Politics 2007 Op-Ed The Guardian American Fascism

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

If we become a facist state it will because of voter apathy. And the cooperative efforts of both parties.

This is true.  And, unfortunately, it's happening.  More people vote for American Idol than for people who are gonna have some impact on their lives.

'Course, we're being given a fairly lousy choice of candidates, and are being misinformed about even those... it's a hard situation to rectify.   I think all great civilizations, given time, slip into ennui eventually... and things like fascism love ennui.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#22 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

View Postsierraleone, on Apr 26 2007, 04:40 AM, said:

^ Its one thing for a new President to not do what Bush is doing, its another to reverse the laws that allowed him to do it. Those seeds will always be there until the legislator reverses them will they not? And the president can veto that unless they have 2/3 majority.
So a President at some point in the future can choose to pick them up and run with them later.

Except if you take the general attitude of this forum as the general consensus of the country, everybody is pissed at Bush, and everybody is pissed of at the legislature. As such, its going to be a good likely hood that the next president, and likely congress, will have the exact opposite attitude as this one and will reverse many of the laws that Cait dislikes. Which is how this country works.

If the US were truly facist, then that election wouldn't happen. Bush would remain president, and Congress would be "taken care of." Until that happens, there is no way in hell that you can convince me that the U.S. is in any way facist. Period.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#23 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

If the US were truly facist, then that election wouldn't happen. Bush would remain president, and Congress would be "taken care of." Until that happens, there is no way in hell that you can convince me that the U.S. is in any way facist.

I have to admit that at one time, the thought crossed my mind that, under the right cercumstances, Bush caould have declared Marshall Law, cacelled one election, and it would all be over, but he doesn't have that kind of popularity now. Not like the first term, and the time around the second election.

I've been riding my sibs about voting for him. They haven't been to the house, or called, in some time.

:ninjadeath:

Except if you take the general attitude of this forum as the general consensus of the country,

We are a little Democrat heavy here, so we can't be the general consensus, but he is in some trouble, and that will reflect somewhat on the next republican cadidate.

Edited by Kosh, 27 April 2007 - 04:08 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, 2007, Op-Ed, The Guardian, American Fascism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users