93 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/6663053.stm

But the Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt, has confirmed the Prince will not go with his regiment, the Blues and Royals.

The prince is "very disappointed" at the decision but will not be leaving the Army as a result, Clarence House said in a statement.

I'm dissapointed as well, I think the majority of the Brits who had some repect for his desire to honor his comission and go with his men are dissapointed.

In a statement, the general said: "Following a visit to Iraq last week I discovered a number of threats relating directly to Prince Harry and those around him and I am not prepared to export those risks.

Which is the reason they've been concerned all along unfortunately.

"I've asked his commanding officer to develop his future career but I won't speculate on that.
I'm not a military man, but I was under the impression that generally speaking promotions came from actually going out and soldiering.

He said "The point is the Chief of the General Staff, as the professional head of the Army and with responsibility for everyone in the Army, has responsibility for not just the Prince but every soldier and everyone, as we all know, is fundamentally equal.

Not surprising, but a shame.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

View PostGodeskian, on May 16 2007, 09:19 AM, said:

I'm not a military man, but I was under the impression that generally speaking promotions came from actually going out and soldiering.
Not if you're that well connected.  As a royal, he's a made man.  

Disappointing, but not surprising.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

^What Gode said, basically.

I can't honestly blame them, but I am disappointed :(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

You know...I'm having serious doubts about Britian's military force. I mean, those 15 soldiers just throw up their hands and surrender without putting up a fight, and now they allow threats to determine who they put in the field.

What's next? They going to withdraw completely if the terrorists threaten to kill the Queen if they don't leave immediately?

I mean they had a perfect opportunity to exploit the fact that Harry was going there, leave the info, capture of kill any who show up to kill Harry...but no, they were cowered into submission.

My GOD.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

And the US isn't allowing terrorist threats to impact how they deal with things at all are they? It hasn't remotely changed how tourists get into the country....

Besides, I'm sure the Army publicise ALL of their tactics and strategies to the rest of the world on a frequent basis, give everyone a full insight to their plans and workings.

Sparky

#6 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

This is pathetic! Harry obviously wants to serve so let him, its his choice to put his life on the line. I swear, grow his hair and beard out, dye them black, change his name to something common then get the bloody media to stop reporting his every action. No-one will know who he is!

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#7 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 16 2007, 09:28 AM, said:

You know...I'm having serious doubts about Britian's military force. I mean, those 15 soldiers just throw up their hands and surrender without putting up a fight, and now they allow threats to determine who they put in the field.

What's next? They going to withdraw completely if the terrorists threaten to kill the Queen if they don't leave immediately?

I mean they had a perfect opportunity to exploit the fact that Harry was going there, leave the info, capture of kill any who show up to kill Harry...but no, they were cowered into submission.

My GOD.

With all due respect.......

It would take more resorces to protect the young man, than would be justified. All he would be able to get was a glorified admin position in some camp somewhere. There is no way in hell they would put him in a combat situation where he could be captured, used for some kind of political spectical to embarrass the royal famliy, and ultimately killed.

Its not like he's some jetfighter jockey, safely living onboard an aircraft carrier, flying bombing missions or whatever. He would be on the ground, much more in harms way then his uncle was during the Falklands.

I can see where the Brits are comming from with this.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 16 2007, 01:40 PM, said:

And the US isn't allowing terrorist threats to impact how they deal with things at all are they? It hasn't remotely changed how tourists get into the country....

Besides, I'm sure the Army publicise ALL of their tactics and strategies to the rest of the world on a frequent basis, give everyone a full insight to their plans and workings.

Sparky

There is a difference in taking precautions, and being downright cowed into submission. And yeah, US soldiers have been captured...at least they put up a fight though.

And as for publicising military tatics...If the insurgents had targeted a specific US soldier, I'd be saying the same thing. Use him as bait. Carefully leak info on where the soldier was, or would be...and then sit back and capture or kill any who show up to try and kill the soldier...And nobody said that soldier would have to be there...just that word of where he was or would be would be leaked.

And I've yet to see the US tell the whole world, "Sorry but this person's life is more important than the other soldier's lives."

Which is EXACTLY what they have done with Harry.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

View PostRobL, on May 16 2007, 01:58 PM, said:

It would take more resorces to protect the young man, than would be justified. All he would be able to get was a glorified admin position in some camp somewhere. There is no way in hell they would put him in a combat situation where he could be captured, used for some kind of political spectical to embarrass the royal famliy, and ultimately killed.

Its not like he's some jetfighter jockey, safely living onboard an aircraft carrier, flying bombing missions or whatever. He would be on the ground, much more in harms way then his uncle was during the Falklands.

So it's like I said...as far as Britian is concerned...Harry's life is more important then the other soldiers...Guess the rule of animal farm are in full effect.

#10 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 16 2007, 10:01 AM, said:

So it's like I said...as far as Britian is concerned...Harry's life is more important then the other soldiers...Guess the rule of animal farm are in full effect.

Well, more important than the whole squad of security people (or more) that would have to be there with him, whereever he went.

You forget, its not like you or me going over there. He's got to have his own special security arrangements. Not any fault of his, its just becuase of who he is and what he represents.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 16 2007, 02:01 PM, said:

He's in to the throne if something should happen to William or Prince Charles he becomes king, that's makes him alittle more important than the other soldiers.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

I suspected this is what was going to happen, given all the publicity surrounding him going.  Why they didn't just pack him off for a tour and not tell anyone where he was is a bit of a mystery to me.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

Try imagining the president's son (if he has one) serving over there. Are you really blind to the obvious potential for danger to the entire troop someone that important is with?

It's got nothing to do with Animal Farm ethics and you know that.

Edited by SparkyCola, 16 May 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#14 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 16 2007, 06:28 PM, said:

My GOD.

Don't make the mistake of assuming the "frightened fifteen"; or for that matter political orders being shoved down the chain of command, are representitive of the bulk of British combat arms.

Coincidently, I do agree with you that it was an opportunity wasted- it would seem like a perfect way to thin out the insurgent ranks a little...

Edited by Talkie Toaster, 16 May 2007 - 02:28 PM.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

View PostRobL, on May 16 2007, 02:06 PM, said:

You forget, its not like you or me going over there. He's got to have his own special security arrangements. Not any fault of his, its just becuase of who he is and what he represents.

And that very argument is basically stating that his life IS more important then the other soldiers serving over there. How many of them have squads to guard them. Either they have faith and trust in their training or not.

Sorry, I just don't buy into the whole: "Harry is more important." line of thought...

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

View PostDWF, on May 16 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

He's in to the throne if something should happen to William or Prince Charles he becomes king, that's makes him alittle more important than the other soldiers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it Parliment and the PM that call the shots over there? Not the Monarchy.

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 16 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

Try imagining the president's son (if he has one) serving over there. Are you really blind to the obvious potential for danger to the entire troop someone that important is with?

It's got nothing to do with Animal Farm ethics and you know that.

Actually it does.

The whole concept of someone being more valuable, or more worthy of living, is directly involved with Animal Farm politics...and you know that.

And as for Bush, and any son's he had...That doesn't help your argument. Bush is a coward, always has been. I would expect the same from any offspring of his.

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

In American History We had a military Officer by the name of Theodore Roosvelt Jr. Who was kept out of direct combat operations because he was the Son of one President and the Cousin of the Sitting President at the time.

Harry sadly is the class of people who are not allowed into combet or dangerous areas because they are high value targets.

What would happen if he was kidnapped? A cry for war? Maybe or a call for another appeasement to the kidnappers. Killed either would get people ready to stop caring about what happened in Iraq till they felt apeased or a call for a massive withdraw immedatly.

Harry's life is not that good a risk to take no matter who the government is.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#19 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

I'm not that surprised: while some will claim that it's just the MOD playing favourites, putting the lives of the other solders in trouble for what would have been a PR stunt just isn't worth it.

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 16 2007, 06:28 PM, said:

I mean, those 15 soldiers just throw up their hands and surrender without putting up a fight
Because, as we've all said before, getting themselves killed and starting yet another war would have been a much better outcome to that situation.

Knock that off or I'm going to the mods.

At least our forces can tell the difference between friendly and hostile units, and don't hide behind their government when they screw up.
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#20 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

View PostG1223, on May 16 2007, 08:44 PM, said:

In American History We had a military Officer by the name of Theodore Roosvelt Jr. Who was kept out of direct combat operations because he was the Son of one President and the Cousin of the Sitting President at the time.
I thought that he hit the beaches on D-Day, or was that just written into The Longest Day?
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UK, Prince Harry, Iraq, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users