• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

link

In Aparecida and in major events earlier this week in Sao Paulo that attracted more than 1 million people, Benedict roundly denounced immorality in a bid to counter the a rising tide of Latin Americans flouting the church's prohibition on premarital sex and divorce.

It's good to finally have a pro-morality Pope.

I guess it's all in the definition.

#2 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

Pope Benedict Denounces Immorality
In other news: "Bugs Bunny declares fondness for carrots".

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

View PostHambil, on May 13 2007, 09:32 PM, said:

In Aparecida and in major events earlier this week in Sao Paulo that attracted more than 1 million people, Benedict roundly denounced immorality in a bid to counter the a rising tide of Latin Americans flouting the church's prohibition on premarital sex and divorce.

:rolleyes:

Pot, you have kettle on line 1. He wants to talk to you about blackness.

:headshake:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:11 AM

pre-marital sex is immoral :rolleyes: This is the kind of thing that just doesn't help.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:19 AM

Here we have the Pope expressing the long held opinion of the RCC. This is not like he is suddenly the first pope to say divorce is wrong and that good catholics should not do it.  The church has rules against pre marital sex. Look if your not catholic it should not matter and if you are catholic then either rules mean something or they do not.

What is the church suppose to do? Say nothing? That really makes behavior ones sees as being wrong stop almost immedatly. Just ask any parent. I am sure they will agree.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:40 AM

That's a fair point I suppose.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:41 AM

Yeah, I don't see how this is any different from what he usually says...
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

View PostJosh, on May 14 2007, 02:41 AM, said:

That was sort of my point. Re-read my first post and assume it's very sarcastic ;)

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:08 AM

View Postscherzo, on May 13 2007, 10:58 PM, said:

-scherzo

:D

"Bear Poops in Woods"
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#10 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

-scherzo

:lol: I couldn't possibly say it better myself ^

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

View PostSpectacles, on May 14 2007, 07:08 AM, said:

View Postscherzo, on May 13 2007, 10:58 PM, said:

-scherzo

:D

"Bear Poops in Woods"

Film at 11.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#12 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

I like a pope who takes risks.

I know it'll be controversial, but, a brave man welcomes that!  Immorality, you're on notice!  Lisentiousness, you're next!

Even if he gets a lot of flack for it, I'm hoping he'll also come out strongly against giving poison candy to nursery school kids.  This country needs guidance!

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

View PostG1223, on May 14 2007, 05:19 AM, said:

Here we have the Pope expressing the long held opinion of the RCC. This is not like he is suddenly the first pope to say divorce is wrong and that good catholics should not do it.  The church has rules against pre marital sex. Look if your not catholic it should not matter and if you are catholic then either rules mean something or they do not.

What is the church suppose to do? Say nothing? That really makes behavior ones sees as being wrong stop almost immedatly. Just ask any parent. I am sure they will agree.

As I've said countless times in the past-it's not just the message...it's the messenger, and the organization they're part of. I used to be Roman Catholic years ago. I have my reasons why I'm not now, and they are long and complex.

But I've already written about this here on this board to the point where many folks are probably sick and tired of hearing my rants, and would prefer I just shut the f**k up and go away. So-to those who haven't read my rants, do a search on Orbis Terrarum about my views on the subject. To those who aren't interested and who probably find me a bore-we'll just have to agree to disagree.

(shrug)

:eh:

Edited by Digital Man, 14 May 2007 - 10:23 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

Fine then what he says does not apply to you. But he is the leader of his faith. That means he has to say something about the behavior of his followers. Either to priase them for good works or speak out at behavior which by the tenats of his faith says is wrong.

If divorice is against the rules of his faith. Then he has to say something or lose the ground to say anything about it. Bendict is not the Pope who suddenly discovered that divorice and premerital sex are wrong. Or made it rule that it was wrong.

He is in a part of the world where the behavior of his followers has not been good. He says something to them while he is there. It is there his words will have more impact it alerts the followers to change their ways if they need to change.

It seems that because of other actions the Pope is not suppose to speak out on any topic. Which means if he spoke out and said that the Catholics of the world needed to do all they could to help bring long lasting peace to Dafur. It would be wrong? Or that his followers should do more to end famine in the world it would be wrong?

I thought we wanted world leaders to try and find a peaceful solution to Dafur or that we needed people to work to end hunger in the world?

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#15 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

The Pope can say whatever he wants. If people listen, great. It's just that a lot of people here don't put any weight to what he says because some in his heirarchy (even possibly himself) haven't always practiced what they preach. Yes, what he says may be true, but until the Church cleans its own house, it won't mean very much to a lot of people.

A thief can say it's wrong to steal, and that can be a valid and true statement. But the person saying it won't have any credibility because he steals.

#16 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

View PostHambil, on May 14 2007, 03:28 AM, said:

View PostJosh, on May 14 2007, 02:41 AM, said:

That was sort of my point. Re-read my first post and assume it's very sarcastic ;)

See what you've started.  Bad rodent.  Bad, bad, bad rodent.   :rolleyes:  :whistle:

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

View PostG1223, on May 14 2007, 01:04 PM, said:

It seems that because of other actions the Pope is not suppose to speak out on any topic. Which means if he spoke out and said that the Catholics of the world needed to do all they could to help bring long lasting peace to Dafur. It would be wrong? Or that his followers should do more to end famine in the world it would be wrong?

The Pope can say whatever the hell he wants. And I can laugh my ass off at him and his organization and give them both the Big Middle Finger™.

Posted Image

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

Like you would under any circumstances. But it does not make his statements invalid. Just because you do not like the church it does not mean that others cannot heed what he said.

TANSTAAFL

#19 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

View PostG1223, on May 14 2007, 06:27 PM, said:

Like you would under any circumstances.

True-but then again, I hate ALL religions. I make no distinctions. They are cancers on society, in my blunt opinion.

But it does not make his statements invalid.

And I'll say it yet again-for me, it's not just the message-it's the messenger as well, and the organization that person speaks for. Sorry-but you're not going to get me to budge on this. I'm just as stubborn as you are.

Just because you do not like the church it does not mean that others cannot heed what he said.

LMAO, most people wouldn't give an sh!t if I dropped dead tomorrow! People are gonna do what they want to do, regardless of what some insignificant loud-mouthed schmuck like myself has to say on ANYTHING.

Posted Image

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

I would care if you dropped dead tomorrow. No dropping dead, please.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Catholicism, Pope Benedict, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users