#41 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Apr 18 2007, 04:05 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 18 2007, 02:17 PM, said:

My secretary calls me over to her desk one day before our big "Drill Day!" and shows me an orange vest. "I'm supposed to put this on and run to certain classrooms and tell them 'there's an emergency. We need to leave the building." She also had a flashlight and a whistle. All duded up in her "emergency" gear, she looked like a demented crossing guard.

That bright orange safety vest is just a fat target on your back that screams, "Shoot me, please!"  I know what, give that job and the vest and the whistle to the doofus who developed the plan.  Darwin-ise him.

Yep, may as well just paint a bright red bullseye with LED lights around it on you.  Rather than going door to door, there should be a PA system and/or people calling teachers cell phones to inform them of a danger.  Ditch the orange vest.

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 19 2007, 02:48 PM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Apr 18 2007, 02:21 AM, said:

I'm glad he's dead.  Now he has to answer to a higher power.

Too bad that "higher power" didn't intervene BEFORE this happened.

Bitter much?  It doesn't work that way.  

"Higher power," huh? Hmmm. I'd like to have a long talk with this so-called "higher power" about the crap innocent folks have to put with on this rotten excuse of a planet. :angry:

I'm reminded of when I accompanied my mom to church a day after 9/11 (she's a believer, I'm not-but she doesn't need to know that-she wanted to go to church). The priest said, "A lot of you are wondering why God allowed this to happen."

Then he frowned and said, "I don't know."

Part of me wanted to take a hymn book from the seat behind me and bean him on the head with it. :angry:

Well, I am not going to preach religion to you or say how great the Higher Power is as I know it will simply be a waste of my time.  However, to expect a higher power to intervene every single time is rediculous.  People have to learn how to behave.  People have to want to behave and be good to one another.  That is how a person grows, and becomes better.  Even without religion, this is true.  If people are nothing but savages, then they are not worthy as creatures, and will never reach their full potential.  It is up to us to concisouly want to be better and civil.  And it is up to us to not tolerate anything otherwise.  

Don't expect a priest to have all the answers.  IF one does not know sorrow, how can then know joy?  How can one be healthy, without being sick once in a while?  How can one realize how important, fragile, and priceless life is without knowing what death is?

You know, with the kind of career I have, I meet nothing but a$$h*les every single day.  Most of them are liars, and basically just you mean and nasty, greedy person.  Last night I was so angry that two deal fell through simply because they lied to me, and went behind my back.  I really needed those sales, and I was not happy.  But it isn't something that is within my control.  Those people made their choices.

Eh, this brings me to a point I have to make.  People are creatures of free will.  We all think what we want, do what we want, and say what we want.  That is a great ability that demands responsibility.  We have the ability to choose.  We can choose to love one another, or we can kill one another.  Self discipline, compassion, understanding, morals, and other factors determine which we choices we make.  To expect a higher power to be our babysitter goes against this.  We'll never learn.  We may never learn now, at least not as a whole.  But, individually, we can if we so desire.

As I said, I come across so may a-holes, it makes me want to puke.  Even many other people in my profession are a-holes that will do anything for a paycheck, even screw you over.  I choose not to.  They made their choice, I made mine.  They don't care, but I do.  It's what separates us from them.  The good from the bad, in a way.  It seems like the a-holes do a lot better, and maybe they do.  But, what goes around comes around.

That little punk killed 32 innocent people, and did so with inspiration from a Korean movie.  He was a sick individual, and those 32 people did not have to die.  They didn't deserve to die.  When my 11 year old cousin died, I was angry.  She was just a little kid.  I was mad a God.  somewhere along the line, I came to the conclusion that we all die sometime, and that I should hope and pray that she is well taken care of by that higher power.  I like to think they're in a better place.  And I like to think that the jerk who took their lives is rotting away in hell, or better yet, denied any existance whatsoever.  One thing is for sure, he can't kill any more people again.  Good riddance.  I feel the same way with convicted killers.  Why should they spend life in prison?  Their victims are dead, so why should the killers continue to live?  Take them out.  But, I guess, that should be saved for some other time.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#42 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Last post before I leave this thread...

The contents of this thread are another reason for the attitude I displayed in my previous post.

I also find it interesting that the Virginia Tech massacare has resulted in so many responses, and this thread-which I also started, only one.

Hm.

And now, I'll bow out of this thread.

Edited by Digital Man, 19 April 2007 - 05:30 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#43 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

I'm back only with this quick response to Spidey-

Bitter? Damn right I am. About LOTS of things.

And since you and I are never going to see eye-to-eye on this, let's agree to disagree, and leave it at that.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#44 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

View PostDigital Man, on Apr 19 2007, 03:28 PM, said:

I'm back only with this quick response to Spidey-

Bitter? Damn right I am. About LOTS of things.

And since you and I are never going to see eye-to-eye on this, let's agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Fine by me.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#45 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on Apr 19 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

Well, it MIGHT get others to try:

Authorities put all 36 schools in 12 Northern California school districts under lockdown Thursday as police searched for a man who claimed he was planning an armed attack that would “make Virginia Tech look mild.”

The entire article is here: Copy cats or doing one upmanship?

Also, read farther down and it talks about how the schools all over are getting threats!

Yep. And a community college in Michigan has been shut down until Monday due to "a very specific threat."

Universities and public schools in at least five other states also received threats Wednesday, and many of those ordered temporary lockdowns or evacuations.
The copycats are crawling out of the woodwork....

http://blog.mlive.co...lamazoo_va.html

Edited by Spectacles, 19 April 2007 - 06:21 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#46 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

"As soon as he started reading, the whole class started laughing and pointing and saying, `Go back to China,'" Davids said.
That sounds like what my elementary school classmates did to me. The entire class of racist a**holes would often laugh at me while my teacher just sat there and listened. As a result of this, I've had several episodes of severe depression and nearly killed myself. Granted, you could argue that the depression was already there and it's all my fault rather than the fault of the people who made my life a living hell, but I'm pretty d*mn sure that, if nothing else, they really added fuel to the fire. And you know what? If it weren't for the fact that my depression tends to make me too lazy to do anything or makes me take things out on myself, I could see myself snapping and killing the lot of them. I am incredibly bitter about it (10 years later) and I often wish that they'd burn in h*ll for the emotional scars that they inflicted on me; but luckily for them, the focus of my hatred is towards myself as well as towards them. Bullying can either make a person develop emotional problems, magnify existing problems, or push someone right over the edge.

View PostZwolf, on Apr 19 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

You don't have to be Freud to see that there's no wonder the guy wouldn't talk to anybody.  Even the kids in college who wanted to be nice to him didn't have a chance, because a bunch of scumbags had already trained him to be afraid of trying to talk to anybody, lest he get mocked and laughed at.  The nice kids and the counsellors didn't have a hope in hell of getting through his shell, because of the junk the high school kids - and probably teachers, too, since these things happened in class and it doesn't sound like they did much to stop it - had already done to him.  The guy was already deranged from it and wasn't going to take another chance of getting set up for being the butt of another joke.
I think that the only thing that really kept me from being as psychotic is that, while I was teased horribly by the kids in my grade, I did have friends in other grades. Plus when I went to highschool, there were so many other Asian kids there that the racists stopped specifically targeting me.

He's totally the only one responsible for this rampage, but he's not the only one guilty for it.  I know they're going to be talking gun-control around this thing in the coming months, but something else they need to be discussing is a-hole-control.  You get what you plant.
I wonder how many more people have to die (either by murder, suicide, or a combination of the two) before people will realize that the emotional scars inflicted upon children can haunt them for life.

View PostG1223, on Apr 19 2007, 12:44 PM, said:

Except that other people have been teased and do not take a gun into the halls looking for payback.
Yeah, some of us just take our issues out on ourselves or on other people emotionally. The only big difference in this case, imho, is that he decided to take it out on other people physically.

The killer allowed himself to be programmed. He allowed others to push him.
So what are you supposed to do when people tease you just for being you? You can't go to the teachers because they don't give a crap, you can't go to your parents because there's nothing they can really do about it, you can't go to the authorities because it's not a crime. Standing up for yourself only makes them laugh at the fact that they provoked a reaction, so they'll intensify the effort next time. Ignoring them only makes them try harder to get a reaction. So exactly how does one "allow" others to push them?

I'm not in any way saying that the killings aren't tragic and that his victims aren't innocent: chances are, most of them probably aren't the people who tormented him in highschool. What I am saying is that rather than having gun control laws, extra security, etc., they should deal with the root of the problem. Bullying in school should be punished, and school administrators should get the idea across that bullying is unacceptable behavior and is a hate crime.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#47 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

Raina, I'm sorry you we treated so lousy in school :(  It sucks and what sucks most of all, it happens all the time. I got in more than one fist fight in Jr. High and high school on someone elses behalf. I hate bullies, did then and still do. Sad to think that 50 decent, caring people can't touch the wall put up because of a handful of creeps. I can't even hate the kid that killed all those other students because in seeing and hearing him, I could only feel pity for what a misery his life must have been and sadness for all those kids whose lives were cut so short because of it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

Who wasn't treated poorly in school? I have my scars and yes they left me as as teen considering suicide but I finally accepted that school was simply work and my friends were people I met on the weekends when I went out to play RPG at a club. I have those friends decades later. While the people from High school are a distant memory if even that.

I am a social retard and a geek and I do not care. I am happy where I am. This killer was someone who might have been set off by the social pressure or might simply have been set off by the popeye ringtone from someone cellphone.

We are trying to find some reason for his action and with a madman it is a painful and pointless thing. And we are trying to say we need to end social abuse by children on children. That has been with us for so long that trying to end it is like ending racism. Which is older than man has worked metals.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#49 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

Bullying? Been there, done that. In fact, not only was I bullied by other kids when I was young, I was also physically abused by teachers.

I had VERY few friends when I was young.

I was called all sorts of names-taunts about my physical appearance, racist taunts about being Hispanic...in fact, I don't know what I WASN'T teased about. I had my ass kicked every which way, including Sunday.

But as FUBAR as my childhood was, I didn't take out my frustrations on others.
Posted Image

#50 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:01 AM

"As soon as he started reading, the whole class started laughing and pointing and saying, `Go back to China,'" Davids said.

Raina: That sounds like what my elementary school classmates did to me. The entire class of racist a**holes would often laugh at me while my teacher just sat there and listened. As a result of this, I've had several episodes of severe depression and nearly killed myself. Granted, you could argue that the depression was already there and it's all my fault rather than the fault of the people who made my life a living hell, but I'm pretty d*mn sure that, if nothing else, they really added fuel to the fire. And you know what? If it weren't for the fact that my depression tends to make me too lazy to do anything or makes me take things out on myself, I could see myself snapping and killing the lot of them. I am incredibly bitter about it (10 years later) and I often wish that they'd burn in h*ll for the emotional scars that they inflicted on me; but luckily for them, the focus of my hatred is towards myself as well as towards them. Bullying can either make a person develop emotional problems, magnify existing problems, or push someone right over the edge.

It takes a while, Raina, but it will hurt less as time goes on. One day, you'll be working with people who respect you and you'll look back on those little sh*ts and the stupid teacher and you'll wish they could see you now. :)  

And I agree with you 100 per cent: bullying in school is something that teachers and administrators should have zero tolerance for. There is always damage, even if someone isn't predisposed to psychosis like Cho was.

In his case, it sounds like Cho was already a damaged kid. His great-aunt from South Korea said he didn't seem to have bonded with his own family when he was a small child and that he had been diagnosed as autistic. He was possibly MISdiagnosed as autistic when in fact he was schizophrenic. So it sounds like Cho was on a bad trip from day one. Of course, the bullying couldn't have helped matters. He may have snapped one day even if people had treated him like a prince. But that doesn't change the fact that bullying does push some kids over the edge.

Nor does anything change the fact that bullying itself is bad behavior, and teachers and parents should consistently discourage it. They sure as hell shouldn't sit silently when it happens or, even worse, join in.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#51 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:35 AM

That sounds like what my elementary school classmates did to me. The entire class of racist a**holes would often laugh at me while my teacher just sat there and listened. As a result of this, I've had several episodes of severe depression and nearly killed myself. Granted, you could argue that the depression was already there and it's all my fault rather than the fault of the people who made my life a living hell, but I'm pretty d*mn sure that, if nothing else, they really added fuel to the fire.

I'm positive it did.  We humans are all social animals to some extent, and getting singled out like that can definitely set some patterns.  I got some of that myself, and have a lot of friends who had it done to them, too.  In some ways alienation can be a good thing, because it helps make you an individual, but too much of it can really box a person in.

And you know what? If it weren't for the fact that my depression tends to make me too lazy to do anything or makes me take things out on myself, I could see myself snapping and killing the lot of them.

I think that's normal.  Or at least I hope it is, because I know I spent a few study halls figuring out ways to kill off a lot of my classmates.  I imagine just about every high school kid thinks those thoughts now and then, 'cuz it's a tough situation... your hormones are all out of whack, you're almost an adult but you've got fewer rights than anybody, and you're surrounded by the nastiest batch of people you'll ever meet in your life.  Maturity will take care of a lot of that, but when you're that age, thinking murder is probably a sane reaction to a lot of what goes on.  Luckily, most people are able to stop themselves at just thinking, and not go crazy and act on it.   That's the key.  

And that's one reason why schools ought to pay more attention to cracking down on bullying.  Kids are already ticked off, so why not minimize the amount they're goaded and prodded?  Yep, there are people who are just messed up, like I think Cho was... anything might have set him off, like G says, although I still think being bullied didn't help matters.  So, some of 'em are just crazy, but the Columbine shooters, Klebold and Harris... I'm not so sure.  It was two guys, making a concentrated effort that they built themselves up toward in reaction to things done to them.  The likelihood of them both just being schizo isn't statistically viable.   They're still entirely responsible for what happened, I'm not excusing them in any way, but there are factors that deserve being looked at.

I am incredibly bitter about it (10 years later) and I often wish that they'd burn in h*ll for the emotional scars that they inflicted on me; but luckily for them, the focus of my hatred is towards myself as well as towards them.

Don't take it out on yourself.  It doesn't sound like any of what went on was any of your fault, so don't misplace the anger in that direction.  Just say "to hell with 'em" and drive on, try to focus more on the people who like and appreciate ya. :)

Bullying can either make a person develop emotional problems, magnify existing problems, or push someone right over the edge.

Agreed.

I think that the only thing that really kept me from being as psychotic is that, while I was teased horribly by the kids in my grade, I did have friends in other grades. Plus when I went to highschool, there were so many other Asian kids there that the racists stopped specifically targeting me.

Having some good friends always helps.  Which is part of my point; I don't think any school can fully eradicate bullying.  A lot of kids are jerks, so they're going to do what they do.  But if the kid getting picked on can feel like somebody is on their side - some friends, a teacher or two - it can help out a lot.  One friend of mine in high school was kind of a jerk, but I used my influence on him to kinda leash that.   A couple years before I graduated, my all-white school got a brother and a sister who were from India.  The girl was in my class, and I don't think she had too much trouble, because by then everybody was around 15-16 years old and were learning a little civility.  Her little brother Sandeep was around 8 or 9, though.  One day he walked by and this jerky friend of mine said something obnoxious to him, not overtly racist but making fun of his name or something.  I turned to my friend and told him really loudly to shut up and leave Sandeep alone 'cuz Sandeep was cool.  It embarrassed the hell out of my friend, and Sandeep always waved to me after that, and my friend didn't mess with him anymore.   There were a few more incidents like that with other people, and I tried doing the same thing... usually got good results from it.  Bullies can get shot down without using guns... somebody's just got to step up.  I learned that from Scott in the 6th grade. :)

I wonder how many more people have to die (either by murder, suicide, or a combination of the two) before people will realize that the emotional scars inflicted upon children can haunt them for life.

I don't know.  They've been given enough evidence, but there seems to be a tendency to explain it away. Everybody wants to just hate the bad guy and leave it at that.   And Cho - whatever was done to him, was a bad guy, and I hate him for what he did; when he shot everybody up he lost the right to sympathy.  But I think it's also valuable to try to understand him enough to try to prevent the others that might do the same thing.  

Yeah, some of us just take our issues out on ourselves or on other people emotionally. The only big difference in this case, imho, is that he decided to take it out on other people physically.

You shouldn't take it out on yourself either, though... that doesn't help, and you don't deserve it.  It was an injustice when others picked on you, and it's a further injustice if you pick on yourself. Find a way to get it out that doesn't harm anybody, like painting or writing or sports or something.  It helps.

So what are you supposed to do when people tease you just for being you? You can't go to the teachers because they don't give a crap, you can't go to your parents because there's nothing they can really do about it, you can't go to the authorities because it's not a crime. Standing up for yourself only makes them laugh at the fact that they provoked a reaction, so they'll intensify the effort next time. Ignoring them only makes them try harder to get a reaction. So exactly how does one "allow" others to push them?

I'm not in any way saying that the killings aren't tragic and that his victims aren't innocent: chances are, most of them probably aren't the people who tormented him in highschool. What I am saying is that rather than having gun control laws, extra security, etc., they should deal with the root of the problem. Bullying in school should be punished, and school administrators should get the idea across that bullying is unacceptable behavior and is a hate crime.

Agreed.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#52 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

Raina:  So what are you supposed to do when people tease you just for being you? You can't go to the teachers because they don't give a crap, you can't go to your parents because there's nothing they can really do about it, you can't go to the authorities because it's not a crime. Standing up for yourself only makes them laugh at the fact that they provoked a reaction, so they'll intensify the effort next time. Ignoring them only makes them try harder to get a reaction. So exactly how does one "allow" others to push them?

I've told the board before back during that thread about a California school sending letters to the parents who's kids were going on sky trips a bill in them that I was bullied.  I skipped so much school to avoid it, I got taken to court for truancy.   I was a good kid though and the guy who worked for the school even told the judge that they didn't have any problems with me except getting me to school.  They wanted to blame my mother and probably had some right to do so.  But by law kids have to be in school because getting an education is important but at the same time some teachers, especially if you go to a smaller school system know the parents of some of the more well to do kids so they let them get by with stuff.  So a bullied kid is in a bind, even if you do make plans to take another route to class is available.  And you can't concetrate on your school work because you are praying "dear god, don't let them bother me today" and watching the minutes on the clock.

One of the main bullies in our class I first encountered in a church of all places.  The devil come up out of hell, imo.  A few years after he stopped bullying me, I was sitting by another guy in a class and he(the bully) was saying some horrible things to him.  I came to realize he was an a**hole to everyone and watching him do it to someone else, when I think back on it, I bet he jerked off at the end of the day to a job well done.  If you ever watch the face of a bully you can see ecstacy in their eyes.  

Even though teachers do have tenure, some of the parents can make it hard on teachers if they do take their kid to task over their bullying.   I'm what Seinfeld deemed a "low talker,"  I don't talk very loud and I talk fast so I always get people telling me to repeat myself until they get to know me then they understand everything I say or so they pretend.  I had friends in high school tell me I sounded like the parents on Charlie Brown "whaa whaa whaa" then a few years later some coworkers said the same exact thing so it must be true.  I just laugh about it, but if they really annoy me I enunciate every word like I'm explaining something to a child, so they take the hint.  

And I am a very quite person just by my nature, one girl turned around once in high school and told me "you always have to watch the quiet ones."  That was the first time I ever heard that saying.  Then a black coworker once made a joke about me being a serial killer b/c of me fitting the profile, but since we were friends he could get away with that.  I wish they'd stop trying to lump people into groups like that though.  I do talk to people that I like, quite a bit, but when people I don't like come around I tend to clam up, I think it has something to do with the bullying.  

Even if the bullies are picking on someone, how can you say that murder is an equivalent response to being teased.  If a kid feels they have no options to deal with it, I'd still say there is something more wrong with the person if murder is their best solution to the problem.  Unless it was a crime of passion that happened in the moment.  And this guy was in college, by choice, if he didn't go to the people in charge or try other avenues he could just transfer if it were that bad or get a lawyer.  Murder was far from his only way of dealing with something like that.  Hell, if he wanted to, if they were physically harming him, he could let them attack him physically and then let it be in self defense, but shooting someone because they make fun of you?  Do the words "f**k and you" not work?  This guy was mentally disturbed but he planned it out and I guarantee you he killed a lot of people who didn't do a damn thing to him so where's his excuse even if bullying drove him to do it?  He just wanted to go out in a blaze of glory because he was having his delusions of granduer and NBC played right into it.    

The best revenge really is to live well because the more you think about what they said and did the more power you give to them.  For most of the people who make comments to you, and this was a big revelation to me, they don't think of it ever again.

#53 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

Life for Rent: The best revenge really is to live well because the more you think about what they said and did the more power you give to them. For most of the people who make comments to you, and this was a big revelation to me, they don't think of it ever again.

Very wise words. :)

#54 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

View PostLife for Rent, on Apr 20 2007, 09:45 AM, said:

The best revenge really is to live well because the more you think about what they said and did the more power you give to them.  For most of the people who make comments to you, and this was a big revelation to me, they don't think of it ever again.

Amen.

And that is so true about those who make the comments not thinking of it again.  They go on and live their lives and forget what they did.

I had a guy in my class who picked on me all through high school.  Mean comments, not just teasing.  Once we were out of school and in college (different colleges) he came into the place I worked and after a while asked me out.  I asked him why I would want to go out with someone who treated me as he had all thru school.  He had no idea what I was talking about and I honestly to this day believe he did not know.  He apologized tho he did not remember but  I still would not go out with him.

That was before I learned the joy of forgiveness (tho it would not have changed my decision about him).  Ralph Waldo Emerson said "For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind" Forgiving someone for the harm they have done you frees you because he or she has already forgotten about it.  

It will be hard for people to forgive Cho  and forget him (the key thing here)  But I have already heard one girl, the one who found the first two victims at the dorm, say she has forgiven him because that is what she needs to do in order to move on.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#55 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:51 PM

There are a number of things that could be done to combat bullying - and some things are already in place.  I saw on Noggin (a teen channel) an advertisement for kids to be nice and reach out for the new kid - that kind of thing is bound to have a positive effect overall.  But - schools have to be proactive. I'd rather schools ditch the "group work" thing and let classes be competitive, while actively fostering understanding and shifting group dynamics toward positive reinforcement over cliquishness.  Giving kids the tools they need to be able to act in more friendly and inclusive ways - and safe space to do so is very valuable - and I daresay - it would make for better adults... not just avoiding the manufacture of psychopathic killers, but also creating adults who have the skills to reach out for strangers and make friends...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#56 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hell look at the places in the wold where we accept that people are dying from not having food or from an illness. Ask those folks for their feedback about the shooting in Virginia. Or the cancer patient dealing with their own fight for life?

See this is why I loath our media. they must have the camera in the face of the dying man or woman to fill a bit of air time.

I agree with you here G, on one of our news channels the coverage was soooo over the top. I mean, it IS tragic - and terribly sad, but to have a profile of each of the victims when it didn't even happen in this country and when they barely mention a car bomb in Baghdad killing just as many or more, it degrades everything into emotional exploitation.

Well, G1223 - let's not forget that we a very mobile species.... college campuses typically consist of kids from all over the country and the world. Even if the majority of kids are from Virginia - some might be from other places and their parents deserve to know what's going on.

Yes, this is true, and it's something I didn't even consider until I saw a notice at my uni saying "Students from this uni are safe and well".

As for the media milking it- is anyone honestly surprised?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#57 Timon

Timon
  • Islander
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

I'm not sure if the bullying played a huge part in this Cho guy going ballistic. Earlier today Cho's great aunt claimed he was diagnosed with autism soon after they emigrated to the U.S.

http://www.ndtv.com/...EWEN20070009309

Virginia Tech gunman Cho Seung-hui was diagnosed with autism after the family emigrated to the United States, a relative in South Korea said.

''From the beginning, he wouldn't answer me,'' said Kim Yang-soon, Cho's great aunt. ''(He) didn't talk. Normally sons and mothers talk. There was none of that for them. He was very cold.''

''When they went to the United States, they told them it was autism,'' said Kim, 85, adding that the family had constant worries about Cho.

Now I don't know much about autism, but I thought autistic people were in a world of their own and all the bullying in the world wouldn't penetrate? Or maybe he wasn't seriously affected by it and could get along some, so maybe the bullying made things even worse than they might have been. Hard to say I guess.

Edited by Timon, 20 April 2007 - 01:37 PM.

#58 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

There are lots of kinds of autism, from what I understand, and one of them is an inability to properly gauge emotions. If he had that kind - this thread is all the more poignant... from what I understand (and if anyone knows better please share), autistic people sometimes use other people's reactions to tell them how they should act and feel about things.  If he suffered from bullying and all and didn't know how to respond or react - its entirely conceivable that he got the idea to go on a killing spree from the media saying that that's how kids respond to bullying...

I don't actually believe that's the case, btw.  I'm just saying it's within the realm of possibility.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#59 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

I heard that Hillary Clinton was using what happened at Virginia Tech to launch a "Violent video games are responsible for this" campaign. If so, I'm surprised no one's posted anything about it on here :eh: Is it true?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#60 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Apr 20 2007, 07:59 PM, said:

I heard that Hillary Clinton was using what happened at Virginia Tech to launch a "Violent video games are responsible for this" campaign. If so, I'm surprised no one's posted anything about it on here :eh: Is it true?

Sparky

Oh I so hope that isn't true. I am so tired of videogames getting the blame for everything.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Shootings, Media Coverage, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users