Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

MSNBC

Plame was ‘covert’ agent at time of name leak

Newly released unclassified document details CIA employment

By Joel Seidman
Producer
NBC News
Updated: 1:24 p.m. PT May 29, 2007

WASHINGTON - An unclassified summary of outed CIA officer Valerie Plame's employment history at the spy agency, disclosed for the first time today in a court filing by Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, indicates that Plame was "covert" when her name became public in July 2003.

The summary is part of an attachment to Fitzgerald's memorandum to the court supporting his recommendation that I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's former top aide, spend 2-1/2 to 3 years in prison for obstructing the CIA leak investigation.

The nature of Plame's CIA employment never came up in Libby's perjury and obstruction of justice trial.

It still amazes me that the entire country isn't outraged by the outing of a covert operative.  Americans scream for security and will cede their freedom to obtain it, yet won't lift a finger to protect the very operatives to gather information to ensure we are kept safe.  It boggles the mind.

Well at least this is finally settled.  Anyone want to bet how many Americans will still argue and claim she wasn't covert and there was no crime?

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:13 AM

Yeah that undercover mission to look like a socker mom. She worked out of an office. at most he rcover was as embassy staff and worked for another branch of the excutive branch like a staff member from the Dept. of Agriculture.

She was not Mrs. Smith Or Mrs.King even.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

View PostG1223, on May 29 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

Yeah that undercover mission to look like a socker mom. She worked out of an office. at most he recover was as embassy staff and worked for another branch of the executive branch like a staff member from the Dept. of Agriculture.

She was not Mrs. Smith Or Mrs.King even.

Did you read the article or do you just jump in with both feet each and every time.  This information was in a sworn affidavit that Fitz filed in Federal Court.  An affidavit from the CIA.  So you're calling the damn CIA and a Federal Prosecutor liars?  Who would you believe?  

Like I said, those of you who think it was OK to out her and then scream about National
Security are the ones I question more than anyone in government.  Our National Security depends on the secrecy of the networks agents forge around the world.  But you're Ok with one of them being outed for no apparent reason at all?  Whose side are you on G?  Because you're certainly not on the side of protecting the American people you claim to defend so passionately, because if you were you'd question why one agent was thrown to the wolves--in violation of the law I might add.

You insist that she must have been nothing in the CIA because you have to believe that.  If you didn't you'd have to look at your precious WH et. al. and accept that they outed one of their own and are traitors, and you'll never look at that.  No amount of evidence is ever going to convince you that the story you heard on FOX isn't the bona fide truth.  To hell with as many soldiers and agents as it takes to keep that delusion in place.

So you live in you lala land where the kool aide tastes great, Bush is the greatest fighter pilot who ever put on a flight suit, and your dream of a scorched Middle East is almost a reality.

You keep on keeping on G.

Source:

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

It's interesting to read the report on Plame's employment:

http://msnbcmedia.ms...employement.pdf

Not only was she undercover, she was in Counter Proliferation, specifically "chief of a CPD component with responsibility for weapons proliferation issues related to Iraq." She was assigned this role on January 1, 2002. During the course of performing her duties, she "traveled at least seven seven times to more than ten countries" and did so undercover.

I'm sure Rush Limbaugh will be reporting all of this. :rolleyes:

The irony is amazing. The White House, concerned enough about Saddam's stockpiles of WMD that they rushed us to war on cooked evidence, outs an agent who oversaw a CIA department charged precisely with assessing that very threat.

Of course, what happened was this office discovered, when Plame's husband and former Ambassor to Iraq Joe Wilson investigated the phony Saddam-Niger-uranium claim made in *forged* documents, that the White House had hyped the threat and Wilson wrote an op-ed about one piece of the hype.

In retaliation and with utter disregard for the CIA, the White House sought to portray Wilson as some nobody whose CIA employed wife had sent him on an errand. Problem is, in their trademark incompetence and their haste to send a strong warning signal to dissidents in intelligence, they didn't bother to check to see if Wilson's wife was undercover before outing her.

But as long as they have Rush Limbaugh and other self-described "water carriers" for the Bush Administration to keep casting doubt on reality, some folks will remain convinced that Plame was just a secretary at the CIA.

Edited by Spectacles, 30 May 2007 - 08:07 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

I was going to put in a joke reply going "NOOOO!  It can't be!  Rush said no!  And he's right, facts be damned!" and then stick my fingers in my ears and shout "la la la la la!"... but I see that's already been done.   Except I was going to try for sarcastic irony with mine, though...

Speaking of screwing up intelligence service personel, the CNN webpage has a video link to a report that some more Arab linguists have been fired because they're gay.  So we have a dumb administration outing secret agents while playing politics, and now we've got 'em kicking out badly-needed linguists over some couldn't-be-more-irrelevant-to-their-jobs bigoted b.s.

If national security wasn't at stake, this stuff would have the makings of a really funny farce.  As is, it's closer to tragedy...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

One more time for the back row - Richard Armitage confirmed Plame's name to reporter Robert Novak inadvertently and Fitzgerald found no intentionally neferious motive, and so no "outing" charges.
What Joe Wilson reported to the gov't of his findings is markedly different than what he touted in his Op/Ed piece.
The admin had every moral right to defend it's decisions and debunk fairy tale criticism.
If anyone was attempting to toss careers and facts into the lion's den, it was Wilson.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

View PostCait, on May 30 2007, 03:15 AM, said:

So you're calling the damn CIA and a Federal Prosecutor liars?  Who would you believe?

Isn't being liars part of their job description?

LOL...Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for those who outed her....they should be tried with Treason IMO.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on May 30 2007, 09:51 AM, said:

One more time for the back row - Richard Armitage confirmed Plame's name to reporter Robert Novak inadvertently and Fitzgerald found no intentionally neferious motive, and so no "outing" charges.
What Joe Wilson reported to the gov't of his findings is markedly different than what he touted in his Op/Ed piece.

The admin had every moral right to defend it's decisions and debunk fairy tale criticism.
If anyone was attempting to toss careers and facts into the lion's den, it was Wilson.

And one more time for the nose bleed crowd, that has nothing to do with the claims that Plame was not covert.    Which, BTW your crowd used/s endlessly to try and downplay the entire event, along with the Joe Wilson is a scum bag trick.  All in a vain attempt to make her outing palatable to the American public.  The "Oh yeah she was outed, but it doesn't matter because she wasn't covert and her husband is a dirt bag who criticized the Administration" routine is old honey.  Let's go over that ground for the millionth time and see if it can sprout wings and fly.

Who outed her is one issue.  Was she covert; is another.  The covert status is the salient point because her status determine whether or not a crime was committed.  

So while I know you love to use the art of deflection and change the subject, we're all talking about her covert status--NOT who outed her.

Try and keep up here.

She was outed.
She was covert.
End. Of. Story.

Learn to live with it.

Source:

#9 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

Ah, but you're reading from Hans Christian Andersen again.  Pick up the right storybook, preferrably from nonfiction section.
And not talking?  I saw at least 3 conspiracists in this thread talking about specifically the W.H./Adminstration outing her.  And one of them's you, darling heart.  :)  It beared addressing.

quote:  
"The covert status is the salient point because her status determine whether or not a crime was committed."

Well, you better take Fitzgerald to school and get those shackles on traitor-Rich.  Time's a wastin'.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#10 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on May 30 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

Ah, but you're reading from Hans Christian Andersen again.  Pick up the right storybook, preferrably from nonfiction section.
And not talking?  I saw at least 3 conspiracists in this thread talking about specifically the W.H./Adminstration outing her.  And one of them's you, darling heart.  :)  It beared addressing.

quote:  
"The covert status is the salient point because her status determine whether or not a crime was committed."

Well, you better take Fitzgerald to school and get those shackles on traitor-Rich.  Time's a wastin'.

And I'll bet you think you just said something clever.   :rolleyes:

Edited by Cait, 30 May 2007 - 04:39 PM.

Source:

#11 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Well, as one of the "conspiracists," I feel obliged to point out that the whole Plame matter wasn't simply a result of Richard Armitage mentioning to Novak that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and from there the whole thing was blown out of proportion. Meanwhile, Rove, Libby, Cheney and company were innocent bystanders. Not quite:

http://www.thenation...ames?pid=116511

Armitage let the cat out of the bag. But he got the info from a memo that Scooter, at Cheney's bidding, had worked up and circulated.

Nittany: What Joe Wilson reported to the gov't of his findings is markedly different than what he touted in his Op/Ed piece.

How so? I missed that.

Nittany: The admin had every moral right to defend it's decisions and debunk fairy tale criticism.

Sorry, but I cringe when I see "moral right" and the Bush administration yoked together. Wasn't Wilson's point that the administration had to know that the "sixteen words" in the SOTU were false? (And, yeah, I know. Bush said the British think Saddam tried to buy uranium from Niger, so it's technically not a lie.)

After all, the CIA stopped them from saying it in the fall before the SOTU because they said that there wasn't reliable evidence for the claim.

Furthermore, as soon as Wilson's op-ed came out, Tenet essentially said, "yep, he's right. My bad. I should have kept that out of the SOTU." Which didn't please Cheney and Bush because their "morality" argues that being leaders means never admitting errors. Instead, you shoot the messengers--hell, you blast them into the stratosphere if at all possible. And that's what they immediately set out to do to Wilson.

As far as fairy tales go, this administration has relied on them. Until recently, they survived on them. But after "end of major combat operations," "freedom is on the march," and virtually every other claim they've made about just about everything, most people have discovered, as in a famous fairy tale, that the emperor has no clothes. Neither do the guys who run his show.

It's just amazing to me that Valerie Wilson, a person who literally risked her life to serve her country, should be so savaged by people on the right--all because her husband challenged the version of reality that the Bush administration was trying to peddle. And her husband, contrary to the rightwing's portrayal of him as Michael Moore Junior, actually served in Bush I's administration. So, they've just been the targets of the usual character assassination one sees from the usual assassins. The difference has been that they've fought back--hard. And not without considerable support from within the CIA.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#12 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

Add to that, the claims that the Administration outed her are true even if we limit it to Armitage.  He was a part of the Administration until 2005 I think. But even if we don't' consider him "The Administration" he was used by Wilson to "confirm" Plame's identity.  Wilson had to have heard the information from another source.

But don't let these facts get in the way of a good right wing fairy tale.  :rolleyes:  All the CIA covert Ops will understand that they're safe.  After all, it was only a Deputy Secretary of State that had loose lips. I mean it's not like it was the President or the Vice-President.  :rolleyes:

Source:

#13 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

View PostCait, on May 30 2007, 05:38 PM, said:

quote:  

She's not alone.  :lol:  

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#14 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:11 PM

View Postscherzo, on May 30 2007, 04:17 PM, said:

View PostCait, on May 30 2007, 05:38 PM, said:

quote:  

She's not alone.  :lol:  

-scherzo

OMG!!!  I need to thank you scherzo.  I bet 20 bucks you'd be in this thread and quote me before the night was up.  Thanks pal!!    :D

Source:

#15 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hi Specs:
quote:
"How so? I missed that."

Well, how's the Senate Select Intel Committee work for you-
Report on the U.S. Intelligence Community's Prewar Intelligence Assessments on Iraq
(Conclusion 13, page 73)

"The report on the former ambassador's trip to Niger, disseminated in March 2002, did not change any analysts' assessments of the Iraq-Niger uranium deal. For most analysts, the information in the report lent more credibility to the original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reports on the uranium deal, but State Department Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) analysts believed that the report supported their assessment that Niger was unlikely to be willing or able to sell uranium to Iraq."

I mean, come on, Joe, but *snap*.

(Oh, and the committee pulls his pants down again on pg. 45 about his exaggeration that he was part of exposing forged Niger docs:  The former ambassador also told Committee staff that he was the source of a Washington Post article which said, "among the Envoy's conclusions was that the documents may have been forged because 'the dates were wrong and the names were wrong.'" Committee staff asked how the former ambassador could have come to the conclusion that the "dates were wrong and the names were wrong" when he had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports.)

And The Weekly Standard had more about what the British felt in '04:
For the record, the British have stood firm in their intelligence on the matter. In fact, the July 2004 Butler Report states that the president's uranium reference in his 2003 State of the Union address was "well-founded" and based on intelligence having nothing to do with the forged documents.
Here are the "relevant" bits, on pages 123 and 125:
We conclude that, on the basis of the intelligence assessments at the time, covering both Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the statements on Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa in the Government's dossier, and by the Prime Minister in the House of Commons, were well-founded. By extension, we conclude also that the statement in President Bush's State of the Union Address of 28 January 2003 that:
'The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa'
was well-founded.
And,
From our examination of the intelligence and other material on Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa, we have concluded that:
a. It is accepted by all parties that Iraqi officials visited Niger in 1999.
b. The British Government had intelligence from several different sources indicating that this visit was for the purpose of acquiring uranium. Since uranium constitutes almost three-quarters of Niger's exports, the intelligence was credible.
c. The evidence was not conclusive that Iraq actually purchased, as opposed to having sought, uranium and the British Government did not claim this.
d. The forged documents were not available to the British Government at the time its assessment was made, and so the fact of the forgery does not undermine it.

I wonder why none of this makes it into Mr. Wilson's speeches.

quote:
"And that's what they immediately set out to do to Wilson."

Nah.  But of course one person's smear campaign is another's legitimate response.  The Admin tried to answer Wilson's claims in the public forum, but some would rather cook up cloak and dagger in another Rove (et al) witch hunt.  It's just sad to me that so many in the mainstream media are eating of that feast and successfully selling it, Wilson at the front of the pack with book and movie deals.

I liked the way some blog had it:
"...It follows that one of the most sensational charges leveled against the Bush White House -- that it orchestrated the leak of Ms. Plame's identity to ruin her career and thus punish Mr. Wilson -- is untrue.
Not necesarily!  Although it takes a fantasist to imagine that the White House orchestrated the leak to Novak by way of Armitage (I bet I could find one!), what about the leaks to Matt Cooper and Judy Miller?
With Cooper, it is clear (to some) that after Karl Rove learned from Novak that a column about Wilson and Plame was imminent, Rove ruthlessly sat by the phone and waited for Matt Cooper to call him and ask about Niger.   :bigsmile:
Then when Cooper interviewed Libby the next day, Libby was so brutal and crafty that he never raised the subject of Ms. Plame, but offered something like "I heard that, too" when Cooper asked him about her.
And the Judy Miller leak?  Libby was so intent on besmirching Wilson with the nepotism charge that he forgot to tell Judy that Ms. Plame had a role in arranging her husband's trip to Niger.
And Special Counsel Fitzgerald still can't prove that Libby was aware of Ms. Plame's classified status back when he was conspiring to punish Joe by outing his wife."

And let's remember that kooky ol' Woodward knew about this months before and considered it idle gossip.
And btw, the CIA apparently was still working out the kinks a couple months ago.
As of April of 07 they had not yet formed an opinion, Fitzgerald's clarity be damned; Walker, the CIA's director of congressional affairs, told Hoestra that relaying her status "is taking longer than expected" to reply because of "the considerable legal complexity required for this tasking." :eh:
Perhaps they ought to get to the bottom of it via Wilson himself, in one of Blitzer's interview: "My wife was not a clandestine officer the day that Bob Novak blew her identity."

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 30 May 2007 - 08:28 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:05 AM

Odd so we have Plame who has a book deal and the chance to get a LOT of money and maybe a Movie Deal. And we have the Administration.

It is clear the person who contradicts himself is telling us the truth each and everytime he tells us a new version of the story.

Has he admitted to be Codename :Scarcrow?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:43 AM

Hi Nittany, and thanks.

We're just going to go around on this one, so I'll probably bow out after this. But I just wanted to point out that the remarks you quote above and attribute to the Senate Intelligence Committee are not from the committee proper but were actually written by three Republicans on that committee: Bond, Hatch, and Burr in the lengthy  "minority report" section of the report. This is something often left out by folks like Clifford May and Michael Ledeen--who know better but are choosing to leave readers with the impression that the entire committee stands behind these partisan remarks. It's Propaganda 101. :)

That must have been one hugely contentious committee. The report itself--the parts that they all had to agree on--is actually brief and mostly unflattering to the Bush Administration because it turns out that the Intelligence Community, for the most part, pretty accurately predicted that Iraq would be a mess: sectarian violence, increase in Islamic fundamentalism, strengthening Iran's hand. All this stuff was laid out before the invasion, but either ignored or set aside in favor of rosier scenarios. Wilson is not even mentioned in the report proper.

It's when you get into the "I disagree" part of the report--which actually makes up the bulk of it--that you find Bond, Hatch, and Burr pummeling Wilson. Are they being truthful or are the spinning? I honestly don't know because the whole minority section is one big spinfest from individual Republicans and Democrats. From my perspective as someone who is not a fan of this administration, it looks like the Republicans are trying to defend it and the Democrats are trying to attack it.

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

Looks like Thompson tripped on his way to throw his hat in the ring:

Fred Thompson and Scooter Libby: Ooops!

Fred Thompson hasn't been a real prosecutor for 35 years, but he plays one on TV. You might think he'd be careful about slandering a real prosecutors' prosecutor on behalf of a convicted perjurer. But you'd be wrong.

Ol' Fred may yet regret allowing his name to be used as a member of the Advisory Board of the Scooter Libby Legal Defense Trust. I'm not sure, but to ordinary folks that may look like "Arthur Branch" is just a mite too cozy inside the Beltway.

But Thompson's real vulnerability is going to come from his speech to the Council for National Policy , which Fitzgerald's sentencing memorandum in the Libby case shows to be a mostly a pack of lies.

Thompson said:
Hey, had to delete half for EI's sake, right?   ;)

I've highlighted the parts that the sentencing memo demolishes. She was a covered person: working covertly, having her identity actively protected, and having traveled abroad seven times under cover in the five years prior to the leak, and while Libby wasn't the only leaker he burned her to at least three different people before the Novak column ran. Note also the wonderful passive construction — Plame's CIA identity "was leaked" (by no one in particular), and the deniably but unmistakably racist crack about a "D.C. jury."

And this is the conservatives' Great White Hope against Rudy McRomney? On this showing, I could make a better President out of paper maché.
:eh:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#19 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hmm, no- both my excerpts ... glancing again... it's the word for word conclusion 12, 13 of 111 or so by the entire body.
And the second one I proferred is in the Section II part B of the whole committee's report:
"(U) The former ambassador also told Committee staff that he was the source of a Washington Post article ("CIA Did Not Share Doubt on Iraq Data; Bush Used Report of Uranium Bid," June 12, 2003) which said, "among the Envoy's conclusions was that the documents may have been forged because `the dates were wrong and the names were wrong." Committee staff asked how the former ambassador could have come to the conclusion that the "dates were wrong and the names were wrong" when he had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports. The former ambassador said that he may have "misspoken" to the reporter when he said he concluded the documents were "forged." He also said he may have become confused about his own recollection after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported in March 2003 that the names and dates on the documents were not correct and may have thought he had seen the names himself. The former ambassador reiterated that he had been able to collect the names of the government officials which should have been on the documents."
I see what you mean about the Phase I having Additional Views, and these points are discussed there, but the language I quoted is from the bipartisan actual report.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#20 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Nope. Look again.

The whole committee report is actually brief. The bulk is made up the additional comments submitted by individuals or small, partisan-defined groups. Those remarks about Wilson are in an "additional comment" authored by three Republicans.

Here's Wilson's response:

http://www.buzzflash...7/con05233.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valerie Plame, CIA Leak Case, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users