11 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Democrats say they will end abstinence-only funding

WASHINGTON Congressional Democrats say they will pull the plug on abstinence-only sex education when a $50 million grant expires on June 30, a move sparking outrage among social conservative groups.
Good!  

Democrats would still include money for abstinence teachings in schools, but would combine it with comprehensive sex-ed programs that would teach about birth control and other safe sex methods.
Naturally the abstinence only folks are already spinning this out of control.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

I believe in abstinence as the only 100% preventative of pregnancy or STDs, but I also think that not teaching how to best protect themselves should they decide to become sexually active is incredibly stupid.

People need to get their head out of the sand-as much as we would like our children to abstain from sex until they're older, it's just not gonna happen.

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

YAY!  Abstinence would certainly be the surest way to avoid pregnancy and STD's, but I would far rather our kids learned about birth control (especially condoms) so that if they ARE sexually active they know how to protect themselves.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

DAMN! Now teenagers are going to know about sex.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

I just want to say that when I saw this:

Attached File  q1.gif   822bytes   13 downloads

I thought the Democrats would be ending abstinence-on-demand. Rather an interesting project, I thought.

#6 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

funny how neither is really effective....as my years in school observing the idiots in my class proved.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#7 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

If we really want to save our kids trauma we should be teaching them how to have good sex, not just safe sex.

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:18 AM

About time. Teaching abstinence only is a horrific failure to teach children about the real world of sex. Yes, abstinence should be part of the education, but it should never have been the sum total of it.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:13 AM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on May 20 2007, 02:39 AM, said:

:eek3:

Seriously, my thoughts as well.

We breath air, the sky is blue, gravity works and teenagers have sex no matter how much that freaks some folks out. If they didn't this would be a much more lonely planet.

I sometimes wonder if the onther species that share this planet with us laugh at the way we humans are terrified of our own reproduction....

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 20 May 2007 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

View PostCheile, on May 19 2007, 11:22 PM, said:

funny how neither is really effective....as my years in school observing the idiots in my class proved.

Cheile pretty much nailed it. Henceforth, we're gonna see more "oops" babies, teen moms/parents who in many cases won't be able to juggle the burden of baby/work/school.  :rolleyes:

In other words-business as usual. :p :sarcasm:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on May 19 2007, 10:39 PM, said:

I'm turning 42 this year, and I'm still a virgin. The risks simply are too high. It's one thing to fantasize about girls-but quite another when things go wrong while you do the nasty. As QT aptly put it-you have to realize that no matter what precautions you take, there's always a chance that birth control will fail, and that a life can result.

Of course, there are sexual interactions that don't involve the joining of the male and female sex organs, but one still has to deal with STDs.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

View PostenTranced, on May 20 2007, 12:13 PM, said:

We breath air, the sky is blue, gravity works and teenagers have sex no matter how much that freaks some folks out. If they didn't this would be a much more lonely planet.

Earth being a "much more lonely planet" may not necessarily be a bad thing, given how overpopulated it's getting. I wonder what would be the breaking point, in terms of overpopulation of the Earth by humans. What are we at now-8 billion folks on the Earth?

Edited by Digital Man, 20 May 2007 - 11:48 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: House of Representatives, Democrats, End Funding, 2007, Abstinence only

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users