back onto road to avoid hitting a pole/tree, thus causing the chain reaction that critically injured Corzine. Just look at the animation again.
I'm still unclear on what the white pickup was doing.  Someone swerves in front of him, he is distracted by flashing lights in his rearview?  What?  What has he said about it?  

If it seems that I am obsessed by this, yeah, I guess I am.  I'm running it over and over in my head side by side with the loop from my own near miss when I spun out in front of a big rig last December.  On my way to a stress test, no less, but hey.  We were all slowing down for the first collision up ahead when we slowed down sharply for the second, and I was beyond lucky that I didn't cause the third when I pulled toward the center divider to avoid the car ahead of me but hit gravel beyond the scored pavement.  What worked in my favor was that everybody was already slowing, and cleared the path for me to keep spinning back and forth through three lanes and two onamp lanes till I came to a stop facing the right way next to the fence where the outer onramp lane merged into the inner. Way beyond lucky.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#49 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

View PostG1223, on Apr 16 2007, 08:38 AM, said:

View PostRhea, on Apr 16 2007, 03:02 AM, said:

When I got hit by the drunk driver that got me in the early 90's. I was wearing my belt. But I still have issues as to the law. I think that if people are stupid enough to not wear belts they might well deserve the injury. I know that is not correct to think it but you can only tell people so often to do something because it is the smart thing to do.

That would make sense - except that the more serious injuries caused by non-wearing of seat belts end up costing us all, in raised medical and insurance rates, and in the resources it takes to rehab people with more severe injuries - preventable ones. I don't much care if they want to kill themselves, I care if their stupidity costs the rest of us in money and resources.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#50 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

Well then where is the savings from these Insurance Companies? Since we are suppose to be wearing belts. No where. The rates remain the same while the state gets to act as protector (And write tickets for violatoirs). Fair is fair this was a way for those companies to get a reduction in risk and still not have to reduce their rates.

Edited by G1223, 16 April 2007 - 12:54 PM.

TANSTAAFL

#51 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

View PostG1223, on Apr 16 2007, 11:38 AM, said:

I think that if people are stupid enough to not wear belts they might well deserve the injury. I know that is not correct to think it but you can only tell people so often to do something because it is the smart thing to do.

You know, G and I may not agree on much, but here-I ABSOLUTELY agree. The problem, in this instance, is that this fool is running our state, and has a family. So, for those reasons-I do hope he recovers.

But my sympathy rests solely with Corzine's family. Corzine tempted the devil one too many times. And the devil came to bite him in the ass. :sarcasm:
Posted Image

#52 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

Oh I do not wish death on anyone I simply feel that you can tell people so often before the problem should be allowed if it is going to bite them on the butt.

TANSTAAFL

#53 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

91 mph.  Geez.  

NY Times link

They better never make a scapegoat out of that red pickup driver.   :angry:

Nonny
Posted Image

#54 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

View PostNonny, on Apr 18 2007, 09:37 AM, said:

91 mph.  Geez.  

NY Times link

They better never make a scapegoat out of that red pickup driver.   :angry:

Nonny

Yeah, I heard that about the trooper driver. :glare: What the hell was the hurry?! A bathroom stop?!

:sarcasm:
Posted Image

#55 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

View PostG1223, on Apr 16 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

Oh I do not wish death on anyone I simply feel that you can tell people so often before the problem should be allowed if it is going to bite them on the butt.

Death is an unfortunate result of things like this, but frankly-you stick your hands in fire, you're gonna get burned. If that results in death-too bad, so sad. Sounds cruel? Probably, but people need to take personal responsibility in situations like this.
Posted Image

#56 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 18 2007, 11:36 AM, said:

View PostG1223, on Apr 16 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

Death is an unfortunate result of things like this, but frankly-you stick your hands in fire, you're gonna get burned. If that results in death-too bad, so sad. Sounds cruel? Probably, but people need to take personal responsibility in situations like this.

Sadly we live in a world where we cannot be allowed to do that. We need lawyers running around with bits of paper in their hands going about saying who is a fault.

Add in a media that cannot help but try to find each and every butt in the story and stick their camera as deep as possible to get the latest news and you can see how folks are starting to drop out they do not care because the next disaster is waiting down the street and the theme music is being spun up for it as we speak.

TANSTAAFL

#57 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

a media that cannot help but try to find each and every butt in the story and stick their camera as deep as possible to get the

Breaking News
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Jersey, Gov. John Corzine, 2007, Accident

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users