298 replies to this topic

#261 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:44 PM

View PostSpidey, on May 16 2007, 07:54 PM, said:

View PostMuseZack, on May 16 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

One thing is certain.  We know Falwell's other great enemy isn't celebrating his death.

Posted Image

That's who he was!  I remember that.  He said that Tinky's triangular thing on top of his head was some symbol of gayness, and that he was the purple one, or something along those lines.  I found it amusing then, and do so now.  It was meant to be some serious statement, but turned out to be nothing but silly nonsense.

And that's when we first learned that purple is the official gay color. :trance:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#262 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:46 PM

View PostHambil, on May 17 2007, 05:39 PM, said:

Paragraph, wherefore art thou paragraph?

Isn't that distantly related to punctuation?  :lol:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#263 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

^Sort of :hehe:

#264 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Nittany Lioness posted an article which defended Falwell on the Tinky Winky thing.  I'm glad she did.  Regardless of what anyone ever thought of Falwell, or what anyone thinks of the gay rights issues, Jerry Falwell didn't manufacture the ideas of purple as the "gay" color or the triangle as the symbol of the gay rights movement.  

The gay rights/AIDS activist group ACT Up has a purplish pink triangle as their symbol - and during the height of the AIDS crisis, that symbol emerged as a militant effort on the part of this group to bring gay rights issues, and the lack of government action in the AIDS crisis to the forefront. http://www.actupny.org/

The ridiculousness of Falwell's position was the idea that there was a massive conspiracy to corrupt children through the Teletubbies (parents with less extreme views still had issues with the Teletubbies, disagreeing that this was reasonable educational programming).  It wasn't that he was wrong in identifying the symbols as those used by the gay rights movement.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#265 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 18 2007, 09:18 PM, said:

Tony Blankey is a right winger, but he's also a big queen.
Seriously?  I don't read his stuff, but I listen to Left, Right and Center, and lately I've been wondering if he's about to do an Arianna.   :cool:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#266 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Gingrich blabs again

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich told Liberty University's graduating class Saturday to honor the spirit of school founder Jerry Falwell by confronting "the growing culture of radical secularism" with Christian ideals....
How fitting that Newt Gingrich took Falwell's place.  He's an embarrassment to religion too.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#267 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:52 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on May 20 2007, 12:35 AM, said:

Jerry Falwell didn't manufacture the ideas of purple as the "gay" color or the triangle as the symbol of the gay rights movement.

You see, I never got that. Purple has been many things over the centuries. To declare it the 'gay' color seems awfully shortsighted. Same thing for triangles.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#268 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:42 AM

"...and who knew before then that gay people had an official color?"

Gays.  Since the '60's.  Sayville folks, at any rate.
Lavender, to be precise.  :p

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#269 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Well actually there is a basis for the triangle not linked to the activest community it is from wikipedia:

Tens of thousands were convicted between 1933 and 1944 and sent to camps for "rehabilitation," where they were identified by yellow armbands[3] and later pink triangles worn on the left side of the jacket and the right pant leg, which singled them out for sexual abuse.[66]
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#270 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

:D  Here's an interview with Tinky Winky post-Falwell's death:

http://www.salon.com.../falwell_tinky/
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#271 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on May 19 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

Nittany Lioness posted an article which defended Falwell on the Tinky Winky thing.  I'm glad she did.  Regardless of what anyone ever thought of Falwell, or what anyone thinks of the gay rights issues, Jerry Falwell didn't manufacture the ideas of purple as the "gay" color or the triangle as the symbol of the gay rights movement.  

The gay rights/AIDS activist group ACT Up has a purplish pink triangle as their symbol - and during the height of the AIDS crisis, that symbol emerged as a militant effort on the part of this group to bring gay rights issues, and the lack of government action in the AIDS crisis to the forefront. http://www.actupny.org/

The ridiculousness of Falwell's position was the idea that there was a massive conspiracy to corrupt children through the Teletubbies (parents with less extreme views still had issues with the Teletubbies, disagreeing that this was reasonable educational programming).  It wasn't that he was wrong in identifying the symbols as those used by the gay rights movement.

QT

True (though as an old lesbian myself, I always thought the color was lavender). And as G points out, the triangle was actually Hitler's invention; we just "reclaimed" it and redefined it--sort of using it as a symbol of our resilience instead of as its original intent, which was to brand us for annihilation.

But Falwell didn't connect all these dots himself. Evidently, a writer for the Washington Post had written a humorous piece identifying Tinky Winky as a gay fave not long before Falwell's magazine decided to sound the alarm about the Teletubbies' producers' evil intent to turn children gay.

Here's an article from the author of that WaPo piece, apologizing to Tinky Winky :):

http://www.salon.com...02/13newsb.html

I'm sorry, Tinky Winky
THE WRITER WHO OUTED THE "GAY" TELETUBBY IN THE WASHINGTON POST APOLOGIZES FOR BRINGING THE WRATH OF JERRY FALWELL UPON HIM.

BY MICHAEL COLTON | I'm sorry, Tinky Winky, I truly am. I should have respected your privacy, and kept your bedroom door shut. I shouldn't have exposed your purple, gay soul to an unfriendly world.

When noted God-lover and part-time cultural critic Rev. Jerry Falwell decided to target the hit children's show "Teletubbies" this week, for supposedly promoting a homosexual icon, I cringed. Then, like the rest of the country, I laughed. His main ammunition for the attack came from a joke in a story I wrote for the Washington Post, my former employer. Though I never intended to arm the religious right, Falwell's paranoia is oddly flattering.

In the February issue of his National Liberty Journal, Falwell alerts parents about the British show's gay agenda, citing circumstantial evidence for Tinky Winky's sexual preference.

"Furthering Tinky's 'outing,'" reads the journal, "was a recent Washington Post editorial that cast the character's photo opposite that of Ellen DeGeneres in an 'In/Out' column. This implies that Ellen is 'out' as the chief national gay representative, while Tinky Winky is the trendy 'in' celebrity." He also used the Post article to back his argument on "Today" Thursday morning.

The piece was not an editorial -- the Washington Post editorial board tends to ignore Ellen DeGeneres' hipness, or lack of it. It was the Post's Style section's annual In/Out list, which runs every Jan. 1 and gauges the culture from inside the Beltway.

When writing the list, I put Ellen and her girlfriend, actress Anne Heche, in the "Out" column, figuring that everyone had tired of the lesbian power couple. I considered using Rupert Everett as the corresponding "In" item. But then I remembered how Tinky Winky, because his size and voice are vaguely masculine and he often carries a red purse, had become a camp icon among gay viewers here and in Britain. (In fact, Salon's Joyce Millman had written about Tinky Winky's gay fans over a year ago.) Tinky Winky is obviously not homosexual, by any stretch of the imagination, but he possesses a few effeminate characteristics (he also likes to wear a tutu on occasion). It's amusing to label him gay simply because the idea of homosexuality -- or any sexuality -- is completely incomprehensible and irrelevant in Teletubbyland, an idyllic countryside populated by giant rabbits, a friendly vacuum cleaner and a sun with the face of a baby.

When my piece came out, E! Online picked up the story, saying the Washington Post had outed Tinky Winky by declaring him "in." I had assumed it was a commonly known joke. But the story didn't reach ridiculous proportions until this week, when Falwell stepped in, contributing his own evidence that Tinky's creators have fashioned a gay role model: His antenna is triangle-shaped -- the gay-pride symbol. And his skin is purple -- the gay-pride color. Barney the Dinosaur must be a raging queen.

:D

Gay folks tend to joke around by becoming fans of unlikely icons. (Falwell didn't understand that.) Tammy Faye Bakker, for instance, is beloved by many a drag queen. And speaking of drag queens, I knew one in Birmingham who used to drive all the way  to Selma just to shop at Anita Bryant's dress shop. :) Falwell could have chastized both of them--Tammy Faye for inspiring drag queens to use too much eye-liner and Anita Bryant for selling them dresses and, no doubt, accessories. :)

In my local region, there's a religious broadcasting channel. On it is a motherly woman name Arlene who has a cooking show. Cuisine Arlene relies primarily on lots of butter, enough to clog your arteries until Armageddon. And she's so sweet (if fanatically religious) that she's become an unintentional camp heroine to some local gay men who make a point to watch Arlene's Kitchen. If she only knew....:)

A big part of the humor resides in turning someone who is probably not gay, possibly downright homophobic, into a gay-friendly figure--sometimes even, for the sheer fun of it, reading into their behavior winks and nods to gay viewers.  So the whole "Tinky Winky is gay!" thing that Falwell hilariously took seriously had its roots in the subversive humor of the gay community. Falwell didn't get the joke.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#272 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

View PostNonny, on May 19 2007, 07:54 PM, said:

Seriously?  I don't read his stuff, but I listen to Left, Right and Center, and lately I've been wondering if he's about to do an Arianna.   :cool:

Nonny

Really?  I hadn't noticed--but I've been skipping the sunday morning shows (in favor of sleep) for quite some time.  When I *have* seen him, what I've noticed is -- Jesus, he lost a lot of weight.  And too fast.  All his skin is hangin'.  I wonder if he had a health scare (heart, maybe)?  

View PostNittany Lioness, on May 20 2007, 09:42 AM, said:

"...and who knew before then that gay people had an official color?"

Gays.  Since the '60's.  Sayville folks, at any rate.
Lavender, to be precise.  :p

Where the hell do you live????  (BTW, gays didn't bring Lavendar to Fire Island--We found it there.)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#273 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 20 2007, 10:19 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on May 19 2007, 07:54 PM, said:

Really?  I hadn't noticed--but I've been skipping the sunday morning shows (in favor of sleep) for quite some time.  
LRC is on on Sunday morning where you are?  Bummer!  It's my Friday afternoon treat.   :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

#274 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

View PostSpectacles, on May 20 2007, 07:32 AM, said:

:D  Here's an interview with Tinky Winky post-Falwell's death:

http://www.salon.com.../falwell_tinky/

Winky chuckles. "I must say, though," he says, "without getting into too many details, we had a girl in the group who ran around this kids show yelling, 'Cooter! Cooter!' And I'm the gay one? Do me a favor."
:lol:
Posted Image

#275 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

Where "the hell" do I live?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#276 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

OK, then don't tell me.  I had no idea you were from or familiar with Long Island (where I grew up), but I'm sure a reference to Sayville is a little obscure for the vast majority of people here, so as a Long Islander it caught me off guard.  Read hostility into it if you want.

#277 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

The cursin' and the quadruple question marks had me backing toward the nearest exit.  :D  And I couldn't figure out how my residence figured into the conversation.  ie. What the hell do you know, are you living on Neptune?!  :p
I'm a Keystone State gal.  I just googled 'gay pride color' or somesuch on a half-memory that I'd come across a mention of the free love era and the adoption of purple/pink/lavender/or rainbow.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#278 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

So you got Sayville from google?  That was the weird thing to me, because there really aren't that many more gays in Sayville than you would expect to find in any sizable burb town.  

The "gay connection" to Sayville is that it's where the Fire Island Ferries operate from (though only two towns out of, I think, six on FI are gay)...  which is why it hit me as a reference only a fellow Long Islander would make.

#279 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

Yea, in addition to the ferry necessarily porting there, a site explains that the Fire Island theatre workers would often live in Sayville and many of them were gay, then it became a "refuge" of sorts, then a "mecca", then gay male prostitutes became a bit of a staple with college students making steady cash with well-to-do Long Island gays, and eventually I think it talked about an original gay parade or festvial that utilized the town's "official" colors of purple and gold, and it went from there.  I don't have the link in my cache I viewed yesterday but this is pretty much it - http://www.geocities...mp/gayville.htm.  Don't know if all the details are absolutely accurate.  There's an Anderson book mentioned- "The History of the Rainbow Flag".  Check out the Oscar wilde pic! - I think that's Carson Kressley he's being cozy with.  Queer eye's aged well, then.  :p

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#280 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

The Penn State Nittany Lions play football beside the Nittany Mountain.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Jerry Falwell, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users