Children Kidnapping 2007 Madeleine McCann Crime

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

This story has been splashed all over the news for the last two weeks now, every single day, so I am sure you all know about it, but still, a post is needed.

The disappearance of Madeleine McCann occurred on 3 May 2007 when the three-year-old girl vanished while staying in a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in the Algarve region of Portugal. Police believe she has been kidnapped.

Ok, we all know that in essence, it was the parents *fault* but now is not the time to blame anyone, the most important thing is to get this kid back.

I am posting it here, because it has been two weeks now, and nobody is none the wiser, and she could be anywhere in the world.

her disappearance
Madeleine's parents had put her and her siblings, two-year-old twins, to bed and were dining 100 yards away with friends at a restaurant near the Mark Warner Ocean Summer Club, in Praia da Luz, when she disappeared from the apartment where they were staying. Kate and Gerry McCann were taking turns checking on their children. At approximately 21:30 WEST (Western European Summer Time), Gerry checked on the children and they were all fine. At around 21:45 WEST the McCanns returned from the restaurant to find an empty bed and the apartment door and window wide open. Staff and guests at the complex searched until 04:30 WEST whilst police on the Spanish border and all airports in Portugal and Spain were notified.

Posted Image

REWARD

After we kicked off the fund with £250,000, Harry Potter author JK ROWLING put up a staggering amount — the largest single donation. But she asked us not to reveal the exact figure.

Topshop tycoon SIR PHILIP GREEN matched our £250,000 and said: "I hope this makes a difference."

Virgin's SIR RICHARD BRANSON put up £100,000, saying: "I'd like to appeal as a father to whoever is holding her to please bring her home safe."

Ann Summers boss JACQUELINE GOLD donated £100,000, explaining she wanted to get involved after meeting Sara Payne, She said: "I pray that this nightmare comes to an end soon with the safe return of their beautiful little girl"

Telly star SIMON COWELL promised £50,000, saying: "I heard about the terrible situation here in LA and I hope she is found safe and sound."

Manchester United star WAYNE ROONEY and fiancée Coleen McLoughlin pledged £25,000, telling us: "We are praying for Maddie's safe return and for an end to what must be a nightmare for all her family."

The England cricket team joined in with £20,000. Captain MICHAEL VAUGHAN said: "Our thoughts and prayers are for Maddie's safe return."

Entrepreneur SIR TOM HUNTER pledged £100,000 with EasyJet boss SIR STELIOS Haji-Ioannou and Matalan chief JOHN HARGREAVES chipping in with large sums too.

This brings the total up to £2.5 Million for the safe return of Madeleine McCann, who turned four yesterday.

I am posting this because I realise it is very unlikely, but she really could be anywhere in the world.

A poster I saw today, read something along the lines of : "Look into my eyes".

According to logic, the kidnapper could have changed her appearance, but if you look into her eyes, you can see on her right eye (left to us) her iris creeps into her pupil, a very distinct thing, and one the kidnapper couldn't exactly remove.

Click Here for the News of the world poster (the poster was printed this morning, thus the sum is "only" £1.5 million, but i assure you it is now £2.5 million (according to the BBC anyway)

Here is a news article about it: http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/6650711.stm

I know it is very unlikely, but it goes without saying, if anyone sees this little girl, contact:

Portuguese police

Crime stoppers

News of the world

Or simply call your local police station / sheriff office or even your local emergency number (999/112/911 etc)

I have no doubt the reward will grow in stature throughout the next few days.
[Insert Signature Here]

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

I saw a vid yesterday where BECKHAM got on to spread the word, describe the case, try to elicit help, pub'd the help call line ......................... I thought it was interesting how the parents left all three kids alone, even if coming to check every hour or two, it was just an interesting twist; guess it's hard to get a babysitter in that resort
:( {but easy for someone casing the joint to see the rythm of the parents checking and going, pick the time to pop in}
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

While this is an utterly horrific thing to happen, its entirely the parents fault. You NEVER EVER leave a child under 6 alone for more than minute, I get worried about leaving my cousin alone for half an hour and he's 11.  I'm actually getting sick of this 'its their fault but lets not blame this' thing.

Edited by Shadowfire, 13 May 2007 - 10:32 AM.

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#4 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

To be honest SF, I agree with you, but you said it :tongue:

However I do think of course, the main priory is to get the kid back, and then social services can step in..

Edited by Murphy575, 13 May 2007 - 11:17 AM.

[Insert Signature Here]

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

I can't BELIEVE these idiots went out to dinner and left their children alone in an apartment in a strange country, for the love of Pete! Gee, let me think...somebody must have noticed the parents ducking in and out every 15 minutes..  :blink:  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Exactly, its stupid.
I mean checking ever 15 mins, fine, but it takes under one of those 15 for someone to come in and take a kid - how long would you say, twenty seconds?

And in a strange country!

Well what's done is done, be it stupid, I'm sure they didn't mean it, its hard to, but its important to remember that at the end of the day, there is a little girl out there somewhere, who I'm sure is missing her mummy and daddy greatly, and she needs to be returned, not for the parents sake so much, but for the kids sake.

Of course, these things should never happen, but they do, that's the way of the world nowadays, and just because they may have believed "oh it wont happen to us" just goes to show that, well in this case, actually it did.

Its a lesson to us all, although I am fairly confident that nobody here would do something as stupid, its still important to remember that these things do happen, they happen everyday, everywhere. You cant just leave your children laying about...

Edited by Murphy575, 13 May 2007 - 12:10 PM.

[Insert Signature Here]

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

So now parents must have their kids strapped to them at all times.

People keep yelling that the good old days are just a myth. When I was a kid my folks shooed me out to play with the neighborhood kids, without worrying that some freak would come and snatch me up.

Tell me now they are just a myth...

A hundred yards, the length of a football field, and parents checking multiple times over the course of dinner...

May those that took her get what they have coming to them very, very soon.

and Shadowfire, and company - I am pretty sure that the parents are feeling all the guilt your little hearts require of them.

But pretty much every one thinks "It could never happen to me" - it's the most common mindset in the universe. And the most dangerous, but without it we all have been locked in crates until we were 25 or so and then let out only on leashes...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#8 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

you do make a very good point.

My mum tells me that her brothers would be let out for hours on end playing football (soccer) in the middle of the road sometimes, up the park etc. Her mum or dad never worried, they where told to come back for 6:00 (for dinner) and they would.

I wasn't saying that you should strap your kid to you, but I believe "nowadays" you should always have them in eyesight range, unless they are with their friends or something like that, then you can cut some slack.
[Insert Signature Here]

#9 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

View PostShalamar, on May 13 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

People keep yelling that the good old days are just a myth. When I was a kid my folks shooed me out to play with the neighborhood kids, without worrying that some freak would come and snatch me up.

A hundred yards, the length of a football field, and parents checking multiple times over the course of dinner...

and Shadowfire, and company - I am pretty sure that the parents are feeling all the guilt your little hearts require of them.

But pretty much every one thinks "It could never happen to me" - it's the most common mindset in the universe. And the most dangerous, but without it we all have been locked in crates until we were 25 or so and then let out only on leashes...

I don't care if they were were 100 yards or 1 yard away. You do not under any circumstance leave children alone in today's world. As for checking on them every 15 minutes... In 15 minutes a person can trip, bang their head and slip into a coma from concussion, sod knows how fast it would be for a little kid.

As was put so elegantly by my Aunt, "when you have kids your life is over for 18 years, you have a duty to protect children and they come before anything", you don't scoot off to a restaurant when the kids are asleep and alone.

If hopefully if Madeleine is still alive and is found safely, I hope someone has the balls to seriously question whether her parents should be allowed to have her back.

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:07 PM

Shooing kids out to play and leaving three children under the age of 4 alone in a strange environment are two entirely different things.

This was amongst the WORST that could happen.  But what about the 15 minutes of terror if one of the kids woke up while mom and dad were gone?  

In the other threads we're talking about abortion, parenting, saving the world...

Allow me to endorse wholeheartedly the concept of mandatory parenting class as a requisite for high school graduation.  We insist kids learn how to drive.  Why not insist kids learn how to parent?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

View PostShadowfire, on May 13 2007, 02:00 PM, said:

I don't care if they were were 100 yards or 1 yard away. You do not under any circumstance leave children alone in today's world. As for checking on them every 15 minutes... In 15 minutes a person can trip, bang their head and slip into a coma from concussion, sod knows how fast it would be for a little kid.

Damm I wonder how a husband or wife are suppose to work in this world. One fo them must be at school with the kid and when the kid walks into their bedroom it must be swept for bug and kidnappers. Oh wait the kid now sleeps in the bed damm guess the kid is going to be a only child.

In 15 min the greys could stop time beam in swipe the kid do the anal probe and drop the kid back inthe bed with mom and dad as it is no longer safe for them to actually be kids.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

View PostG1223, on May 13 2007, 08:55 PM, said:

Damm I wonder how a husband or wife are suppose to work in this world. One fo them must be at school with the kid and when the kid walks into their bedroom it must be swept for bug and kidnappers. Oh wait the kid now sleeps in the bed damm guess the kid is going to be a only child.

In 15 min the greys could stop time beam in swipe the kid do the anal probe and drop the kid back inthe bed with mom and dad as it is no longer safe for them to actually be kids.

I wrote out this long reply to you G, but then I changed my mind, I think I'll reply with, No Comment.

Edited by Shadowfire, 13 May 2007 - 03:06 PM.

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

View PostShadowfire, on May 13 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

I wrote out this long reply to you G, but then I changed my mind, I think I'll reply with, No Comment.

You seem to imply that the parents must be on guard 82/8 with I gather a leash and a gps tracking chip implanted in the child.

This is a sad thing a child kidnapped. But truth is they could have had a fenced in the backyard and the guy could have jumped it and been gone before they even turn around from putting food on the grill 20' away.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

View PostG1223, on May 13 2007, 09:10 PM, said:

View PostShadowfire, on May 13 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

You seem to imply that the parents must be on guard 82/8 with I gather a leash and a gps tracking chip implanted in the child.

Please don't twist what I say G, all I said was that parents need to watch their kids and place that care above their own desires.

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

View PostShalamar, on May 13 2007, 10:12 AM, said:

I wouldn't leave young sleeping children alone in a hotel room in another country, ever (or at home, for that matter). Small children shouldn't be left alone without an adult or a responsible babysitter.  Let's get real.

When I was 3, my mom took off to pick up my dad from his ship, which for some reason ended up in port in the wee hours of the morning. A neighbor was "listening" for me, and I still had time to wake up and believe I'd been abandoned. When my parents got home, I'd been crying for about 1/2 hour (I can still remember exactly what the chair I was sitting in looked like). I could just as easily have wandered out of our quarters and off somewhere. And my parents were conscientious people - my mom really believed the neighbor was watching me.

Small children should simply NEVER be left unattended.

And for those of you who keeping tossing in strawmen about welding your children to your hip, never working, putting chips in your kids,etc...are you REALLY telling me you would go off and leave your three very young children (3, 2 and 2!) alone in a hotel room?  :blink:  :wacko: I'd be nervous about leaving older children in a hotel room alone in a strange country.

These people went off and left THREE PRESCHOOLERS alone.

Edited by Rhea, 13 May 2007 - 06:04 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:35 AM

If they had wanted to have dinners alone they should have picked a hotel that had a child-minding service.  They are easy enough to find in Europe.

I'm not suggesting that they (or anyone) should have to watch their children all the time, but arrangements should be made to ensure that kids that young are being watched by someone responsible.  If that means have to shell out a bit more cash to stay at a different place, then that's what it means.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#17 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

They were 100 yards away.  It's not like they ran off across town.  Perhaps they should have been watching the door to their room better, but I'm not going to say they're unfit parents because they had dinner out of sight but within earshot of their children while checking them frequently.

Whoever kidnapped the child is to blame, not the parents
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#18 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:15 AM

While I have complete sympathy for the parents, they should have made better arrangments and had a childminder to watch the kids.

They are not unfit parents and I don't think the kids should be taken away from them.  But they did make a mistake and it was a situation that was completely avoidable had they taken different steps.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#19 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

Why's the reward for this one so high? Children go missing all the time and I don't hear about multimillion dollar/pound rewards... :unsure:

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#20 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:39 AM

*shrugs* you are right, but she was British, off British soil, I'm sure happens all the time, and you only even get to hear about it even, if the child has been missing for a week or something, then they show up at the end of the news for a few moments. This is a strange one, because the day she got kidnapped, that evening it was on the news, the next day it was all over the papers, and that's how it has been for the last two weeks...

Its weird I must admit...

It also happened with Sarah Payne, when her and her friend got kidnapped, that was all over the news right away...

I wonder what determines it..
[Insert Signature Here]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Children, Kidnapping, 2007, Madeleine McCann, Crime

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users