95 replies to this topic

#81 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

View PostHibblette, on Apr 17 2007, 05:27 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on Apr 17 2007, 03:48 PM, said:

According to one of his English teachers on NPR, she not only referred him to counseling services but notified the police that he could be dangerous.

A student interviewed said that campus police initially thought the female student and the RA were a lover's quarrel murder-suicide, which was why they didn't put out an alert about a gunman on the loose.  The fact that no gun was found by the bodies should have clued them into the fact that their theory had some holes in it.

Cardie

To me it's disturbing that they would think that a lovers quarrel would not be of some concern to the safety of the rest of the campus.  Were I work we have to take training that covers these sort of things in regards to security and this was a scenario we had.  Domestic disturbance outside of the job can effect everyone.

The campus should have been "locked down" immediately and I guess a dragnet performed.  Isn't that why dragnets are performed.  It's not just to get the perpetrator who needs to be punished but for the safety of the rest of society.  

I really do think that the security and the people in charge should be investigated on this.

I have to agree -  I find it very disturbing that they would shut the school down in August because they thought an escaped murder might even be near the campus, and yet they didn't close it down after the first shooting.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#82 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

View PostChipper, on Apr 16 2007, 06:24 PM, said:

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Apr 16 2007, 09:21 PM, said:

Reports are indicating that the gunman was armed with a 9 mm pistol and .22 caliber handgun.  

View PostCardie, on Apr 16 2007, 09:16 PM, said:

I've worked in college administration.  They wasnt to play down violent incidents for the sake of recruiting and keeping parents pacified.  Here they made a good faith conclusion that the danger was passed and didn't want to close down campus and blow it out of proportion since it was  assumed to be only an unfortunate domestic violence case.  But if they had "over-reacted" lives might have been saved.
I gotta agree with Cardie here.  Their actions were more focused on PR and the image of the campus as a safe spot and down playing the incident rather than in the safety of the students.

What?  They cared about their PR at the time rather than the students?  I think you're making valid points overall but this is kind of ridiculous.  Sorry.

I actually agree with cj.  It seems inexcusable to me to know about a shooting incident for as long as they did and take NO steps to safeguard the student body until it was too late.  I don't care if they think they were trying to avoid a panic.  I think it at a minimum was an exercise in very very poor judgment.

Lil
Posted Image

#83 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

OK Having a House Moment.

Are you folks done? It is  a sad thing these people died. But other people died today. Others took their first gasps of air. A man dropped dead in a parking lot and a mother of five was killed crossing a road.

This is life and it is sad and it will never be clear cut what happened to set the guy off.

What we need to do is stop panicing over this. We need make the media drop this crap of shovel feeding up these stories. Yes people in the area needed more up to date info they were in danger. But I sure didn't need this. I really do not care what happened. But seeing how folks are wanting to work themselves up about this. Get real and focus on the stuff happening in front of you. It is important to you if nothing else.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#84 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

You don't have to read the thread.

Get real and focus on the stuff happening in front of you. It is important to you if nothing else.

To me this really does say something about our society today.  This is in front of all of us.  I may not live near VTU...but it is about fellow human beings who do live near there and those that were involved.

You do realize House is really not a good role model.  That's the unreal.  It's a fictional character.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#85 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:46 PM

No I know he is not real. But the fact we have people who want to wrap themselves up into this mess is not a healthy thing. If it happened to friends or their families or to somone at least known that is one thing. But what grief is being felt by somone who lost nothing and never will from this event.

It is histroy and that is about all. The guy gunned down in a parking lot  at the grocery where he worked here in Indy is at least closer to home. The old lady across the round who has lived in her house for 45 years and has taken a turn for the worse is still closer. I will miss her waving as I walk by but life moves on and the next disaster awaits.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#86 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

View PostRhea, on Apr 17 2007, 07:12 PM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Apr 17 2007, 05:27 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on Apr 17 2007, 03:48 PM, said:

According to one of his English teachers on NPR, she not only referred him to counseling services but notified the police that he could be dangerous.

A student interviewed said that campus police initially thought the female student and the RA were a lover's quarrel murder-suicide, which was why they didn't put out an alert about a gunman on the loose.  The fact that no gun was found by the bodies should have clued them into the fact that their theory had some holes in it.

Cardie

To me it's disturbing that they would think that a lovers quarrel would not be of some concern to the safety of the rest of the campus.  Were I work we have to take training that covers these sort of things in regards to security and this was a scenario we had.  Domestic disturbance outside of the job can effect everyone.

The campus should have been "locked down" immediately and I guess a dragnet performed.  Isn't that why dragnets are performed.  It's not just to get the perpetrator who needs to be punished but for the safety of the rest of society.  

I really do think that the security and the people in charge should be investigated on this.

I have to agree -  I find it very disturbing that they would shut the school down in August because they thought an escaped murder might even be near the campus, and yet they didn't close it down after the first shooting.

But in the situation in August, the escaped murderer fled to the area of the college.

Logic would make it likely that someone who committed a murder there would flee from the area

And if they were focusing on a murder/suicide or they picked up for questioning the guy who dropped the girl off that morning at the dorm, then  either you're not looking for a suspect or you have a potential suspect...er 'person of interest'...in custody or that you are specifically looking for....off campus.

There does need to be a better system in place for protecting the students better...and likely will be in the future.

It is a sad fact that usually a problem does not get fixed without someone or many someones dying first.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#87 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

View PostG1223, on Apr 17 2007, 09:46 PM, said:

No I know he is not real. But the fact we have people who want to wrap themselves up into this mess is not a healthy thing. If it happened to friends or their families or to somone at least known that is one thing. But what grief is being felt by somone who lost nothing and never will from this event.

It is histroy and that is about all. The guy gunned down in a parking lot  at the grocery where he worked here in Indy is at least closer to home. The old lady across the round who has lived in her house for 45 years and has taken a turn for the worse is still closer. I will miss her waving as I walk by but life moves on and the next disaster awaits.

To me it is healthy that we are trying to discuss and get our feelings out and sort out what happened.  It is a mystery in our human consciousness that someone would do this.  

Of course your opinion is different-that's cool.  So...again why even make comments about how we are not exactly responding to this the way you think we should.

And Trikay any violence of any sort should be investigated with the intent that it is not over yet.  To just have the one suspect and not be searching for others is obviously not the way to do this.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#88 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

View PostHibblette, on Apr 17 2007, 09:06 PM, said:

And Trikay any violence of any sort should be investigated with the intent that it is not over yet.  To just have the one suspect and not be searching for others is obviously not the way to do this.

Didn't say it was the way to do it but I can see where this situation was perhaps beyond their experience.

But my theory is that this shooter would have just hunkered down during any lockdown and then gone ahead and done it.  If they are searching for a murderer on campus are they going to toss the kids rooms looking for evidence or weapons?  Somehow I doubt it as making sure everyone was safe would be the priority.

The only description that I heard from this was from the  Norris Hall shootings.  No word on whether they had any kind of description from the dorm shootings.  

As I said usually it takes a tragedy to fix problems or to point out problems.  Otherwise no one seems to care enough to think ahead enough to avoid problems.

This is not a problem that is only at Virginia Tech. (will go find the link to a report that was on tonight's news about this)

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#89 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

I think it is natural to let something like this get to us, but I have to say that as I was becoming unhealthily obsessed with watching coverage of the shootings, I thought, "In Baghdad, Darfur, innumerable places, this happens every day."

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#90 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

View PostCardie, on Apr 17 2007, 11:31 PM, said:

I think it is natural to let something like this get to us, but I have to say that as I was becoming unhealthily obsessed with watching coverage of the shootings, I thought, "In Baghdad, Darfur, innumerable places, this happens every day."

Cardie

DING

Edited by G1223, 17 April 2007 - 10:52 PM.

TANSTAAFL

#91 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

...the teacher, Christopher James Bishop, who wore his hair long, rode his bike to campus and worked with his wife in the foreign languages department at Virginia Tech.

This info was flying around some writer/fannish circles yesterday, because Jamie Bishop was the son of the science fiction writer/editor Michael Bishop. That doesn't make his death more important than anyone else's, but it hit me a little harder.

G1223 said:

Get real and focus on the stuff happening in front of you. It is important to you if nothing else.

G, the day I ever want advice from you, I'll let you know. 'kthx bye. ("Okay, thanks, bye," to translate that.)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#92 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

You know, I have to be brutally honest-

I don't know why this piece of sh!t did what he did, and I don't f***ing CARE. I don't know and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW. There is NO EXCUSE IMAGINABLE for this. People can speculate as much as they want about the reasons behind this deranged person's actions-but I'm closing my mind to ANY AND ALL explanations. They will be nothing more than sorry-ass excuses to me.

All I care about is that nearly 3 dozen people are gone forever. The gunman going to hell for this? Sorry-but as far as I'm concerned, there's no hell and no God, either. Hell happens right here on this earth.

Feel free to agree or disagree-but my opinions stand, regardless.

:angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#93 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:29 AM

View PostCardie, on Apr 17 2007, 08:31 PM, said:

Yeah that really puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#94 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:49 AM

Stopped watching moment by moment. I looked to get fresh data as it was announced but Ikept changing channels once the update was done. I did the same with 9/11 becuase it was not something I could change and simply know that fact and that other things had to be done to get through the next day.

TANSTAAFL

#95 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

Of course I thought of other things...I had to work.  

But just because some of us talk about it doesn't mean that's all we are thinking about.

#96 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

View PostNorville, on Apr 17 2007, 09:10 PM, said:

...the teacher, Christopher James Bishop, who wore his hair long, rode his bike to campus and worked with his wife in the foreign languages department at Virginia Tech.

This info was flying around some writer/fannish circles yesterday, because Jamie Bishop was the son of the science fiction writer/editor Michael Bishop. That doesn't make his death more important than anyone else's, but it hit me a little harder.
The reason it hit me so hard was that he's the guy who would have been my favorite teacher.  That, and the heartbreaking news that his wife, also an instructor in the department, had let someone know he was there teaching, and was waiting for news.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Shooting, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users