59 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:06 AM

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 12:02 PM, said:

Basically this is to me sounding like security is being used as the excuse and not the concern. We do not want to be bothered so we will find anexcuse to prevent dialog sounds like animal farm to me more and more.
What Laoise said.

They are NOT being singled out.  EVERYONE is prohibited from flying.  How can anyone possibly argue that this is some kind of attempt to stifle anti gay speech?

:wacko:
Posted Image

#22 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:06 AM

I'm sure that homosexuals will be *thrilled* to know that they can find Jesus and be cured. Rhea rolls her eyes

Is there some reason that they can't  stand at the park entrance with a friggin' sign like all the other protestors??  :sarcasm:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#23 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:27 AM

Rhea, on Jun 6 2003, 08:10 PM, said:

I'm sure that homosexuals will be *thrilled* to know that they can find Jesus and be cured. Rhea rolls her eyes

Is there some reason that they can't  stand at the park entrance with a friggin' sign like all the other protestors??  :sarcasm:
You mean stand on the streets of Orlando? that is as close to off park property one can get. They cannot protest on the highway the state prohibits such things as it blocks highway traffice. So not they cannot protest there. The parking lot is private proerty as is the park itself.  So they cannot make their statement there.

The town is as I remember 20 mins away with numerous routes to have traffic go to avoid any sort of protest.

BTW that is for every protestor. They can get no closer due to Disney and the stae's property. That is protest legally and not get thrown into jail

Edited by G1223, 07 June 2003 - 07:34 AM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:33 AM

Laoise, on Jun 6 2003, 07:11 PM, said:

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 01:02 PM, said:

Basically this is to me sounding like security is being used as the excuse and not the concern. We do not want to be bothered so we will find anexcuse to prevent dialog sounds like animal farm to me more and more.
Basically this is sounding to me like these American Christians are being treated like American citizens, no more equal or less equal to everyone else.  The FAA isn't giving the Christian group special privileges that aren't available to the rest of Americans.  How is treating someone the same as everyone else discrimination?
If there were another avenue for them to speak in or do their protest legally in I would agree but as has been said Disney has security arrangements such that a no protestor can get within sight of the parks legally.

Those that do enter are removed and given refunds if tickets were bought or arrested for tresspassing otherwise. They cannot protest from the highways as the State will arrest them or remove them in the interst of  public safty and to prevent blockage of the interstate.

These are the same circumstances that have prevented some protests against forgien leaders or their families  from having hteir visits disrupted by protestors of their violations.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#25 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:38 AM

^ And they can protest on the streets of Orlando and get media coverage, therefore sending out their message like any other protestors.  They don't have to be above or at Disney World to let people know what they think.
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#26 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:40 AM

If there were another avenue for them to speak in or do their protest legally in I would agree but as has been said Disney has security arrangements such that a no protestor can get within sight of the parks legally.

Those that do enter are removed and given refunds if tickets were bought or arrested for tresspassing otherwise. They cannot protest from the highways as the State will arrest them or remove them in the interst of public safty and to prevent blockage of the interstate.

Oh, Boo-Hoo! :sarcasm:  

Why don't they go and really do the type of work that Jesus did... By attending to the poor, the hungry the sick. Really give something of themselves to help another, less fortunate person.

And really listen to his words too...Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Edited because Neo's post snuck in between mine & G's

Edited by chiron777, 07 June 2003 - 07:50 AM.

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#27 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:41 AM

That's right, they're acting for special dispensation, well there's no basis for it.

Lil
Posted Image

#28 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:43 AM

^ So, basically, you're saying that because they're Christian and can't find a better way to protest, they should have special rights and privileges that no one else in the country has?

I can't agree with that, as I believe in equality.
Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#29 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:45 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 6 2003, 03:45 PM, said:

That's right, they're acting for special dispensation, well there's no basis for it.

Lil
Yes, exactly.

They're not suing to reverse the reg as unnecessary. They just want it suspended while they do THEIR protest, and put back in place again right after.

Ro

#30 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:52 AM

They are asking the courts for dispensation. Isn't that the legal recourse when it is discovered that Government policy does not allow for such action?

Iagre it's stupid. And if the park was saying it was security alone that was thier concern I would agree. Disney is claiming security butalso they do not want to make park visitors unhappy. I understand they do not but this shows that the concerns are not for security alone.

And Chiron I got to say you prove the animal farm statement with that last posting.

Why don't you go have have children and be quiet like an sterotyped american housewife?

I'll tell you why becasue you are exersieing your right to disagree with a group you dislike.  That does not change the fact what they want to do is express themselves in a lawful manner.

To restate I do not like their message either. I do think if done in a controlled enviroment that they can get their say and folks down below can take that one way or the other.

TANSTAAFL

#31 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:46 AM

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 12:56 PM, said:

And Chiron I got to say you prove the animal farm statement with that last posting.

Why don't you go have have children and be quiet like an sterotyped american housewife?
I don't see how that relates.  I would expect a group that espouses a particular moral standard to also live by it.  I would like to see Christians to do the work of Christ, that being showing compassion for the suffering.  

I, myself am for zero population growth.  I did not bear children but have three step children.  So between them, my husband, his ex and me, we do have zero population growth.  So in that regard I am following what I believe in.

Now as to being a quiet housewife. My mother was housewife and raised us kids, that is all she did.  She is one of the most opinionated people I have ever met.  So I am just following in her foot steps. ;)

I think if someone is following the teachings of a teacher be it Christ, Buddah, Rumi.  It is not stereotypical in my view to do the work that the teacher has and to follow their beliefs, otherwise, why bother studying from that teacher?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#32 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:05 AM

Laoise, on Jun 6 2003, 01:11 PM, said:

Basically this is sounding to me like these American Christians are being treated like American citizens, no more equal or less equal to everyone else.  The FAA isn't giving the Christian group special privileges that aren't available to the rest of Americans.  How is treating someone the same as everyone else discrimination?
I completely agree.

Enforce the no-fly zone, why should this group have special dispensation from everyone else, it's not discrimination... it's enforcing a law. That and the fact that if I were a tourist, I would not want my vacation runied by that, I doubt that many others would either.

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#33 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:17 AM

chiron777, on Jun 6 2003, 04:50 PM, said:

I think if someone is following the teachings of a teacher be it Christ, Buddah, Rumi.  It is not stereotypical in my view to do the work that the teacher has and to follow their beliefs, otherwise, why bother studying from that teacher?
An excellent point, I agree  but may I just mention that it's spelled Buddha?

/Buddhist spelling nitpick :)

Thanks,

Ro

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:51 AM

Ro-Astarte, on Jun 6 2003, 03:21 PM, said:

chiron777, on Jun 6 2003, 04:50 PM, said:

I think if someone is following the teachings of a teacher be it Christ, Buddah, Rumi.  It is not stereotypical in my view to do the work that the teacher has and to follow their beliefs, otherwise, why bother studying from that teacher?
An excellent point, I agree  but may I just mention that it's spelled Buddha?

/Buddhist spelling nitpick :)

Thanks,

Ro
LOL! Trust me when I say that Chiron knows how to spell it. :p :p She is apparently afflicted with the same disease I have - poor typing while on a roll. :D
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:03 AM

thanks Ro!

Yep, Rhea you are right, I didn't even see the misspelling until it was pointed out!

#36 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:38 AM

I leave the thread now basically understanding that two standards exist. Your not standing here for the issue of security but becasue it's aimed at a Gay's right group gathering.

No Conservative group should be allowed to ask for permission to do anything that would upset a liberal group. But the reverse is not there.

TANSTAAFL

#37 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:54 PM

No worries. :)

I see many variations, trust me.   :cool:  Just felt a little odd to read it, so I figured I'd speak up.

Unlike my normal shy reticence. ;)

Ro

#38 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:08 PM

chiron777, on Jun 6 2003, 04:07 PM, said:

thanks Ro!

Yep, Rhea you are right, I didn't even see the misspelling until it was pointed out!
LOVE the new piggy avatar.  :cool:  :cool:
- Robert A. Heinlein

#39 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:16 PM

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 06:42 PM, said:

I leave the thread now basically understanding that two standards exist. Your not standing here for the issue of security but becasue it's aimed at a Gay's right group gathering.

No Conservative group should be allowed to ask for permission to do anything that would upset a liberal group. But the reverse is not there.
If that's what you take from the thread, you are not reading it at all. Just playing your favorite tape.

Ro

Edited by Ro-Astarte, 07 June 2003 - 02:17 PM.

#40 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:20 PM

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 04:42 PM, said:

Nonsense.

The very second you come forth with information that a "liberal" group has requested and been GRANTED an exemption from the no fly rule in question we'll have something to talk about.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Anti-Gay, Disney no fly zone

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users