Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Laci Peterson coverage?

Court Cases Laci Peterson Media

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the coverson of the Peterson case excessive? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the coverson of the Peterson case excessive?

1. It's not news. It never was news. (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. It's legitimate news, but the media is reporting non-events. (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. It's a bit excessive. (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. I think it's just about right (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I think it's been completely underplayed (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I think just a little bit more would be good. (0 votes [0.00%])

7. I support the formation of a Laci TV channel. (0 votes [0.00%])

8. The exploitation of the case is disgusting (15 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:36 PM

This is mostly about TV, everybody's favourite media whipping boy.

What do you think?

I'm frankly sick of hearing speculation about a case where we know very little, and won't until the trial starts. I'm not sure why this murder is more (covered excessively) is news, yet the firefight in the Congo earlier today merited 30 seconds of coverage. I'd hate to think it's because the victims were white and American, but it's the only conclusion I seem to be able to reach.

Discuss.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:39 PM

I can't vote because none of the options even approaches my disgust with the exploitive manner in which this horrific story (which is newsworthy imo) has been covered in my neck of the woods.:(
Posted Image

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:45 PM

Lil-- Nobody had voted for it yet, so I changed the last 'filler' option to something reflecting your attitude. I should have thought of that.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:58 PM

I dunno.  Media coverage of everything is excessive these days... well, of all the big "stories," anyway.  Several members of my family are following this case, however, and from what they say their interest-- which I presume to be the sort of interest that drives the media to cover the case in an excessive manner-- just comes from horror and bewilderment that anyone could find it in themselves to do a thing like this.

Sure, a lot of other horrible things are happening that maybe we don't even hear about.  But... we pick our spots, you know?  It's easier to care about one case and about the loss of a single life than it is to wrap one's mind around the big stuff...

#5 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:00 PM

I picked the last option.

If I see that harpy Nancy Grace again, two bullets.

Oh looky Gloria Allred is Amber Frey's attorney, what fun.

Cup of Drano plz.

-cs™

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:41 PM

I have to agree with Lil's take on this -- sheesh, can we stop exploiting the story *yet*? :barf:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#7 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:53 PM

Why focus on this story? Because Laci was a young, pretty, pregnant woman. It grabs ratings. :glare:

#8 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:45 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 7 2003, 10:40 PM, said:

I'd hate to think it's because the victims were white and American, but it's the only conclusion I seem to be able to reach.
I don't think it has anything to do with race at all.

First, it really tugs at folks heart strings ... pg gal, Christmas time, supposedly loving couple, "perfect" life, etc ... make for great stories and ratings.

Second, Modest is within easy driving range of two large media markets - Sacramento and SF ... so there is TONS of media footage and snippets and sound bites available.

Third, Modest is infamous - remember the Yosemite killings and Stayner? Remember the Chandra Levy / Gary Condit fiasco? Now Modest has their third high profile murder case. How grand.

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:48 AM

Would you believe that in Europe no one cares about Laci peterson?

I watch the news regularly from several different countries and the only one i've seen any coverage on of this woman was Fox.

the beeb ignored it, SBS 6 and Veronica ignored it, the Belgian ones ignored it as did the germans.

heck, if it wasn't for my occasional straying into the comedy stylings of the fox network, i wouldn't even know who she was.

So i guess i'm the only one voting that it isn't news, it never was.

Edited by Godeskian, 10 June 2003 - 03:49 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Court Cases, Laci Peterson, Media

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users