Obituaries Jerry Falwell 2007

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

The Rev. Jerry Falwell has died, a Liberty University executive said Tuesday. He was 73. Earlier today, Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of Falwell's Liberty University, had said Falwell was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but said Falwell had "a history of heart challenges."

I thought a tribute was in order.

'I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" - Rev. Jerry Falwell.

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals." - Rev. Jerry Falwell.

"It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening." - Rev. Jerry Falwell.

"The Bible is the inerrant ... word of the living God. It is absolutely infallible,without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as in areas such as geography, science, history, etc." - Rev. Jerry Falwell

"The ACLU is to Christians what the American Nazi party is to Jews." - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“Textbooks are Soviet propaganda” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“[homosexuals are] brute beasts...part of a vile and satanic system [that] will be utterly annihilated, and there will be a celebration in heaven.” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

We lost a great man today. A moment of silence please.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

Good.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

I noticed the air smelled better, and I thought we'd finally killed off Bin Laden.

Oh well, at least I was as close as possible.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#4 TravelerOfTheWays

TravelerOfTheWays

Botherbotherbother

• Islander
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

Well, I can't honestly say that I'm glad that he's dead or that I hope he's burning in hell.  But I guess I am glad that I won't be hearing any new quotes like these from him.
"The corollary, of course, is that a Western man who treats women like they're, you know, people has an absurdly easy time of things. It's like a sexy lady liquidation event. NO REASONABLE OFFER WILL BE REFUSED."

~Rov

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

And of course, there's Falwell's assessment of why 9/11 happened:

http://en.wikipedia....alwell#_note-19

"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

TravelerofTheWays: ...I am glad that I won't be hearing any new quotes like these from him.

Amen.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

Gee, I wonder what he did to piss god off?  

I mean, if hurricanes and tsunamis and terrorist attacks can all be blamed on god being pissed off at people like me, then clearly, his own cardiac arrest must be the result of god being pissed off at him.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

^  Erm...

yes a man with completely frelled up ideas but honestly isn't it just plain mean for meanness sake to celebrate his death?

Just sayin'....
Posted Image

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

In a word: no.  On top of his borderline genocidal rhetoric when it came to gays, this guy made a point of calling every natural disaster god's wrath on people like me (and I don't juts mean homosexual there, but secular, and feminist, too).  

So I don't feel the slightest bit mean for taking his own logic and applying it to his own, personal natural disaster.  You reap what you sew.

#9 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

Celebrating the death of a tyrant is an honored tradition. He may not have run any countries, but he has a tyrant none the less, and had he ever gained power he'd have done no different with it then Stalin or Pol Pot.

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Celebrating the death of a tyrant is an honored tradition.
  What Hambil Said.

#11 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 15 2007, 12:54 PM, said:

In a word: no.  On top of his borderline genocidal rhetoric when it came to gays, this guy made a point of calling every natural disaster god's wrath on people like me (and I don't juts mean homosexual there, but secular, and feminist, too).  

So I don't feel the slightest bit mean for taking his own logic and applying it to his own, personal natural disaster.  You reap what you sew.
Technically, you would want to iron what you sew, and reap what you sow (though I've heard irons work well on jiffy pop, which is, at some stage in the product cycle, reaped) ;)

Anyways,

Una Salus Lillius said:

yes a man with completely frelled up ideas but honestly isn't it just plain mean for meanness sake to celebrate his death?

Just sayin'....

Falwell was a clown, and a lot of people won't miss him.  If some folks get a bit of catharsis from celebratin' his death, let 'em have it.  In the long run, I don't think it'll help anything, but in the short term, it might help them blow off a bit of pent up anger.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#12 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

View PostHambil, on May 15 2007, 02:16 PM, said:

The Rev. Jerry Falwell has died, a Liberty University executive said Tuesday. He was 73. Earlier today, Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of Falwell's Liberty University, had said Falwell was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but said Falwell had "a history of heart challenges."

I thought a tribute was in order.

'I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" - Rev. Jerry Falwell.

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals." - Rev. Jerry Falwell.

"It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening." - Rev. Jerry Falwell.

"The Bible is the inerrant ... word of the living God. It is absolutely infallible,without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as in areas such as geography, science, history, etc." - Rev. Jerry Falwell

"The ACLU is to Christians what the American Nazi party is to Jews." - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“Textbooks are Soviet propaganda” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

“[homosexuals are] brute beasts...part of a vile and satanic system [that] will be utterly annihilated, and there will be a celebration in heaven.” - Rev. Jerry Falwell

We lost a great man today. A moment of silence please.

Amen Hambil, Amen!!
Can't Touch This!!

#13 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on May 15 2007, 11:46 AM, said:

^  Erm...

Just sayin'....

I agree with you, Lil. It comes across as mean and petty and many will take as much offense at that as some are about what he said. I didn't agree with the man, but he really had very little power (if any). Many things he said where just plain stupid. He did more damage to Christians than many others, but I won't dance on his grave.

Edited by Lover of Purple, 15 May 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#14 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 15 2007, 12:06 PM, said:

^  Erm...

Just sayin'....

I agree with you, Lil. It comes across as mean and petty and many will take as much offense at that as some are about what he said. I didn't agree with the man, but he really had very little power (if any).

What does it say about a person who "dances on another's grave"?
I'm supposed to pretend to be sad? Look, I wouldn't have wished the man dead, and I believe in his right to say whatever he wants, but I'm sure not going to morn his passing.

On the other hand, as an Atheist, he wished me dead many times over.

#15 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

View PostHambil, on May 15 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

View PostLover of Purple, on May 15 2007, 12:06 PM, said:

^  Erm...

Just sayin'....

I agree with you, Lil. It comes across as mean and petty and many will take as much offense at that as some are about what he said. I didn't agree with the man, but he really had very little power (if any).

I'm supposed to pretend to be sad? Look, I wouldn't have wished the man dead, and I believe in his right to say whatever he wants, but I'm sure not going to morn his passing.

On the other hand, as an Atheist, he wished me dead many times over.

And that is okay, Hambil that you aren't sad. It's the acting like it's party time that "feels" wrong. It makes the person doing it as bad as Falwell.

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 15 2007, 08:14 PM, said:

And that is okay, Hambil that you aren't sad. It's the acting like it's party time that "feels" wrong. It makes the person doing it as bad as Falwell.

To a point I agree with you. However I have to consider it a good thing that he's no longer spewing hatred into the world. It's not for me about celebrating his death, but about being glad that his particular form of virulent hatred has ended.

I'm in much the same places as Hambil. Jerry Falwell has blamed me, and people like me from everythign from societal ills, to being responsible for mass murder and moral decay.

Edited by Godeskian, 15 May 2007 - 02:18 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

View PostGodeskian, on May 15 2007, 12:17 PM, said:

View PostLover of Purple, on May 15 2007, 08:14 PM, said:

To a point I agree with you. However I have to consider it a good thing that he's no longer spewing hatred into the world. It's not for me about celebrating his death, but about being glad that his particular form of virulent hatred has ended.

Agreed.

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 15 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

^  Erm...

Just sayin'....

I agree with you, Lil. It comes across as mean and petty and many will take as much offense at that as some are about what he said. I didn't agree with the man, but he really had very little power (if any). Many things he said where just plain stupid. He did more damage to Christians than many others, but I won't dance on his grave.

Very little power?  This racist, homophobic misogynist was the spiritual leader of millions of americans.  GOP presidential candidates have sought his endorsement for decades -- even John McCain who famously called him an extremist in 2000 went to kiss his ring this year.  Why would he prostrate himself to a man with "very little power (if any)?  

And, Jid--Thanks for the correction.  :)

#19 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

I never heard of him.  Really.  The only person like him (I suppose) would be Jimmy Baker.  I have heard of him.

I was never really fond of "Bible pounders".  Being Christian, myself, I always felt that no religion should be imposed on others against their will.  To be religious, you have to want to be religious.  However, I do feel that morals (not religion, although they seem to get entangled a lot) should be taught, expected, and upheld in order to have a truly peaceful society.  Things like not killing, and not raping, not stealing, things like that.  Sorry for rambling.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

Good bye Rev. Falwell.  I do not think you were a man of God and think you were just as bad the people you were being critcal of and will not miss you.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Jerry Falwell, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users