• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

link

Mice with deep skin wounds can grow new hair, scientists said on Wednesday in a finding that offers hope for a baldness remedy for humans.

The mice regenerated hair at the site of the wound via molecular processes similar to those used in embryonic development, according to the research, published in the journal Nature.

Dormant embryonic molecular pathways were activated, sending stem cells -- master cells able to transform into other cell types -- to the damaged skin.

The stem cells that gave rise to the regenerated follicles were not stem cells usually associated with hair-follicle development.
A cure for baldness from stem cells? Well, that's a death knell to the resistance to stem cell research. :p

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

Baldness *is* the cure -- for bad hair.  At least, it was in my case.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

I still say that's Christopher Lowell sans the permanent smile.  You sure you don't have a flair for design and a bevy of books under your belt?    :artist:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

I *do* have a flair for design, just not the *same* flair... He's into that whole "fabrics are the answer for everything" deal.  I'm more of a ... frankly, masculine... kind of guy.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

Why is it no one saw my thread about this in exploring the universe :( I feel hard done bby

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, Stem Cells, Baldness, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users