Bush Administration United Nations Iraq Assistance 2007

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

Sounds logical to me, but I don't know how well this will set with Bush's base. It's certainly a change of tune from what Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld were whistling back in 2003:

http://www.guardian....2085981,00.html

*If* the information in this article is accurate, it does look like the Bush Administration is finally--behind the scenes--looking for a way out of Iraq, or at least a way to share the burden.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

I doubt the UN will step in now. They let it go for so long before the war that I can't see them getting involved now.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

They are looking around for people to blame later.  They are spreading the 'plausible deniablity around' so they can leave office and pretend it's not their fault.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

Petty maybe, but I could see the UN turning round and saying "Well, you went in without us, you can get out of it without us."

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

Interesting....From the article:

Four years after bypassing a hostile security council, the Bush administration is expected to take the Iraq question back to the UN at the annual opening of the general assembly in September.

So...September is the deadline that's been floated a lot. Late August/early September is when Petraeus is to make his report to Congress. September is when moderate Republicans have warned Bush that they'll join forces with the Democrats if the surge isn't working. And now we hear that Bush is going to address the UN in September concerning Iraq.

The article also points out that a "second surge" is in the pipeline. But that Bush may "sweeten the pill" by rolling out this plan to internationalize the effort and step up diplomacy. In a way, it looks like Bush is going to implement the suggestions of the Iraq Study Group's report--the one that the propagandists like Limbaugh and Glenn Beck ridiculed as so much sissified "appeasement" back in December when it came out.

It could be that Bush is going to try to buy more time by saying, "hey. look, this isn't going so well, but now we REALLY have a plan and we're going to pursue diplomacy and recruit international efforts to stabilize Iraq."

Might work. As much as most Americans think this war was the biggest, damned-stupid thing our country has done, we also worry about leaving Iraq in a mess. Bush just might be able to keep the country on board--oddly enough by sounding like John Kerry, who wanted to internationalize the effort in Iraq in 2004.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

View PostGodeskian, on May 23 2007, 05:19 PM, said:

Petty maybe, but I could see the UN turning round and saying "Well, you went in without us, you can get out of it without us."

:D  Did you read what the French official said in the article?

#7 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

European policy in general - and French policy in particular - is mostly rational. If the US goes to the UN and agrees to start acting in concordance with its allies in Europe, without fake arguments and on a realistic basis, they would of course get their cooperation. No one in Europe is interested in a Middle East in disarray. The reason why most Europeans were opposed to it was because, the way the plans looked like,  the present situation was clearly to be seen from the start.

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

View PostSpectacles, on May 23 2007, 10:34 PM, said:

:D  Did you read what the French official said in the article?

:D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

ilexx: No one in Europe is interested in a Middle East in disarray.

Makes perfect sense. It's in no one's interest for that region to go up in smoke. I'm glad to see there's some indication that the Bush Administration is beginning to rediscover the virtues of multilateralism. :)

Also, I just stumbled across this, which seems to be related. Petraeus and Crocker have devised a plan for us to negotiate with the insurgents in Iraq:

http://www.cnn.com/P...insurgents.html

U.S. may negotiate with Iraqi insurgents

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. officials said Wednesday that a "joint campaign plan redesign team" is preparing a new diplomatic and military strategy for Iraq, which is expected to be approved by the end of the month.

The team, led by Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker, is laying out a new course for how to proceed in the four-year-old war, the officials told CNN.

One element of the plan is to try to identify groups of people -- including possibly Sunni extremists and militia groups -- with whom U.S. officials feel they can do business, such as negotiating power-sharing and cease-fire agreements and granting economic aid, the sources said.

No suicide bombers need apply however.

"We have been focused too long on defeating the enemy," one official said. "We need to bring them to the negotiating table."

The announcement is an acknowledgment that the traditional war-fighting stance of trying to capture or kill all insurgents is failing, that the country may have devolved into a civil war, and that the only way to proceed is to use military force sparingly and attempt to bring many insurgents into the fold.

So it's looking like a lot of suggestions that the Bush Administration has rejected for four years--possibly because they don't play well to the hard right--may finally be implemented. I just hope something works....

#10 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

^Amen to that! At least they're starting with something that looks like a strategy of some sort. Just hope that it's not too little too late.

#11 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

You know, I actually find this whole concept amusing after having spent the last half decade hearing about how useless the UN is, to find Bush now wanting to go, hat in hand to the UN and ask for help.

Defy Gravity!

#12 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

^Yes, the irony isn't lost on me, either. Especially since I stated on various threads already that in the end this is what will happen - recieving mostly smirks. I know "Told ya'!" is a petty attitude on such a serious matter, but it sure feels good... :D

Anyway, that's beside the point. What matters really is to find an acceptable and more successful solution. We can return to the blame game later.

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

View Postilexx, on May 23 2007, 11:58 PM, said:

Anyway, that's beside the point. What matters really is to find an acceptable and more successful solution. We can return to the blame game later.

See that's the thing. Unlike you I'm not hopefull that such a thing can be found. An acceptable and more succesfull solution suggests that there is actually a way to affect a long term social, economic and govermental change to Iraq to make it a better place, and I"m just not sure we can do that given the resources turned towards making it happen.

Defy Gravity!

#14 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

I'm not hopeful. I just dread the alternatives.

#15 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

I likewise dread the alternatives, but I don't see the UN letting Bush off too easily. He's going to have to eat a lot of humble pie before they agree to step in. the US (and to a lesser extent, the UK) burned a lot of bridges that will need to be rebuilt before we see blue and white tanks in Iraq.

That's if France, Russia and China don't veto it...
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#16 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

I also don't see the UN - well, really France, China and Russia - let them off the hook easily. But share the spoils and they'll come around.

#17 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

umm, there have been several attempts to negotiate with various Sunni and Shia insurgent groups since at least 2004. The fact of negotiations isn't in any way new . They're what led to Al-Sadr's group getting seats in the Iraqi Parliment for one thing. Maybe these will work better than those attempts did.
Bush already went to the UN back in 2005 I believe it was asking for peacekeepers from India for example and was refused by the member nations that would have provided them. I don't see this as fundamentally different from what was tried then with no success.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

We requested Indian peackeepers but we didn't go through the UN, which is why India refused:

http://news.bbc.co.u...sia/3063465.stm

As to negotiating with insurgent groups, yes, we've done it in the past, and Al Sadr is a good example. (Of course, the results haven't been so good.) But evidently, General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker intend to renew and expand those efforts as part of their "joint campaign plan redesign team." Calling it a "campaign plan redesign" indicates that they're revising their tactics.

Granted, this may just be more window-dressing, but I tend to have some confidence in Petraeus. Counter-insurgency is his specialty, and I suspect that working out deals with insurgents to bring them on board is part of it.

#19 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

I think the underlying assumption that the international community is falling over themselves to offer aid is hilarious and a bit pathetic. The Bush Administration (and a fair many numbers of Americans) have shown nothing but utter contempt for the United Nations and its practices but now in an desperate attempt to save itself, the Administration turns to the UN, which should have been the primary recourse in the first place.

I honestly have no idea how this would even pan out. Who would want to send troops to Iraq now given the circumstances, the bloodshed and general craziness? Of course, this is setting up for more future UN-bashings. Send troops in under a Chapter VI and people will complain that the UN does nothing. Do it under C. VII and the UN is too aggressive.

I also don't like the implicit threat against Ban Ki-Moon that he owes his job to the US--no Secretary-General should be beholden to any world leader like that, least of all George W. Bush.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

I would then say those gentle words of.

"By the way it was your resoultion we went in to defend. But hey if you are going to make up papers that do not mean anything we can just stop comming to you."

"Well then here are your parking tickets fines and warrents for breaking our laws. And a bill for back rent on the building you are squatting in."   Then look at them and say. "What did the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush Administration, United Nations, Iraq Assistance, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users