• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:39 AM

It's anecdote time!

My best friend describes his experience at a Disney World gay-day, and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Several years ago he had taken his family there, unaware that they were in the middle of a "Gay Day". It became evident enough once they were in the park, but so far so good. He took his son into the men's room, and there were several activities going on there that one doesn't normally see at the theme park.

He took his family out of there and is upset to this day that there was no official Disney warning of these days for families. Disney World is a theme park, not a bath house.

-Ogami

#42 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:45 AM

:eek:

Wow!

Hey Ogami it's nice to see you back at ExIsle.:)
Posted Image

#43 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:06 AM

Hi Lil,

Yes, I enjoyed my time here some months ago, but I left because I didn't want to offend a certain Andromeda writer. How nice to get a complimentary post from him on my season finale review on the official board, so I guess there's no reason not to post here now. It's a great board.

-Ogami

#44 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 06:03 AM

Well I'm glad you're back.:)
Posted Image

#45 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:37 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 6 2003, 08:24 PM, said:

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 04:42 PM, said:

I leave the thread now basically understanding that two standards exist. Your not standing here for the issue of security but becasue it's aimed at a Gay's right group gathering.

No Conservative group should be allowed to ask for permission to do anything that would upset a liberal group. But the reverse is not there.
Nonsense.

The very second you come forth with information that a "liberal" group has requested and been GRANTED an exemption from the no fly rule in question we'll have something to talk about.
No kidding!!!
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#46 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:52 AM

G1223, on Jun 5 2003, 10:15 PM, said:

Disney is also saying  that it's not wanting it done for reasons of not offending park visitors whcih means it's not totally a security matter.
That would matter if Disney was making the decision, but they weren't. The FAA was making the decision.

#47 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:53 AM

G1223, on Jun 6 2003, 03:31 PM, said:

You mean stand on the streets of Orlando? that is as close to off park property one can get. They cannot protest on the highway the state prohibits such things as it blocks highway traffice. So not they cannot protest there. The parking lot is private proerty as is the park itself.  So they cannot make their statement there.

The town is as I remember 20 mins away with numerous routes to have traffic go to avoid any sort of protest.

BTW that is for every protestor. They can get no closer due to Disney and the stae's property. That is protest legally and not get thrown into jail
I live in Orlando, and that is correct--Disney isn't near downtown Orlando at all.  Although Gaydays isn't limited to Disney by any means whatsoever.  People just go to the parks during the day (Universal Studios as well gets heavy Gaydays traffic).  There are parties, and tons of special events throughout Orlando in conjunction w/ Gaydays, so protesters can and likely have been out this past weekend to those places they're allowed to go and spread their naive-and-narrowminded-yet-perfectly-protected-speech quite sufficiently.

Gaydays isn't just Disney, it's the entire greater Orlando area.  Bars, Clubs, Museums, Restaurants . . . you name it.

-Nick

#48 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:21 AM

Hey Nick, glad to see a fellow Ex Isle here. Yes, rainbow flags fly from every lightpole in downtown Orlando during those days, it's quite nice.

A decade ago, Pat Robertson threatened hailstorms, plagues, and comets were Orlando to follow through with these minor celebrations. The city's still here. (Our town slogan is, "The City Beautiful".)

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 11 June 2003 - 07:28 AM.

#49 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:48 AM

Iagre it's stupid. And if the park was saying it was security alone that was thier concern I would agree. Disney is claiming security butalso they do not want to make park visitors unhappy. I understand they do not but this shows that the concerns are not for security alone.

Whatever Disney's reasons were in the begining, it's out of their hands now. It's an FAA ban because of security. Disney's wants are meaningless now that the ban is in place. As you said, all they can do is go to court, but I bet the court upholds the ban. Lifting it for these people opens the door to others. I don't think the court wil want to deal with it.
Can't Touch This!!

#50 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:56 AM

He took his family out of there and is upset to this day that there was no official Disney warning of these days for families. Disney World is a theme park, not a bath house.

-Ogami

I hope he took the time to inform Disney before leaving. I believe I would have demanded a refund in his case. If they traveled far then they lost a good bit of money.
Can't Touch This!!

#51 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:11 AM

I'll have to ask, Kosh. If the whole point of gaydays at Disney was to show that gays are decent, normal Americans, a good number of them didn't display it through their bath house antics on that visit.

-Ogami

#52 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:22 AM

^ Granted I've never been to Disneyland or Gaydays, but I've also noticed that most straight people, when put in a large group celebrating some characteristic about themselves, are also incapable of demonstrating decent and normal behaviour.
Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#53 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:15 PM

Laoise, on Jun 10 2003, 05:26 PM, said:

^ Granted I've never been to Disneyland or Gaydays, but I've also noticed that most straight people, when put in a large group celebrating some characteristic about themselves, are also incapable of demonstrating decent and normal behaviour.
Agreed.  Straight clubs and bars don't tend to need to put signs on their bathroom stalls proclaiming "one occupant at a time please" . . .  but then again . . . the gender signs on the door tend to solve that issue pretty well enough.  In the situation of gay venues however, gender separated bathrooms are meaningless for the most part . . . but that's more of a logistics thing.

Frankly the problem is this:  Disney, a generally "whole family enviornment" theme park has a massive influx of single ADULTS (forgetting sexual orientation for the moment) . . . it's naive to think that certain thngs won't happen in those circumstances.

And to give a heterosexual cross-example, I'll bring up another city in Florida I've lived in--Pensacola.  Like many beach towns, there's this tradition.  Many graduating high school seniors will participate in "Beach Week".  Which entails renting condos on the beach and spending the week before graduation engaging in all kinds of drunken debauchery.  The beaches are overrun by intoxicated highschool students frollicking about and families and children that happen to be around will see some seriously upsetting things going on.

Now, local businesses don't turn away family vacationers with warnings along the lines of "Ummm.  It's beach week, are you REALLY sure you all want to visit NOW!?".  And frankly I think that's stupid.

*Sidenote Pensacola is also fairly well known for its version of "Gaydays", Memorial day weekend, which also brings in a massive amount of gays and lesbians, but I left it out for sake of a non-gay example to compare to.

The only *problem* with Gaydays is that it's a massive party weekend that caters to adults.  The same issues occur during Bike Week in Daytona, or Freaknik in Atlanta. I'm sure there are tons of other examples.

Travellers just need to be aware of these things, and businesses should inform them.

-Nick

#54 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:10 AM

Laoise wrote:

Granted I've never been to Disneyland or Gaydays, but I've also noticed that most straight people, when put in a large group celebrating some characteristic about themselves, are also incapable of demonstrating decent and normal behaviour.

Sorry, heterosexuals don't carry out mass bath house couplings in Disney bathrooms.

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 12 June 2003 - 12:10 AM.

#55 Alex

Alex

I'm gay, yay.

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 02:28 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 5 2003, 04:50 PM, said:

I think the no-fly zone should be enforced... not only for safety, but because I really don't like these people. ;). Free speech, you may ask? Perhaps, but to have your vacation ruined by bigotry? C'mon...
My god... If I saw a plane with a banner like that, I'd shoot it down. :angry:
Click here to know more about me. There's even picture of me there! Wow.

#56 Douglas

Douglas
  • Islander
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 02:40 AM

Ogami, on Jun 11 2003, 01:14 PM, said:

Laoise wrote:

Granted I've never been to Disneyland or Gaydays, but I've also noticed that most straight people, when put in a large group celebrating some characteristic about themselves, are also incapable of demonstrating decent and normal behaviour.

Sorry, heterosexuals don't carry out mass bath house couplings in Disney bathrooms.

-Ogami
Let's not go making generalizations.  There are homosexuals who have strictly monogamous relationships, and there are heterosexuals who...don't.  None of us can speak for every Gay person or every Straight person in the world.

#57 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:38 AM

Ogami, on Jun 11 2003, 07:14 AM, said:

Laoise wrote:

-Ogami
Maybe not Disney bathrooms, but I can tell you for certain that some heterosexuals do carry out bath house style couplings in family resturant bathrooms.
Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#58 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:00 PM

Ogami, on Jun 11 2003, 08:14 AM, said:

Laoise wrote:

-Ogami
This isn't exactly Disney . . .  But you live in the greater Orlando area Ogami . . . Start perusing public restrooms in Daytona during Bike Week.

Like I said above--get enough adults in a small enough area for a big event . . . regardless of orientation or even interests . . . and those kinds of things WILL happen.  I still don't feel that gay events and establishments are at all any more sexual than similar "straight" places.

In fact, I'd wager a good bit of money that more straight couples have had sex in the Roxy or Taboo (two largeish straight clubs in Orlando) than gay couples EVER had at Southern Nights (a Gay Club in Orlando).

-Nick

#59 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:42 AM

This isn't exactly Disney . . . But you live in the greater Orlando area Ogami . . . Start perusing public restrooms in Daytona during Bike Week.

Do I have to? ;)

And Bike Week ain't exactly "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride".

#60 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:44 AM

Douglas wrote:

Let's not go making generalizations. There are homosexuals who have strictly monogamous relationships, and there are heterosexuals who...don't. None of us can speak for every Gay person or every Straight person in the world.

Good, I didn't. This is direct, eyewitness observation by a shocked father taking his son into a Disney bathroom. Not supposed to be a bathhouse.

Bath house, as in the place where gay orgies take place even today with completely unprotected sex. That's self-destructive, not normal. And for the record, no I don't judge every gay by how these people acted at Disney. But there it is.

-Ogami

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Anti-Gay, Disney no fly zone

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users