• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#281 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Well now I wouldn't count Paterno's '03 season.  That wasn't football; that was 11 players choking on pigskin.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#282 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

I haven't kept up since they abandoned us for the Big 11. Did see a game or two last year. I don't know how he got those Frosh to come in, but he got them, and if they have another good recruiting class, they should be back on top.
Can't Touch This!!

#283 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

Just a little follow-up...

Liberty University student found with explosive devices.

I still say a radical fundamentalist is a radical fundamentalist...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#284 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

View PostZwolf, on May 23 2007, 06:56 AM, said:

From the related article:

Some Republican figures were expected for the funeral, but none of the party's presidential candidates said they could attend. The White House was sending a midlevel aide...
Telling.   :rolleyes:

Other conservative leaders attending included... former U.S. Sen. George Allen; one-time Republican presidential candidate Gary Bauer
Leading the Nothing Left to Lose brigade, perhaps?  :suspect:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#285 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

View PostZwolf, on May 23 2007, 09:56 AM, said:

Cheers,

Zwolf

Yikes.

ABC News reported the youth told authorities he had made the bombs -- which were found in his car -- to stop protesters from disrupting Falwell's funeral. (Read the story about Falwell's funeral)

Of course, the only protesters I know of were the Phelps freaks. Good thing authorities stopped him or this could have set off our own homegrown version of the Sunni-Shiite sectarian violence. One crazy cultist blows up those who are defiling the memory of his "imam" and other crazy cultists retaliate....You know, we really *do* have fanatical elements in this country that aren't so different from the extremists we thumb our noses at.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#286 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

Ah, but these guys are Christians, so they can never be as bad as the Muslim fanatics.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#287 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

These type of people are NOT Christians, they only claim to be. Let's be clear, a Christian believes Christ is his savior and dedicates his life to try and live like Christ did. Jesus never planned attacks nor killed people. He spent his time with sinners telling them what they needed to know and healing them. Anyone who claims to be a Christian while planning terrorist activities is a hypocrite, let's not give them the privilage of being called a Christian. A "Radical Christian" would be a person who never does anything for themselves, only helps others and teaches them about Christ while increasing their own knowledge of the scriptures.

I am sick of people using these hypocrites as an excuse to verbally attack Christians.  :grr:

LoP

#288 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

I agree with ya, LoP.   My beef is not with average Christians, or average Muslims... those are just people I may not disagree with, but who I know have good intentions and are trying to do good things in the world.  

It's the radical fundamentalist strain that worry me, whatever their chosen religion may be.  Those are the kind who aren't about good works, but are about weilding power and controlling things.  They're not live-and-let-live.

And, yep, there's a large difference...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#289 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

View PostSpectacles, on May 23 2007, 10:30 AM, said:

View PostZwolf, on May 23 2007, 09:56 AM, said:

Cheers,

Zwolf

Yikes.

ABC News reported the youth told authorities he had made the bombs -- which were found in his car -- to stop protesters from disrupting Falwell's funeral. (Read the story about Falwell's funeral)

Of course, the only protesters I know of were the Phelps freaks. Good thing authorities stopped him or this could have set off our own homegrown version of the Sunni-Shiite sectarian violence. One crazy cultist blows up those who are defiling the memory of his "imam" and other crazy cultists retaliate....You know, we really *do* have fanatical elements in this country that aren't so different from the extremists we thumb our noses at.

To bad they caught him. We might have been rid of Phelps and his ilk. If we could get the fanatical elements in this country to fight, maybe they would leave the rest of us alone. A few well placed News Paper articles would probably start it.

. A "Radical Christian" would be a person who never does anything for themselves, only helps others and teaches them about Christ while increasing their own knowledge of the scriptures

I'm afraid the fanatics are the average. I know thousands of people who think of themselves as Christains, but onlt two who live it. Ones a close friend, and the other is a friend.
Can't Touch This!!

#290 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,325 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 23 2007, 10:42 AM, said:

These type of people are NOT Christians, they only claim to be. Let's be clear, a Christian believes Christ is his savior and dedicates his life to try and live like Christ did. Jesus never planned attacks nor killed people. He spent his time with sinners telling them what they needed to know and healing them. Anyone who claims to be a Christian while planning terrorist activities is a hypocrite, let's not give them the privilage of being called a Christian. A "Radical Christian" would be a person who never does anything for themselves, only helps others and teaches them about Christ while increasing their own knowledge of the scriptures.

I am sick of people using these hypocrites as an excuse to verbally attack Christians.  :grr:

LoP

Such a statement echoes what (apparently) 78% of Muslims in this country say about their extremist co-religionists.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#291 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 23 2007, 03:42 PM, said:

LoP

My apologies LoP, my comment was meant in sarcasm, not in serious.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#292 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:32 PM

View PostGodeskian, on May 23 2007, 10:13 AM, said:

View PostLover of Purple, on May 23 2007, 03:42 PM, said:

LoP

My apologies LoP, my comment was meant in sarcasm, not in serious.

We're cool. My apologize for getting uptight.

LoP

#293 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

LOP why feel bad about the uptight part.

We have people in this country who will fal allover themselves to avoid offending people of other faiths. We have had christmas lights and decorations banned from office buildings. Both public offices as well as private so we do not offend people.

The Private ones are done by corporate offices to try to be PC. Not a government policy.

So you were offended and wanted to speak out that is your right. We have the right to speak out. And maybe those pandering to avoid offending others might remember we are part of the place as well and give a bit of consideration to us.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#294 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

These are over the top action ultimately driven by a flawed belief system. Do you believe God is all power and infallible? Do you believe the bible is literal? Do you believe that homosexuality is wrong because the bible says so, yet conveniently forget that part where the bible says to give up all your money?

It's a badly flawed belief system that leads to flawed actions, sometimes big ones like crusades and witch burning and inquisitions, and sometimes medium sized ones like Falwell, and sometimes small ones like voting for a gay marriage ban, but they are all branches on the same rotten tree.

#295 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

View PostHambil, on May 23 2007, 03:43 PM, said:

These are over the top action ultimately driven by a flawed belief system. Do you believe God is all power and infallible? Do you believe the bible is literal? Do you believe that homosexuality is wrong because the bible says so, yet conveniently forget that part where the bible says to give up all your money?

It's a badly flawed belief system that leads to flawed actions, sometimes big ones like crusades and witch burning and inquisitions, and sometimes medium sized ones like Falwell, and sometimes small ones like voting for a gay marriage ban, but they are all branches on the same rotten tree.

With Top Hats, comes Wisdom.
Can't Touch This!!

#296 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

View PostHambil, on May 23 2007, 12:43 PM, said:

The Bible says 10% is returned to God, not all of your money.

LoP

Edited by Lover of Purple, 23 May 2007 - 04:14 PM.

#297 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 23 2007, 02:01 PM, said:

Matthew 19:21-24
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Luke 14:33
Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 6:19
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Money.

Let the rationalizations begin! I've even heard some say the 'eye of a needle' was the name for a tight passage to a well in Jerusalem, that it was hard for camels to pass through to drink, but not impossible. Yeah, sure, sure.

Perhaps when he said "Any of you who does not give up everything he has", he really meant to say "Any of you who does not give up 10% of what he has." :)

Edited by Hambil, 23 May 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#298 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

View PostLover of Purple, on May 23 2007, 05:01 PM, said:

View PostHambil, on May 23 2007, 12:43 PM, said:

LoP

Yeah, when I'm talking about Leviticus hypocrisy, I always focus in on the kosher laws because they leave very little wiggle room.  "Do you believe that homosexuality is wrong because the Bible says so yet conveniently forget the part where the Bible says don't have cheese on your turkey sandwich?"

Edited by ScottEVill, 23 May 2007 - 07:35 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#299 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Matthew 19:21-24
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Think about most rich people, especially in the time during which Jesus lived, they were greedy. The idea of sharing was anathema to them, if they shared their belongings there would be less for them and their families.  It was selfishness, so it is harder for a person with a lot to lose to give it up for something ethereal like the kingdom of heaven in the next life.  But it could be done, it's just harder.  

Even today what do we give rich people who hoard millions and billions in order to prompt them to donate?  Tax breaks.  You don't get to be that rich without having a greedy side, when you have more than you could ever possibly need, that's why people are giving people like Oprah and John Edwards such a hard time, sure they can talk about how important it is to give and help the poor.  And they speak from experience, having made their fortunes through hard work, but people can't help look at what you are doing versus what you are saying.  And I think they are entitled to every penny they earn plus they would lose a lot of their power without their wealth.  But they both know the value of helping others but all humans have a sense of self preservation that's helped us to survive.  Let the food run low and people will be eating each other like the Donner party.   It's overcoming your inner nature to hold true to the belief that makes it worthwile.

b]Luke 14:33[/b]
Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

Actually, if he's talking about his literal disciples that will travel from town to town with him spreading the word, this makes perfect sense.  Traveling money, plus they won't need the things anyway.  It doesn't mean every person in every town would give up everything because society would crumble.  

Matthew 6:19
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

It's basically saying not to hold things to the point you'll have more than you could ever use in this life.  Committing your heart to doing good works and living a godly life is securing a place in heaven, because this life is only temporary.   It's the ultimate savings account for retirement.

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Money.

Some people spend their entire lives aquiring money and measure their lives by how much of it they have.  Others try to live a life where their efforts are put forth in pursuit of spirital salvation, money is only a means to an end, a necessary tool for survival in this world.  Having  one dollar or a million the person is the same and enjoys it for what it does but it's not their all consuming passion.

Let the rationalizations begin! I've even heard some say the 'eye of a needle' was the name for a tight passage to a well in Jerusalem, that it was hard for camels to pass through to drink, but not impossible. Yeah, sure, sure.

Perhaps when he said "Any of you who does not give up everything he has", he really meant to say "Any of you who does not give up 10% of what he has." :)
And the 10% is to keep the church going and to help to spread the word to save souls.  

Of course, I don't believe any of it, just thought I'd try to rationalize it for fun.  LOL

Edited by Life for Rent, 23 May 2007 - 08:30 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Jerry Falwell, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users