• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

link

he execution team stuck Christopher Newton at least 10 times with needles Thursday to insert the shunts where the chemicals are injected.

He died at 11:53 a.m., nearly two hours after the scheduled start of his execution at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility. The process typically takes about 20 minutes.
Looks folks, when my cat can be put down in 30 secs with one peaceful sigh, it's time to admit that a thirty year old three drug solution has got to go. I'm not against capitol punishment, but, I am against this.

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

Actually I have no real problem with the method used. I have reservations about being sure only the guilty get the needle. If you wanted to put them under and harvest all their viable organs I would go for it.

But once you are past innocence and or guilt unless you want to present evidence of where the convict might be innocent I really do not want to waste the courts time.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

It seems off to me that it's possible to come up with a way to put an animal to sleep peacefully but they still use this other method with humans.  I mean is it "part" of the punishment that they have to be so damned barbaric and middle ages about it?

Lil
Posted Image

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Because laws are slow in changing. Also the anti-death crowd would go on about how a fast means of killing the subject would increase how often it was applied.

So if it is too long they complain and if it's too fast they complain.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#5 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:13 PM

View PostG1223, on May 25 2007, 07:19 PM, said:

Because laws are slow in changing. Also the anti-death crowd would go on about how a fast means of killing the subject would increase how often it was applied.

So if it is too long they complain and if it's too fast they complain.
I've never heard of someone complaining the lethal injection method used or proposed is too fast. Can you site source?

#6 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

I've had a several of my old dogs who were put "to sleep", and the experience was dreadful, prolonged and obviously painful to the animal.  Sometimes things just don't go the way they should.  Could be the veins collapsed, could be due to dehydration, could be just a fluke.  But not all animals go down peacefully.

Having had my blood drawn many times, I've had technicians who were gentle and there was little to no pain involved.  I've also experienced technicians who were clumsy, rough, made the experience thoroughly unpleasant and left a large buise at the needle site.  Not every technician is adept at drawing blood -- or maybe they were having a bad day and you took the brunt of their lack of talent or sour mood.

Therefore, it could be  the condemned prisoner experienced a not-by-the-text-book execution for many reasons.  I listened to a discussion about the most humane way to execute a prisoner.  The conclusion was that death by firing squad was quick, painless and relatively inexpensive.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

I said that if it was fast. That the anti-death crowd would raise hell with claims that it was going to cause a speed up of the death penalty being carried out.

TANSTAAFL

#8 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:24 AM

View PostEnkephalen, on May 25 2007, 09:45 PM, said:

Having had my blood drawn many times, I've had technicians who were gentle and there was little to no pain involved.  I've also experienced technicians who were clumsy, rough, made the experience thoroughly unpleasant and left a large buise at the needle site.  Not every technician is adept at drawing blood -- or maybe they were having a bad day and you took the brunt of their lack of talent or sour mood.

this is true.  my mom had to stop donating blood a few years back because three separate times she went to do it and she had the worst people....one caused some good sized bruises because they literally dug around in her arm to "find" a vein....tho they're very visible...her skin has thinned since she's gotten older so they're quite obviously THERE.   :rolleyes:

so sounds like incompetent injectors to me.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#9 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

View PostG1223, on May 25 2007, 10:18 PM, said:

I said that if it was fast. That the anti-death crowd would raise hell with claims that it was going to cause a speed up of the death penalty being carried out.
So, you're speculating on how you think the 'anti-death crowd' will react. In other words, you made it up.

Edited by Hambil, 26 May 2007 - 12:31 AM.

#10 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Lethal Injection=not cruel enough, and shouldn't be unusual, but rare.  I personally don't give a rats a$$ how much a killer suffers.  Gernerally speaking, a killer still outlived his victim(s).  He took away a life or lives that he had no right to do so.  A killer denies all mercy from his victims, which is why I really don't see why this is such a big issue.  I just don't care if it takes a disgusting creature 3 hours to die, it will never equal the pain and suffering he inflicted on others.  Yeah, I know, killing a killer won't bring the victims back, but at least this way, it is a guarantee he will never hurt anyone ever again.

If lethal injection is such an issue, there's always good ole' fashioned stoning, or for those who seek more instant gratification, a firing squad can take care of that.

I don't want to sound like a mean, heartless person.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't want anyone to be hurt.  But at the same time, it has always bothered me when people worry more for the killer/criminal than they do for the victims/families.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#11 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:04 AM

^ indeed.  then again i've had people tell me i shouldn't thik that hanging Saddam is too easy a death.

i think one family member from each of his victims should get a shot.  they can hit him anywhere but in vital areas.  the last person gets to shoot him between the eyes and end it.

murderers should suffer like their victims imnsho.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

View PostCheile, on May 25 2007, 11:04 PM, said:

^ indeed.  then again i've had people tell me i shouldn't thik that hanging Saddam is too easy a death.

i think one family member from each of his victims should get a shot.  they can hit him anywhere but in vital areas.  the last person gets to shoot him between the eyes and end it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:07 AM

View PostCheile, on May 26 2007, 07:04 AM, said:

And if we make them suffer like their victims do, what exactly makes us better than them?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

That is why I simply want them dead. No long wait. Just as reasonably quick as possible. I am for letting them have as many appeals as they want over the question of the person being innocent.

But after seeing the anti-death crowd do back flips to keep John Wayne Gacy from being put to death. Not because they thought he was innocent but becuase they tried so many times and in different way to say method of injections was cruel and unusal and then that it was going to put him to death was wrong. And then ANYTHING to prevent his death. And this is what i expect if we had a instand kill shot.Call it speculation but it s based on their past actions. Which is one of the few ways to predict behavior. That or a time machine and I do not have one.

The basic fact that at least 20 men had been killed by this moster seemed unimportant or unworthy of consideration by these people.

TANSTAAFL

#15 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

View PostG1223, on May 26 2007, 09:12 AM, said:

And then ANYTHING to prevent his death.
At least they aren't blowing up abortion clinics. I don't agree with these people, but they aren't the only 'anit-death' nuts out there. They're just the ones you don't agree with.

Edited by Hambil, 26 May 2007 - 11:24 AM.

#16 jodihopper

jodihopper

chubby little hopping mouse

• Islander
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

Most forms of lethal injection actually cause the victim to suffocate to death (by paralysing the heart and lungs).  Suffocation is a very painful experience and it takes a while to accomplish.  Personally I find this to cruel and unusual.

But since there is no copious quantity of blood, no spasming body, no singed flesh--it is humane for the witnesses.

#17 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

View PostGodeskian, on May 26 2007, 01:07 AM, said:

And if we make them suffer like their victims do, what exactly makes us better than them?

um it's called proper justice?  why should there be any "better than them" about it?

if someone i loved had been slowly murdered, and their killer was sentenced to death row and then given the lethal injection, i don't think i would take much comfort in knowing they were just given a few shots of drugs that stopped their heart--therefore an easy, quick death.  why should they get a quick death when their victims got a slow one?  sorry that doesn't add up.

Edited by Cheile, 26 May 2007 - 01:28 PM.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#18 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:49 PM

View PostCheile, on May 25 2007, 11:24 PM, said:

so sounds like incompetent injectors to me.

That was my thought upon  hearing about this.

he got someone who obviously did not know or was not skilled at doing their job as far as finding veins.

Or there could have been other problems too as mentioned.

As to method---
lethal injection is much kinder when done right than the electric chair or the gas chamber or hanging.

I'm one of the undecided on the death penalty.  It depends on the case, the evidence, the convicted themselves.  And, of course, the absolute certainty of guilt.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#19 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

As some one who has both drawn blood / set IV's and had it done to me - It's not as easy as it looks, and  there are so many factors that it's impossible to say what went wrong with out having been there.

If they are having doctors put in the IV, I can tell you thats a strike in the wrong right there - doctors doen't have enough practise - get a good plebotic tech or better yet a life flight trauma nurse - getting an IV into a screaming, writhing, strung out junky while having to hold him down in mid flight - and siad flight is going through a thunder storm - there's some one who won't botch it!

I don't remember the exact combo of drugs they use in lethal injections - and too uninterested at the moment to google it- but I know that standard vetrinarian "pink juice" is quite quickly lethal to animals when given in the proper dose. But I have a feeling that those who object to to the dealth penality might say that it is a painful experience - I don't, after several years experience, believe it is painful to animals but thats just my experience.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#20 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

View PostShalamar, on May 26 2007, 01:47 PM, said:

As some one who has both drawn blood / set IV's and had it done to me - It's not as easy as it looks, and  there are so many factors that it's impossible to say what went wrong with out having been there.

If they are having doctors put in the IV, I can tell you thats a strike in the wrong right there - doctors doen't have enough practise - get a good plebotic tech or better yet a life flight trauma nurse - getting an IV into a screaming, writhing, strung out junky while having to hold him down in mid flight - and siad flight is going through a thunder storm - there's some one who won't botch it!

I don't remember the exact combo of drugs they use in lethal injections - and too uninterested at the moment to google it- but I know that standard vetrinarian "pink juice" is quite quickly lethal to animals when given in the proper dose. But I have a feeling that those who object to to the dealth penality might say that it is a painful experience - I don't, after several years experience, believe it is painful to animals but thats just my experience.
My understanding is that the vet uses something equivalently to a heroin overdose. Cat goes to it's happy place, and then doesn't come back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Death Penalty, Lethal Injection, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users