#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:10 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/6699847.stm

Not sure where to start on this one

A Dutch TV station says it will go ahead with a programme in which a terminally ill woman selects one of three patients to receive her kidneys.

"For years and years we have had problems in the Netherlands with organ donations and especially kidney donations," said Alexander Pechtold of D-66, the Dutch social liberal party.

"You can have a discussion about if this is distasteful, but finally we have a public debate," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

You know, I consider myself pretty bloody blase, but I had a genuine WTF moment when I saw this.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

:barf:

Distasteful. Actually quite a big understatement huh?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

I heard about this when BBC was playing on National Public Radio this morning. One of the folks behind this said they were doing this to "promote awareness". Take that for what it's worth.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

It never fails....Just when I think I've seen the lowest levels some people will go to....Some idiots manage to sink to a whole new level.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

This is ....disgusting
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

#6 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 29 2007, 03:11 AM, said:

:barf:

Distasteful. Actually quite a big understatement huh?

Sparky

View PostLord of the Sword, on May 30 2007, 09:59 AM, said:

It never fails....Just when I think I've seen the lowest levels some people will go to....Some idiots manage to sink to a whole new level.

View PostWhite Tiger, on May 30 2007, 11:25 AM, said:

This is ....disgusting

I'm failing to understand your guy's reasoning about this. It's her parts, she can decide what she wants done with them. If she wants to sell them off so her heirs can get some cash, then so much the better. Its sort of like abortion - its a personal choice. It's my choice that all my parts go with me when I die. It should be her choice to decide to sell them off or whatever.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#7 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Can she make them do stuff like eat worms and cover themselves in bees?

#8 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

View PostHambil, on May 31 2007, 05:33 PM, said:

Can she make them do stuff like eat worms and cover themselves in bees?

I would suppose so, but other than her own personal entertianment, I don't see much the point.  :unsure:

I'd just be inclined to sell them off to the highest bidder.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

What bothers me is that those who enter and win may not even be able to use the kidney - there MUST be donor - recepient compatability. How horrible to be dieing, on the list, and to enter this contest, have your hopes raised and then be told that the match isn't there.

How horribly cruel.

I wonder if this so "generous" woman has even considered what she may be doing to others in terms of emotional harm.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:34 AM

View PostShalamar, on Jun 1 2007, 04:27 AM, said:

What bothers me is that those who enter and win may not even be able to use the kidney - there MUST be donor - recepient compatability. How horrible to be dieing, on the list, and to enter this contest, have your hopes raised and then be told that the match isn't there.

Point of information, all candidates were matched for compatibility. The dutch may have a very disturbing sense of entertainment, but they aren't stupid. All three of the candidates will be able to receive the donor kidney.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:03 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 1 2007, 12:34 AM, said:

All three of the candidates will be able to receive the donor kidney.
Actually, only one will be able to receive it. But I'm sure the other two get lovely parting gifts.

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:19 AM

View PostHambil, on Jun 1 2007, 09:03 AM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Jun 1 2007, 12:34 AM, said:

All three of the candidates will be able to receive the donor kidney.
Actually, only one will be able to receive it. But I'm sure the other two get lovely parting gifts.

I meant in terms of biological compatibility.

Defy Gravity!

#13 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:15 AM

View PostShalamar, on May 31 2007, 08:27 PM, said:

And along those lines, what about the cruelty of having the knowledge that you could have saved your own life if only you had won the contest? It would be horrible to be dying and know that, if you hadn't tripped on that last challenge, you could still have your whole life ahead of you.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#14 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:38 PM

View PostRaina, on Jun 1 2007, 02:15 AM, said:

if you hadn't tripped on that last challenge, you could still have your whole life ahead of you.
Sounds like reality to me. A game show, or looking both ways before crossing the road. You always trip on the last challenge just before you stop having your whole life ahead of you.

Edited by Hambil, 01 June 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#15 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

If you want to put it callously ^
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

I can't imagine they would put these people on TV without checking for donor compatability. What would be the point?  :blink:

That said, I think the idea is extremely repulsive. You, too, can be the most popular and win a frigging kidney.  :wacko:  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#17 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

This is just sick.

I do see how this program could "raise awareness", though. Maybe people will be so mortified that they'll...um...be aware of it.

Never mind, this is just sick.

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Well, turns out it was a hoax
http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/6714063.stm

A Dutch TV contest which purported to show a dying woman choose a patient to receive her kidneys was a hoax.

The "donor" in the show was in fact an actress - though the three people vying for an organ were real patients in need of a kidney transplant.

The three knew that The Big Donor Show, which aired on Friday, was not real. The producers say it was made to highlight the shortage of Dutch donors.

Dutch Education Minister Ronald Plasterk hailed the show as a "fantastic stunt".

Caroline Klingers, a kidney patient who was watching the programme at a treatment centre in the town of Bussum, also praised it.

"It's good for the publicity and there are no losers," she said.

It did get people talking about it

But Mr Lodiers said it was "reality that was shocking" because about 200 people die each year while waiting for a kidney in the Netherlands, and the average waiting time is more than four years.

Can't argue with that.

Defy Gravity!

#19 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, I saw that on the news just now, but you beat me to posting that. :)

I'm still not sure if it was a good idea to have this little hoax. Yeah, people are talking about this issue now because they're so shocked, but still.

#20 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:47 AM

apparently it got 30.000 new donors in holland.

That to me, makes it worth doing.

in fact, unless anyone can come up with a better way to sign up 30000 donors in a week...its bloody brilliant.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Organ Donations game, Netherlands, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users