• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

View Postszhismine, on May 17 2007, 02:22 PM, said:

:huh: :rolleyes: now that seems a tad melodramatic to me.

How is it NOT caving in? They announce Harry was going to Iraq. Terrorists said if he comes we will try our best to kill or capture him. After that British Government announces that due to threats against Harry that Harry will not be going to Iraq.

Cowed, or caved in, seems to be putting what the British Government did mildly.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#62 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:19 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 17 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on May 16 2007, 09:17 PM, said:

It's both, but it's also for all of us.  Think about it: Harry in a hostage video: "get out of Iraq and give us nukes or we'll cut his head off and post it to the web."  That's a nightmare none of us should have to face--especially when making sure it doesn't happen (by not letting him go to Iraq) is so easy.

Ah....Gotcha. And if they capture any other normal British soldier, and show him, or her, in a hostage video and make the same demands...It's not important because it isn't Harry. Gotcha.

I guess myself and all those who think that Harry is more important then others will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm just happy that GOD in Heaven didn't hold this opinion when it came to Jesus. Could you imagine it if GOD turned and told everyone: "Nope, my Son can't come down to you...since there are those who are threatening to torture and kill him."
I respect your right to voice your opinion, and by the same measure I express my opinion that you're a jackass who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Maybe it's because America doesn't have a monarchy, you guys can't understand just how big a hit moral would take if William and/or Harry went over there and something happened to them. Hell, when Mountbatten (a relatively minor royal) was blown up by the IRA, it shook everyone.

That said, the IRA were made to understand that the Royals were not to be considered targets ever again...
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#63 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

View PostSinister Dexter, on May 17 2007, 03:19 PM, said:

I respect your right to voice your opinion, and by the same measure I express my opinion that you're a jackass who doesn't know what he's talking about.

If that's your opinion, by all means you should express it. I, OTOH, refuse to stoop to childish name calling. Not only does it violate the board guidelines, even when you disguise it as In My opinion...It serves no other purpose, other then insulting someone. It contributes nothing to the discussion at hand.

Maybe it's because America doesn't have a monarchy, you guys can't understand just how big a hit moral would take if William and/or Harry went over there and something happened to them. Hell, when Mountbatten (a relatively minor royal) was blown up by the IRA, it shook everyone.

I never said it wouldn't be a morale hit, only that Harry wasn't more worthy of life then other soldiers. The decision to not send him out of fear of his being a target is, IMO, a slap in the face of every British Soldier who gave their lives in this conflict, and tells their families that their lost loved ones weren't important. And I stand by that.

And if it is such a morale hit to have a royal killed, then why do they enter the military service? They have to KNOW that if in a combat situation they WILL BE considered targets. So why enter at all? Or is it all a PR thing? Enter the service with the expectation that they will never actually have to serve???

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 17 May 2007 - 04:52 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#64 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:40 PM

The decision to not send him out of fear of his being a target is a slap in the face of every British Soldier who gave their lives in this conflict, and tells their families that their lost loved ones weren't important. And I stand by that.

have other soldiers told you that? if it's your opinion don't present it as fact.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#65 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

SD, please keep your comments about post and not poster. This is a violation of the following guidelines:

1. Treat each other with civility and respect.

4. Express themselves without violating others' rights, including refraining from intimidating, insulting, baiting or trolling other posters. Members have a right to their opinions, but that doesn't mean that others are prohibited from disagreeing politely, even persistently, as long as criticisms are focused on the ideas being expressed rather than on the people expressing them.

Therefore this thread is now under discussion in the Staff Lounge.

Thanks,

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#66 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

View Postszhismine, on May 17 2007, 05:40 PM, said:

have other soldiers told you that? if it's your opinion don't present it as fact.

fair enough. I thought the way I expressed it was clear that it was my opinion.

#67 szhismine

szhismine

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

well you're hammering your point in over and over so it's starting to seem more like fact than opinion. same with your "giving in to the terrorists" comment earlier.
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#68 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:06 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 17 2007, 05:16 PM, said:

Just heard on the news that Harry will NOT be leaving the Army, like he had said he would if they refused to allow him to serve. So it looks like he was all talk anyway. Now I have to wonder if it wasn't him, and his family, behind the scenes all along?

Point of information. He never said he'd leave the army. His friends said he'd leave the army.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#69 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

^^^Hello! magazine says different.  (OK, I'll shut up now.)  :blush:

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#70 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 17 2007, 11:17 PM, said:

^^^Hello! magazine says different.  (OK, I'll shut up now.)  :blush:

?

Ah I could have sworn that it was only his friends saying it. In that case never mind. Far be it from me to argue with Hello magazine :p.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#71 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

*gasp*   You're not suggesting that Hello! makes sh*t up, are you?  Heaven forbid!

#72 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 17 2007, 11:36 PM, said:

*gasp*   You're not suggesting that Hello! makes sh*t up, are you?  Heaven forbid!

Suggesting it? heavens no, i'm saying it outright. Hello is a gutterpress magazine :p

Defy Gravity!

#73 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Noooooooo!!  How *dare* you, darling?!

#74 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 17 2007, 11:45 PM, said:

Noooooooo!!  How *dare* you, darling?!

:p I'm a wild and reckless man

Defy Gravity!

#75 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

View Postszhismine, on May 17 2007, 05:55 PM, said:

well you're hammering your point in over and over so it's starting to seem more like fact than opinion. same with your "giving in to the terrorists" comment earlier.

Again, fair enough. But, IMO, that is exactly what it is. Unless you can tell me what this situation is: Government says so and so is going to Iraq. Terrorists say that if that happens they will target and kill, or capture said person. After that, Government announces that so and so will NOT be going, because he is a target...

What exactly is that if NOT giving in?

Or say you say: "I think I'll take vacation in NC." and I turn around and say: "If you do, I will target you." and then you turn around and say: "Since I will be targeted, I'm not taking vacation in NC" Wouldn't that be "giving in" or caving in?

#76 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 17 2007, 06:52 PM, said:

Or say you say: "I think I'll take vacation in NC." and I turn around and say: "If you do, I will target you." and then you turn around and say: "Since I will be targeted, I'm not taking vacation in NC" Wouldn't that be "giving in" or caving in?

It sounds like common sense to me.  ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#77 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

^^^Indeed.  And he's "forgetting" that Harry is not you or I.  His capture or murder could sway the course of the entire conflict -- and not for the better.  There's no good reason to take that risk.

#78 szhismine

szhismine

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

^^ i was gonna say common sense too.

#79 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 18 2007, 12:07 AM, said:

^^^Indeed.  And he's "forgetting" that Harry is not you or I.  His capture or murder could sway the course of the entire conflict -- and not for the better.  There's no good reason to take that risk.

And yet that will always be the risk, no matter where he would be deployed. Andrew faced the same thing in the Falklands, but it didn't stop him from going. Hell, the Argentinians designated his entire Carrier (the Invincible) a priority target because he was on it, but he still went.

Defy Gravity!

#80 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

View Postszhismine, on May 17 2007, 07:11 PM, said:

^^ i was gonna say common sense too.

You can't be serious? You would let someone who threatened you change your plans? Basically cower you into doing something else out of fear?

I guess my attitude is different. If I wanted to go somewhere, say to NY...And someone said: "If you go I will target you." My response: "Bring it b*tch!" And it would be on. I can't see letting myself be cowered into submission like that. Cause once you give in like that, it'll never stop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UK, Prince Harry, Iraq, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users