• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

So round two is tonight.

It'll be interesting to see how Rudy does now that he's come out as unequivocally pro-choice.

And I bet Tommy Thompson goes to the bathroom *before* the debate. He blamed one of his poor answers during the last one on a compelling need to go to the john. :)

Edited by Spectacles, 15 May 2007 - 06:08 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Here's a link to a background article on Fox's website:

http://www.foxnews.c...,270812,00.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

Should be interesting to see which, if any of them, refuses to pander to Falwell.  Some of them have already released slobbering statements of what a great and wonderful man he was.  Yep--That should help them win the black vote.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

I wish the Dems and the Reps would get the same questions though.  So far, it ain't lookin' good... :(
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

^ Yep. McCain, in particular, sure has changed his tune from this in 2000...

Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether they be Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton on the left, or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell on the right.

...to heaping praise on Falwell today--not to mention giving the graduation address at Liberty University last year. Falwell sure showed McCain that pandering to "agents of intolerance" is a necessity in politics, didn't he?

I saw that Duncan Hunter was praising Falwell today, which sort of surprised me because Hunter, Giuliani and Paul seemed less-enthusiastic culture warriors than the rest of the candidates during the last debate. But evidently Hunter credits Falwell for helping him first win his seat back in the early 80s. Not that Falwell was influential or anything....

Aside from Falwell, I'm curious to see if anything new comes up in this one. The last one contained so much repetition of "life" "strong" "Reagan" etc. that I dozed off. They hit the cultural conservatism themes so hard--and that was in California. I can't imagine how they can avoid replaying the same stuff in South Carolina.

But I shall endeavor to stay awake.

I think the Republicans need a crazy ol' coot like Gravel to spice things up. :)

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:16 PM

View PostSpidey, on May 15 2007, 08:09 PM, said:

I wish the Dems and the Reps would get the same questions though.  So far, it ain't lookin' good... :(

I agree, Spidey. It's hard to do a good comparison otherwise.

It's possible that the Republicans focused so much on displaying their social conservative bona fides because Chris Matthews kept pushing in that direction. It'll be interesting to see how Britt Hume frames the questions.

Of course, on the other hand, social conservatism is important to Republican primary voters, so maybe the difference in questions results from the different priorities of likely Democratic and Republican primary voters....I don't know. Again, it will be interesting to see what Hume asks and how his questions compare with Matthews'.

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

This debate is coming to you from the Arts Center on my university's campus, so as you view the auditorium, the stage, and the exteriors, you can say confidently, "Cardie was here!"

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

Cool! :)

I heard that Rudy made a great showing??  What did he say?  I couldn't be in front of a tv yesterday, so I didn't see this one.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

Well, I dozed again--and I wish I hadn't. I was in and out, but what I saw was much better than the first debate, and I'll give props to the Fox panel for that. Hume, Wallace, and the other guy whose name I don't know all did a fine job of asking genuinely "fair and balanced" questions. They probed, held some feet to the fire, and were generally much more focused than Chris Matthews, who generally isn't focused at all. :)

McCain seemed less nervous. Romney was smooth as usual. Giuliani was quick on his feet.

There were several challenges from the second-tier candidates calling into question the real conservatism of the top three, and made for some interesting exchanges.

But not being a conservative Republican, I'm afraid I'm not overly impressed with the substance of any of their answers. And Ron Paul made some loopy charge that 9/11 happened in part because we bombed Iraq...which Giuliani batted down.

All distanced themselves from the former Republican Congress's straying from the principles of fiscal conservatism. Brownback got the biggest laugh when he said that Congress had spent more money than "John Edwards in a beauty shop."

Edited by Spectacles, 16 May 2007 - 09:55 AM.

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

View PostCardie, on May 15 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

This debate is coming to you from the Arts Center on my university's campus, so as you view the auditorium, the stage, and the exteriors, you can say confidently, "Cardie was here!"

Cardie

Thanks! I did that. :)

And that looks like a beautiful facility by the way.

#11 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the summary of the debate, Specs. I may watch the actual Presidential debates, but I'm not sure there's a point given that the answers are little more than sound bites. Also, the candidates in the debate are playing the political game, and their answers aren't necessarily indicative of what they'll do if they get into office. For example, in his debates, Bush said he was a uniter, not a divider. He also said that he was totally opposed to using US troops for nation building.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on May 16 2007, 08:49 AM, said:

Thanks for the summary of the debate, Specs. I may watch the actual Presidential debates, but I'm not sure there's a point given that the answers are little more than sound bites. Also, the candidates in the debate are playing the political game, and their answers aren't necessarily indicative of what they'll do if they get into office. For example, in his debates, Bush said he was a uniter, not a divider. He also said that he was totally opposed to using US troops for nation building.

But hey, that was before he was elected! :p It's a political shell game where you tell the chumps what they want to hear so that they don't notice what you're doing with those hands..... :wacko:

Besides, he managed to get elected twice, so there had to have been a few somebodys who were sure he was doing a GREAT job. ;)

Edited by Rhea, 16 May 2007 - 06:02 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

I watched my X-files and Angel DVDs. As such, I deem myself the clear winner of the night.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

View PostRobL, on May 16 2007, 07:25 PM, said:

I watched my X-files and Angel DVDs. As such, I deem myself the clear winner of the night.

:D

You gotta point there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, Republican Debate

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users