Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Very Exciting Possible 3rd Party Bid

Election 2008 Michael Bloomberg 3rd Party Candidate NYC Mayor

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg seems to be considering an independent, self-financed bid for the Presidency in '08.

Third-party White House bid could shake up race

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent Fri May 18, 1:13 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In an unpredictable 2008 presidential race, the prospect of a viable third-party candidacy -- particularly a self-financed bid by billionaire Michael Bloomberg -- could be the biggest wild card of all.

Reports that Bloomberg, New York's Republican mayor, is willing to spend a big chunk of his personal fortune -- perhaps as much as $1 billion -- on a White House run set off a new round of speculation about his intentions and his possible impact on the November 2008 election.

The speculation was egged on by Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska, a conservative Republican and Iraq war opponent who also is considering an independent bid and had dinner with Bloomberg recently.

"It's a great country to think about -- a New York boy and a Nebraska boy to be teamed up leading this nation," Hagel said earlier this week on CBS.

A third-party bid would hope to take advantage of public discontent with the Republican and Democratic parties, which already has led 60,000 people to sign up for an Internet-based movement aimed at fielding a bipartisan independent ticket in 2008.

The Unity '08 effort, led by a group of veteran political strategists from both parties, was inspired by the idea that both parties are dominated by their most extreme elements and a majority of Americans are looking for a centrist approach.

OK - Mayor Bloomberg would get my vote no matter what ticket he ran on.  I absolutely adore him.  And - I really  really really like the sound of rthis Unity '08 effort, and am off to do more research.  Here's their site:

http://www.unity08.com/

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

I've been following the speculation for some time.  I'm not sure I like the sound of Hagel on the ticket (that's news to me), but if Bloomberg ran, he'd almost certainly get my vote, too.  

He's the only Republican I've ever voted for, and I've only occasionally regretted it -- usually on the subject of gay marriage.  (A lot of people think he *is* gay, you know that, right?)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Yes - I've heard the rumors.  

Mayor Bloomberg is an effective politician, and I don't believe he's been wrong on Gay rights issues. Whether he is a homosexual or not hasn't got anything to do with it (see my opinion on behavior versus people. ;) and my firm belief that everyone gets to work on him or herself the best way they can...)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hey, anybody who wants to waste a bazillion of his own dollars splintering the GOP is okay by me.   :rolleyes:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:09 PM

I actually hadn't even gotten around to thinking about him as a spoiler--I just think he'd be really good at the job... despite being wrong on gay marriage.  

But being a spoiler would be good, too.  

I guess I just think that, if he decides to spend a billion dollars, he'll probably end up being president.  And that wouldn't be so bad.  In fact, it would be a lot of what we need right now.

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

You know, I'm so disgusted with the whole political machine that I could care less about Bloomberg. Outside of Bush f**king up the country, I've pretty much tuned out from the Dems  AND Republicans. There is SO MUCH bullsh!t going around that I truly can't trust ANY of them.

I don't think I've ever been more apathetic to politicians of all stripes than I am now. I seriously wonder sometimes if voting is worth it any more. :glare:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:34 AM

^^^If Bloomberg did this, he'd leave the GOP to do it -- He'd run as an independant.

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

Bloomberg can kiss my blooming a$$.  I can not stand that man.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#9 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

I'm not voting for a republican, or former republican. Maybe if we didn't have as strong a democratic field - but we do. There are at least three dems running I'd be happy with as president - Hillary, Obama, and Edwards. I see no reason to give another republican another chance to screw things up when I've got good democrats to choose from.

I am glad he'll be fracturing the republican party though. Welcome to our world of 2000/2004 ala Ralph Nader.

#10 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:55 AM

View PostHambil, on May 18 2007, 10:43 PM, said:

I'm not voting for a republican, or former republican.

See, that's one of the things where we are different.  Don't get me wrong, I like ya Hambil, but I don't look as "Oh, forget him, he's a Republican."  Or, "Ew, I am not voting for some liberal Democrat".  I look at the individual and try to see if he/she is the right fit for the job.  What are their views, and so forth.

Maybe if we didn't have as strong a democratic field - but we do. There are at least three dems running I'd be happy with as president - Hillary, Obama, and Edwards. I see no reason to give another republican another chance to screw things up when I've got good democrats to choose from.

The only Dem I'd be comfortable with is Edwards.  Hillary is simply pure evil, and Obama just knows how to smile, and make promises.

I am glad he'll be fracturing the republican party though. Welcome to our world of 2000/2004 ala Ralph Nader.

Yes, having more choices is nice, but not when it is all seemingly not very good choices.

It would be nice to get a little comic relief and have Ross Perot run again.  :D  Okay, maybe not.
Posted Image

#11 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:59 AM

View PostSpidey, on May 18 2007, 10:55 PM, said:

It would be nice to get a little comic relief and have Ross Perot run again.  :D  Okay, maybe not.
"I'm all ears"

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:30 AM

View PostHambil, on May 18 2007, 10:59 PM, said:

View PostSpidey, on May 18 2007, 10:55 PM, said:

"I'm all ears"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:49 AM

^  :D

Hey, Perot was a scary dude in some ways, but I have to give him credit for educating us all about the dangers of running high deficits.  Remember his charts and his pointer? He sort of popped into our living rooms like a jug-eared econ teacher. AND he was successful in getting most of us to understand the need to balance the budget. He basically had that one drum and he banged hell out of it. As a result, I think he had an impact (though I feared if he won that he'd have us all goosestepping and heiling his picture in public squares.)

I don't know a thing about Bloomberg, but I do like Hagel. Unlike Perot, these guys are practiced, successful politicians, so I bet that if they do this, they'll do it pretty well. And I do think the country is a mood to be receptive to a third party, especially a centrist one.

Both Bloomberg and Hagel are Republicans, but they actually have a lot of crossover appeal to centrist Democrats, and the Democrats have worked hard to cultivate a centrist base ever since 1992. So if Bloomberg and Hagel get this campaign off the ground, I can see it pulling votes from *both* parties.

But I'm all for it. I think that both parties could use some outside competition. It may work to keep them honest(er) in some ways.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#14 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

Mayor Bloomberg built accountability into a sprawling city government (keep in mind that NYC is more populous than some states, and as such, has a bunch of government agencies to keep the city working and supporting its people), laid off a bunch of folks to streamline city government, and bring fiscal responsibility and accountability to city government, ended social promotion, even against the wishes of the predominantly democrat United Federation of Teachers, and build the 311 center - which put the entirety of city government at the fingertips of all city residents (an underappreciated stroke of brilliance).  He's put in place a planning process to ensure that the city is ready for the next 30 years (http://www.nyc.gov/h...home/home.shtml) - a plan created in conjunction with the people of the City of New York - and which is entirely visionary - in that it is rare for governments to deal effectively with future issues - preferring instead to deal with present concern (of which there are plenty) - whereas this plan puts current planning in context of a sustainable city mission.  Etc.

I would LOVE to see the Bloomberg treatment of the entire country - to see effective management brought forward to all of the country, to create mechanisms whereby unifying the country is not just platitudinous, but actually meaningfully built into the infrastructure of the country, etc...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#15 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

I'd be open to the possibility of voting third party. I don't really know alot about Bloomberg but I know I like Hagel
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

View PostHambil, on May 19 2007, 01:43 AM, said:

I'm not voting for a republican, or former republican.

Remember, Bloomberg switched parties to run for mayor.  He was a lifelong Democrat.  

Party affiliation has never been an ideological thing for him.  It's pragmatic: he had a better chance of winning if he switched, so he did so.

Actually, Giuliani did the same--Difference there being, the new affiliation suited him.  Either he drank the kool-aid, or he realized GOP was just a much better fit for him.  (Much like the Neocons before him, actually.)  

But Bloomberg is a pragmatist to his core.  Not an ideological cell in his body.  

Maybe if we didn't have as strong a democratic field - but we do. There are at least three dems running I'd be happy with as president - Hillary, Obama, and Edwards.

I have yet to understand what people see in Edwards.  With Obama, at least I understand it--I'm just not sure I think there's a there there.  

Between Hillary and Bloomberg, I think I'd probably vote for Bloomberg (though much would depend on the campaign, of course).  

If Gore got into it, I'd have a really hard time choosing...  

Though I have to say, if we can somehow get a qualified candidate who is *not* a slick and/or rich Southern white man in the Oval Office, I'll be very happy, indeed.

#17 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

View PostSpidey, on May 18 2007, 11:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

Wow! Looks like he might have had a stroke at one time.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on May 19 2007, 11:30 AM, said:

Mayor Bloomberg built accountability into a sprawling city government (keep in mind that NYC is more populous than some states, and as such, has a bunch of government agencies to keep the city working and supporting its people), laid off a bunch of folks to streamline city government, and bring fiscal responsibility and accountability to city government, ended social promotion, even against the wishes of the predominantly democrat United Federation of Teachers, and build the 311 center - which put the entirety of city government at the fingertips of all city residents (an underappreciated stroke of brilliance).  He's put in place a planning process to ensure that the city is ready for the next 30 years (http://www.nyc.gov/h...home/home.shtml) - a plan created in conjunction with the people of the City of New York - and which is entirely visionary - in that it is rare for governments to deal effectively with future issues - preferring instead to deal with present concern (of which there are plenty) - whereas this plan puts current planning in context of a sustainable city mission.  Etc.

I would LOVE to see the Bloomberg treatment of the entire country - to see effective management brought forward to all of the country, to create mechanisms whereby unifying the country is not just platitudinous, but actually meaningfully built into the infrastructure of the country, etc...

QT

Wow. He sounds impressive ideed.

Scott: But Bloomberg is a pragmatist to his core. Not an ideological cell in his body.

Good....I think the same is true of Hagel, which is why I like him. Hagel had the cojones to speak out against the Iraq War when most of the partisan GOP were still praising the Emperor's latest outfit. And, this is a personally quirky thing, but I tend to respect  people who don't smile unless they see a damned good reason to smile. Hagel's not afraid to stand there and look like a sourpuss. I honestly don't know if I've *ever* seen Hagel smile come to think of it....McCain, on the other hand, seems to have a string tied 'round his finger to remind him to smile--whether he ought to or not. ("I'll chase Osama to the gates of HELL!!!" *twinkly smile*)

I wish them luck and will be interested to see where this goes. Having them in the race will make the 08 campaign much more interesting, that's for sure.

Hambil: I'm not voting for a republican, or former republican. Maybe if we didn't have as strong a democratic field - but we do. There are at least three dems running I'd be happy with as president - Hillary, Obama, and Edwards. I see no reason to give another republican another chance to screw things up when I've got good democrats to choose from.

I can honestly see where you're coming from Hambil. I do think the Democratic field is strong. But I guess I'm inclined to give props to Bloomberg and Hagel for disassociating themselves from the Republican party. Either could have run on the GOP ticket. But these days unless you're an Iraq War cheerleader or a theocrat, it doesn't look like there's much support in the remnants of the GOP for you. If the GOP doesn't moderate and come down to earth, two leading Republicans running as Independents may be just the beginning of some major defections.

Edited by Spectacles, 19 May 2007 - 11:40 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#19 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

View PostScottEVill, on May 19 2007, 09:01 AM, said:

I have yet to understand what people see in Edwards.
I guess it depends on whether you believe what you see, or not. I do. So, taken at face value Edwards is a self-made man who spent his life defending the defenseless. A man who loves his wife and family. A man who believes in a better America. He is the closest we are going to get this election cycle to someone who supports gay marriage. He calls it "the single hardest social issue for me personally", and though he currently is still taking the civil union cop-out I think he will take a stand eventually, and I am confident what that stand will be.

Don't get me wrong, and 99% sure Hillary supports gay marriage, perhaps even more so than the other candidates. But I think Edwards and Obama's struggle with the issue is at least more genuine. It bothers me, a lot, that Hillary won't come out and just say she supports gay marriage when I'm pretty sure she does.

To me, gay marriage is the touch stone of American politics right now. A candidates character and worthiness can be judged by where they stand on this issue. That alone should tell you no republican is getting my vote. So, as for my 'not looking for the best man for the job', because I said I would never vote republican, that's not exactly true. Show me a republican candidate for President in 2008 who supports gay marriage, and I'm there.

#20 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

Hambil: Show me a republican candidate for President in 2008 who supports gay marriage, and I'm there.

I don't care what he says; in his heart of hearts, I bet Rudy does. The guy's a social liberal--which is something I like about him but he's going to have a helluva time winning the Republican nomination if the rank-and-file figure that out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, Michael Bloomberg, 3rd Party Candidate, NYC Mayor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users