#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

Obama overstates Kansas tornado deaths By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 8, 11:33 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record), caught up in the fervor of a campaign speech Tuesday, drastically overstated the Kansas tornadoes death toll, saying 10,000 had died. The death toll was 12.

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died an entire town destroyed," the Democratic presidential candidate said in a speech to 500 people packed into a sweltering Richmond art studio for a fundraiser.

Obama mentioned the disaster in Greensburg, Kan., in saying he had been told by the office of Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius that the state's National Guard had been depleted by its commitment to the        Iraq War.

Der, where on earth did he manage to get that number??? :Oo:  Is he trying to make things sound more dramatic, or is he just really bad at getting his facts straight?  It's kind of odd to see this go unnoticed by so many lefties.  If Bush said that, he would be severely criticized for it by many without a doubt, or hesitation.  I know I wouldn't hesitate.

Let the defending of Obama begin!

*sits back*

Full article:

http://news.yahoo.co...9uUJDNow4Zp24cA
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

16 is the *official* number. I heard the DoD is undercounting it.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

View PostSpidey, on May 9 2007, 07:16 PM, said:

Obama overstates Kansas tornado deaths By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 8, 11:33 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record), caught up in the fervor of a campaign speech Tuesday, drastically overstated the Kansas tornadoes death toll, saying 10,000 had died. The death toll was 12.

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died an entire town destroyed," the Democratic presidential candidate said in a speech to 500 people packed into a sweltering Richmond art studio for a fundraiser.

Obama mentioned the disaster in Greensburg, Kan., in saying he had been told by the office of Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius that the state's National Guard had been depleted by its commitment to the        Iraq War.

Der, where on earth did he manage to get that number??? :Oo:  Is he trying to make things sound more dramatic, or is he just really bad at getting his facts straight?  It's kind of odd to see this go unnoticed by so many lefties.  If Bush said that, he would be severely criticized for it by many without a doubt, or hesitation.  I know I wouldn't hesitate.

Let the defending of Obama begin!

*sits back*

Full article:

http://news.yahoo.co...9uUJDNow4Zp24cA
It's a screw up, and makes him look bad. A few hundred more of those and a website or two called Obamaisms, and you've got a case.

#4 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

yeah I heard this on Rush's radio this morning ~
he didn't get that number, he was jus speakin fas is all ;)
Obama impresses me as the kinda guy who speaks more than reading prepared speaches, except at some convention where there are teleprompters and everyone has a prepared text speach --
but he speaks, he chats, he goes like extemporaneous-plus, with phrases and headline titles but then gets to talkin ; so it's easy when gettin really crankin and the passion and the adrenalin and the symbiosis with the audience -- and misspeak a line ; bah, I don't expect any righties really think he researched and meant that number then got it wrong; they jus use it in their agenda-speak for talk radio and talk tv.
:)
Just the way the rolling stone rolls
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#5 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

Well it did happen in Kansas. Maybe he was factoring in the folks who were merely launched safely to Emerald City. Sure, they can get home...but you try picking up a pair of ruby slippers in this economy. :humble:

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

I was wondering if the Yellowstone supervolcano blew up, or something! :blink: :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

Good heavens.  That's an awful thing to say, glibly.  Not the worst thing by far, but, bad.  Maybe he misunderstood and there were tens of thousands of homes damaged?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on May 9 2007, 07:20 PM, said:

16 is the *official* number. I heard the DoD is undercounting it.

Even if it rose to 160, that's still a vast difference from 10,000.

View PostHambil, on May 9 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

It's a screw up, and makes him look bad. A few hundred more of those and a website or two called Obamaisms, and you've got a case.

Indeed it is a screw up.  Not a major one, but a screw up nonetheless.  A gross error, and one he hasn't made any correction of last I checked.  Why would I need a few hundred more to have a case?  Would you like me to discuss his actions toward the guy who created an Obama fan-site that was taken away from him because his campaign team didn't want to pay for it?  It simply shows a case where the man failed to check the facts, and should at the very least raise an eyebrow on his future speaches/comments and so forth.  We all make errors, but this is way off.

View Postoffworlder, on May 9 2007, 07:37 PM, said:

yeah I heard this on Rush's radio this morning ~
he didn't get that number, he was jus speakin fas is all ;)
Obama impresses me as the kinda guy who speaks more than reading prepared speaches, except at some convention where there are teleprompters and everyone has a prepared text speach --
but he speaks, he chats, he goes like extemporaneous-plus, with phrases and headline titles but then gets to talkin ; so it's easy when gettin really crankin and the passion and the adrenalin and the symbiosis with the audience -- and misspeak a line ; bah, I don't expect any righties really think he researched and meant that number then got it wrong; they jus use it in their agenda-speak for talk radio and talk tv.
:)
Just the way the rolling stone rolls

Bush is good at speakifyin' too.  ;)

Sure, I can understand a person getting carried away talking, but 10,000 dead??? :Oo:

View Postscherzo, on May 9 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

Well it did happen in Kansas. Maybe he was factoring in the folks who were merely launched safely to Emerald City. Sure, they can get home...but you try picking up a pair of ruby slippers in this economy. :humble:

-scherzo

Umm, if they live in Kansas, and they ended up in Oz, I doubt they'd be wanting to go back to Kansas.  :lol:  Except for maybe Smallville. ;)

View PostDigital Man, on May 9 2007, 08:54 PM, said:

I was wondering if the Yellowstone supervolcano blew up, or something! :blink: :whatsthat:

That's next week. :p

View PostQueenTiye, on May 9 2007, 09:10 PM, said:

Good heavens.  That's an awful thing to say, glibly.  Not the worst thing by far, but, bad.  Maybe he misunderstood and there were tens of thousands of homes damaged?

QT

Agreed, it was an awful thing to say, but not the worst thing.  Maybe he did misunderstand, or was misinformed.  I certainly would like to know.  I'm curious.  That poor town essentially got wiped off the map as far as property goes.
Posted Image

#9 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

It sounds to me like he misspoke.  He might have meant 10,000 homes destroyed, or whatever.  I don't know.  I agree that it doesn't make him look good, but I'll wait until he gets known for silly mistakes before I really make fun of him for it.

Honestly, if Bush misspoke every now and then, I'd shrug and move on.  I misspeak all the time.  But Bush does it just about every time he opens his mouth, often with amusing results.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#10 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

It simply shows a case where the man failed to check the facts, and should at the very least raise an eyebrow on his future speaches/comments and so forth.  We all make errors, but this is way off.
Damn straight! Lazy bum just wants to lay claim to 10,000 dead without actually doing the work of helping kill them, like Bush.

#11 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:16 AM

It sure is nice having you around, Hambil.  :)
Posted Image

#12 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

I do extemp speaking all the time when I lecture.  My mind's racing to stay ahead of where my mouth is and it can be fairly easy to make a mistake like this.  I'm no Obama fan, but, this can be a fairly easy mistake to make for an extemp speaker.  Shoot, I had a student in the most recent production say, "Pame and shain" for "Shame and pain."  And that was a guy using a script!

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#13 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

Just a verbal gaffe.  You'll find 'em in anybody who makes that many speeches with that many people listening.  He probably meant to say "ten dead" or something and just goofed up and added a "thousand" after it... I've said dumb stuff like that myself.

It's a cinch he wasn't trying to lie, though, since it would be (and was) waaaaaaay too easy to catch it when he's off by thousands and thousands.

This gaffe doesn't tell you much about Obama.  But the fact that Rush and Drudge and other right-wing shills have been playing this up as much as they can tells you something about the GOP:  they're frickin' terrified of Obama.  And they should be.  :D

Cheers,

Zwolf

*edited because, lo and behold, I made a verbal gaffe myself.  Toldja I did that sometimes! :)

Edited by Zwolf, 10 May 2007 - 09:39 AM.

"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way
But I'm never talking to you again

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you