• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Another man wondering if an attack on Iran is in the works wanted to know when America is going to “send an air mail message to Tehran.”
McCain began his answer by changing the words to a popular Beach Boys song.
“Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran,” he sang to the tune of Barbara Ann.

Frankly, I'd rather think McCain has lost his marbles than that he's lost his scruples, 'cause this could track either way.  

All this pandering to people he spat at in 2000... Falwell, in particular.  

Something's not right... the Straight Talk Express has taken a bit of a detour (down B*llsh*t Blvd).  I'd rather think he's been felled by dementia than by the desire to get to the Oval Office no matter what.

As much as I have always disagreed with his positions on most issues, I used to think he was better than that.  Was I just wrong, or has something really changed?

Edited by ScottEVill, 19 April 2007 - 03:43 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

Well bombing Iran's reactors will save Israel having to do it.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

View PostG1223, on Apr 19 2007, 05:10 PM, said:

And why, exactly, should we in the business of saving Israel from having to do it?

P.S., we've had this discussion before.  Bombing Iran's reactors won't prevent it from building a nuclear weapon, so it's hard to imagine why they should be bombed in the first place, other than because bombing Iran will make some people feel good about themselves.  I hope McCain isn't one such person, but his remarks today make me fear that he is--and they certainly solidify my feelings that, if he was ever right for the Presidency, that time has long passed.

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

Because we both see the real need that Iran does not need the bomb. Meanwhile we have a whole lot of people trying to BS us with well if we talk to them they will stop. Well we have talked and talk and talk till we are blue in the face and still they are working to make the bomb.

How long till we have to have a few hundred thousands dead to show that Iran is a true cancer worthy of surgury?

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'm sure he's just making a joke, ala Reagan, but he's gotta know that Iran would be building that into something, so, while I don't think McCain's gone nuts, I think he's shown pretty poor judgement.

Won't stop me from voting for him, though... his putting troops and equipment in harm's way to set up a false scenario to mislead the American people already did that trick.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Bombing the living sh*t out of Iraq is actually something that should have been done 4 years ago.  Terrorists love bombs anyway, so let's just give 'em a bunch.  They want to go to Allah so badly that they'll strap on bombs on themselves, let's just make it easier for them and drop some down right on top of them.  Why not?  To get rid of bugs, we spray 'em.  Terrorists are 2 legged bomb-builing bugs.  Time to call in the Orkin man.

Oh, wait, I'm sorry.  This is a liberal thread.  Silly me.  We can't hurt anyone.  We'll just send them scented letters asking them to stop being so naughty.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

You know, the reason not to bomb the crap out of Iraq has less to do with it being a liberal idea, and more to do with the fact that it's simply bad policy. You cannot bomb a guerilla movement, because per definition they live and hide in the civilian population.

And if a military leader starts mass bombing a civilian population on the vain hope that he'll take out every single terrorist, then he needs to be replaced as a military leader, because the captain of his brain-ship is drunk at the wheel. Not only can you not defeat a guerilla movement by bombing alone, but you will, not might, but WILL create a whole new crop of terrorists as people lose their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, sisters and children to the bombing.

Trying to bomb out terrorists hiding in a civilian populace is bad policy, virtually ineffective, and will incense both the nations populace, and world opinion against you.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Whether or not we should take military action against Iran is one thing--and a subject worthy of serious debate.

Singing "Bomb bomb bomb--bomb bomb Iran" to "Barbara Ann" is a whole nother thing. That's just not my idea of a presidential response. A late night comic, sure. A presidential candidate, no.

I honestly don't know what's up with McCain. I would have considered voting for him at one time, but his judgment seems to be getting shaky these days. It's worrisome.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

(DM smacks ScottEVill in the head with a thick stack of dry pasta for desecrating the Beach Boyz)

:p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Spidey: This is a liberal thread. Silly me. We can't hurt anyone. We'll just send them scented letters asking them to stop being so naughty.

Oh, is it scented letters now? I thought it was "tea and cookies."

:)

And if anyone who thinks that maybe getting into another war right now while we we're being worn down in Iraq is not a good idea is a liberal, that will come as a surprise to more than a few traditional conservatives.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 19 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

Spidey: This is a liberal thread. Silly me. We can't hurt anyone. We'll just send them scented letters asking them to stop being so naughty.

:)

And if anyone who thinks that maybe getting into another war right now while we we're being worn down in Iraq is not a good idea is a liberal, that will come as a surprise to more than a few traditional conservatives.

LOL!  Operation: Bake-off is now underway, aprons at the ready! :wink:

Edited by Life for Rent, 19 April 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 19 2007, 03:45 PM, said:

Tea and cookies was G's line.  ;)  I come up with my own material. :p :D

I misread "Iran" for "Iraq".  My bad.  So, getting into another war I do not agree with.  I think this should be left with the UN.  I'd like to see how well the situation in Iran is handled without the U.S. involved.  Should be rather interesting to say the least.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

View PostG1223, on Apr 19 2007, 05:27 PM, said:

Well we have talked and talk and talk till we are blue in the face and still they are working to make the bomb.

We have had no talks with Iran.  None.  And you didn't answer my question:

G1223 said:

And why, exactly, should we in the business of saving Israel from having to do it?

#14 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

IMO Scott-I think he's lost it.

But then again a lot of people have. :unsure:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

View PostSpidey, on Apr 19 2007, 05:28 PM, said:

Oh, wait, I'm sorry.  This is a liberal thread.  Silly me.  We can't hurt anyone.  We'll just send them scented letters asking them to stop being so naughty.

Bacon scented. And with the low quality paper that causes lots of paper cuts.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Apr 19 2007, 05:22 PM, said:

If Israel attacks Iran then Iran is likely to try to strike back at both us and Iran.  Iran isn't going to sit on their rear after the Israelis hit them hard.  If we have to fight Iran I would rather be the ones getting in the first strike and hitting their war fighting capability as hard as possible from the start.  It isn't the best option but if it comes down to a war I'd rather be getting the first heavy punch in ourselves.  

Scott: P.S., we've had this discussion before.  Bombing Iran's reactors won't prevent it from building a nuclear weapon, so it's hard to imagine why they should be bombed in the first place, other than because bombing Iran will make some people feel good about themselves.
No but it is likely to throw a major kink in their program.  Having your infrastructure to build a bomb blown
sky high is going to have some impact on them no matter how you look at it.  It might not be as devastating as attacking Iraq's reactor was but it is likely to have an impact on the program.  It may hold it back or prevent them from building as many bombs as they could have before.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Apr 19 2007, 06:38 PM, said:

You know, the reason not to bomb the crap out of Iraq has less to do with it being a liberal idea, and more to do with the fact that it's simply bad policy. You cannot bomb a guerilla movement, because per definition they live and hide in the civilian population.

And if a military leader starts mass bombing a civilian population on the vain hope that he'll take out every single terrorist, then he needs to be replaced as a military leader, because the captain of his brain-ship is drunk at the wheel. Not only can you not defeat a guerilla movement by bombing alone, but you will, not might, but WILL create a whole new crop of terrorists as people lose their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, sisters and children to the bombing.

Trying to bomb out terrorists hiding in a civilian populace is bad policy, virtually ineffective, and will incense both the nations populace, and world opinion against you.

World Opinion is that we as  America should be kicked and beaten so each of them can be the dog on top of the pile.  Maybe it is time to show why we are a superpower and kill 20 or 30 million of them in a few minutes. Terror is a weapon and the arab world knows that it's existance hangs like it did under mogols but a mogol with a much faster means of death.

The peace of the Mogols was if you create trouble we will kill you and as many of your peopl as we can find till they hand you over to save their families lives.

TANSTAAFL

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:55 AM

View PostG1223, on Apr 20 2007, 05:23 AM, said:

Maybe it is time to show why we are a superpower and kill 20 or 30 million of them in a few minutes. Terror is a weapon and the arab world knows that it's existance hangs like it did under mogols but a mogol with a much faster means of death.

Terror is a weapon? I'm sure the terrorists you're supposedly fighting in this 'war on terror' agree wholeheartedly with you.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

They seem to get away with their goals. They drove spain out of the colition. They have given europe a reason to back off being forceful with Iran. So How have they lost?

There is a reason the mogols ruled over those people they made the price of rebelling  too horrible to consider. But you are right we cannot win so lets stop fighting. We shurg and pout when they kill there next batch of victims. and hope for the day someone simply vaporizes the  the billion or so souls of the arab world. But thenagain that would be China as the West will not simply do what needs done with the rapid dog that is the arab world.

TANSTAAFL

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

View PostG1223, on Apr 20 2007, 08:52 AM, said:

But you are right we cannot win so lets stop fighting.

I've told you before G, DO NOT put words in my mouth. I said that indiscriminate bombing of civilian populations wouldn't win this war on terror and I stand by that. However that is about a million miles from saying that the war in Iraq cannot be won.

I consider you a friend G, but if you continue to do this to me, to intentionally pretend that I said things I didn't, I will go off on you like no one on this board has ever seen me do.  :angry:

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, John McCain, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users