• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

While Harry's life isn't worth any more or less than any other 2nd Lieutenant, no other 2nd Lieutenant (William is a Cornet) is 3rd in line to the Throne, and thus he has a higher PR value to the insurgents.

Sending him out there would be just handing them a a massive target and saying “Happy hunting!”
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#82 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

And so, no "touch of Harry in the night?" But then he's not going after the Crown of France.
Funny coincidence in names.

#83 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 18 2007, 03:57 AM, said:

View Postszhismine, on May 17 2007, 07:11 PM, said:

^^ i was gonna say common sense too.

You can't be serious? You would let someone who threatened you change your plans? Basically cower you into doing something else out of fear?

i believe it depends on the situation, and the threat, and whether or not i think that threat is threatening enough. thanks for making it sound like i'm a coward though.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#84 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:18 AM

View Postszhismine, on May 18 2007, 11:30 AM, said:

i believe it depends on the situation, and the threat, and whether or not i think that threat is threatening enough. thanks for making it sound like i'm a coward though.

That's not what I meant. And it wasn't my intention to put you in that light.

I just can't see myself being cowered like that. Cause to me, if I gave in like that then I might as well just go to that person and become their slave. Cause if I give in to their threats now, it'll never end. But that is just me.

Having said that, now I have to take a step back somewhat. Was talking with a friend about this, and I used the example I posted above. Then my friend said: "Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But what if it wasn't you they threatened? What if you had a child, and someone threatened their life if you went to where ever. Harry and Willian are like Britian's golden children."

Now I have to admit, in that situation I might not go. While I would welcome any challenge directed at me, can't see myself taking the chance with a loved one. So yeah, I might be cowered at that point. But at least I'm honest enough to call it what it is...being cowered.

Of course, though...if that was the case. My change in plans just might be to go to wherever the person who made the threats was, and TEACH them the error of their ways.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#85 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

I'd like to think that if a specific threat had been made against any UK soldier before they had been deployed they wouldn't be.

Edited by FlatlandDan, 18 May 2007 - 11:26 AM.

My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#86 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 18 2007, 10:18 AM, said:

View Postszhismine, on May 18 2007, 11:30 AM, said:

That's not what I meant. And it wasn't my intention to put you in that light.

I just can't see myself being cowered like that. Cause to me, if I gave in like that then I might as well just go to that person and become their slave. Cause if I give in to their threats now, it'll never end. But that is just me.

Having said that, now I have to take a step back somewhat. Was talking with a friend about this, and I used the example I posted above. Then my friend said: "Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But what if it wasn't you they threatened? What if you had a child, and someone threatened their life if you went to where ever. Harry and Willian are like Britian's golden children."

Now I have to admit, in that situation I might not go. While I would welcome any challenge directed at me, can't see myself taking the chance with a loved one. So yeah, I might be cowered at that point. But at least I'm honest enough to call it what it is...being cowered.

Of course, though...if that was the case. My change in plans just might be to go to wherever the person who made the threats was, and TEACH them the error of their ways.

I think it's kind of funny that you're taking the same stance that Bush did about Iraq and the war on terrorism--that "yielding" or "changing your mind" is a sign of weakness and that it cannot be tolerated. If you know anything at all about history, this kind of pride (really, this kind of hubris is probably more precise) is exactly the reasons why some wars start for no apparent reason other than somebody's feelings had been hurt--because that's what it is. In a blase attempt to cover up feelings of inadequacy, one must prove one's manhood and do violence even if it is completely unwarranted and totally unnecessary.

Have you ever actually considered *why* they don't want to send Harry or are you just leaping to conclusions that changing one's mind based on evidence and logic is cowardice?
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#87 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

View PostSinister Dexter, on May 17 2007, 08:19 PM, said:

I respect your right to voice your opinion, and by the same measure I express my opinion that you're a jackass who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Due to the above quoted comment ^ the OT mods have decided to issue a warning for a breach of the aforementioned Guidelines:

1. Treat each other with civility and respect.

4. Express themselves without violating others' rights, including refraining from intimidating, insulting, baiting or trolling other posters. Members have a right to their opinions, but that doesn't mean that others are prohibited from disagreeing politely, even persistently, as long as criticisms are focused on the ideas being expressed rather than on the people expressing them.

Please remember that personally insulting another member on this board is a violation of the guidelines and will result in a warning. Opinions can just as easily be expressed politely and with a focus on the post, not the poster.

If anyone would like to discuss this warning, please start a topic in the AQG rather than discussing it in this thread.

Thank You,

SparkyCola

Edited by SparkyCola, 18 May 2007 - 04:34 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#88 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

View PostPallas, on May 18 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

Have you ever actually considered *why* they don't want to send Harry or are you just leaping to conclusions that changing one's mind based on evidence and logic is cowardice?

I can understand their not wanting him to go. I can understand that. But my point is: If you announce that Harry is going, then the terrorists say: "If he comes, we'll try and kill him." Then all of a sudden you announce: "Due to his being a target he isn't going."

What does that tell the terrorists? IMO it tells them they have cowered you. That you'll do what they want as long as you don't harm them.

Also. Yeah, they don't want him to go because he will be a high priority target...Didn't they realize that before he went into the army? They had to KNOW if deployed he would be a target...so why the act of surprise? And if they KNEW he would be a target, why even let him go into the army to begin with? Unless they planned on having him enlist, knowing full well they'd never let him actually serve.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#89 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 18 2007, 04:08 PM, said:

Unless they planned on having him enlist, knowing full well they'd never let him actually serve.
He can serve in the military without going to Iraq. In fact, he's doing so right now. My father served in WWII, but never left the United States.

Edited by Hambil, 18 May 2007 - 06:25 PM.

#90 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

No one hs never said “If you send Rifleman John Smith to Iraq, we will do everything we can to capture/kill him, no mater how many of us have to die, or how many of his fellow solders we have to kill in the process. (insert rhetoric as needed), love and kisses, the insurgents.

The fact that they named him and started handing out what amounted to a wanted poster with his photo on it tells us that he would be a high-risk target and that anyone around him would be put in even greater danger than they normally are. I'm not saying that it's a walk in the park over there, but I have family serving in the army and I wouldn't want any of them put in jeopardy just because Harry's serving at the same base if there was not good reason.

We have troops deployed elsewhere, and there's no reason that Harry can't see active duty somewhere, but sending him to a country where people have prepared a, shall we say, “rather warm reception for him” would be the truly stupid thing to do.

Anything happened to William or Harry, there would be one of two results: one, it crushes the moral of the British Army, and two it enrages them to the point where they engage on a massive killing spree, shooting at anything that move in a bid to get revenge.

They've done it in the past (the senior IRA commanders found shot execution style in the Irish Republic after Mountbatten's death are a testament to that), and the negative way that it would impact what we're trying to do over there would only increase the PR effect for the insurgents.

If Harry wants to serve, let him; but don't turn him into a incident waiting to happen.
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?

#91 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 18 2007, 05:08 PM, said:

View PostPallas, on May 18 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

I can understand their not wanting him to go. I can understand that. But my point is: If you announce that Harry is going, then the terrorists say: "If he comes, we'll try and kill him." Then all of a sudden you announce: "Due to his being a target he isn't going."

What does that tell the terrorists? IMO it tells them they have cowered you. That you'll do what they want as long as you don't harm them.

Also. Yeah, they don't want him to go because he will be a high priority target...Didn't they realize that before he went into the army? They had to KNOW if deployed he would be a target...so why the act of surprise? And if they KNEW he would be a target, why even let him go into the army to begin with? Unless they planned on having him enlist, knowing full well they'd never let him actually serve.

*sighs* Announcing it was a mistake. We all know this because it gave incentive to the terrorists to specifically target Prince Harry (although I am not saying that if they had not announced it that the terrorists wouldn't have found out anyway and made him a target) to the point where they were making him a HIGH PRIORITY target. So, to correct this mistake, his military superiors decided not to deploy him.

This makes perfect sense to me. It was an action based on intelligence that indicated that the Prince was in greater-than-usual danger because of who he was and it was not worth the risk. It was not worth risking Harry's life, the life of his comrades who would certainly become collateral damage in the attempt to kidnap/capture Harry and it was not worth the loss of morale that Sinister Dexter point out so well.

Incidentally--I don't see the connection between Harry as a target and his decision to enlist. Two separate issues here. Harry as a soldier who deliberately gets deployed into a war-zone where he is a high-priority target has nothing to do with his decision to enlist. I'm damn sure that the members of the Royal Family have served in wars before or have been members of the military without having seen actual combat.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#92 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

Oh, I think he was *expected* to go to Sandhurst.  They both were.  There wasn't a choice, exactly.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#93 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

View PostScottEVill, on May 19 2007, 01:32 AM, said:

Oh, I think he was *expected* to go to Sandhurst.  They both were.  There wasn't a choice, exactly.
I don't think Edward ever served in any branch of the military.

#94 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

I'm sure he was expected to go, too...  but he's been a nonconformist in other ways, too, hasn't he?

Hm...  A quick google confirms that he *did* go, but left the military after one year:

Prince Edward joined the Royal Marines in 1986, but left the next year and joined Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Theatre Company as a production assistant.

No wonder people think he's the gay one :)

Edited by ScottEVill, 18 May 2007 - 07:47 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UK, Prince Harry, Iraq, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users