Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

MSNBC

Libby sentenced to 30 months in prison
Cheney’s former chief of staff was found guilty of lying, obstructing probe

BREAKING NEWS

WASHINGTON - Former White House aide I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby was sentenced to 2 ˝ years in prison Tuesday for lying and obstructing the CIA leak investigation.
Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, stood calmly before a packed courtroom as a federal judge said the evidence overwhelmingly proved his guilt.

“People who occupy these types of positions, where they have the welfare and security of nation in their hands, have a special obligation to not do anything that might create a problem,” U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

I almost feel sorry for that fella, having to head into prison with a nickname like "Scooter."  He'll probably get some extra protection.  Plus, he's fairly old, maybe they'll leave him alone.  I'm glad the guy's going up for what he did, but I don't wish being-turned-into-somebody's-blow-up-doll on him...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 Timon

Timon
  • Islander
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

That's what you get for walking around as an adult with a knickname like "Scooter". One free trip to federal PMITA prison. It was bound to happen.

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

I feel sorry for him too. It seems pretty obvious that he was selected to fall on his sword for the administration.  The irony is that if he hadn't perjured himself he might never have been convicted.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

So do you think he'll be able to stay out while the appeal is heard, do you think it'll be overturned, or if it isn't do you think Bush will pardon him before he does time? And if he spends time in prison do you think he'll write a book ?

#6 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

Dick Cheney and Karl Rove ought to volunteer to divvy up the sentence with him, since he lied to protect them especially.

But if he goes to prison, it will be a Club Fed with lots of other corrupt politicos and CEOs; he'll be far away from the hardcore types who might assault him.  They probably all get conjugal visits when ever they want them.

More likely, though, is that he'll be out on bond for the duration of the appeal, and if he can stretch that out past the 2008 elections, he'll get a pardon.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#7 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

I read, although I don't remember where  now, that he was out on bail for the appeals process.

Source:

#8 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

View PostCait, on Jun 5 2007, 03:15 PM, said:

I read, although I don't remember where  now, that he was out on bail for the appeals process.

It's not decided yet if he'll be able to stay out while he appeals.  The judge is going to decide that at a hearing next week (the 14th I think).  Based on statements made at today's sentencing the prediction is that he WON'T allow it.  I read the details in one or more articles in the Washington Post, but I don't recall which one(s).

Edited by Mel, 05 June 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

View PostMel, on Jun 5 2007, 01:25 PM, said:

View PostCait, on Jun 5 2007, 03:15 PM, said:

It's not decided yet if he'll be able to stay out while he appeals.  The judge is going to decide that at a hearing next week (the 14th I think).  Based on statements made at today's sentencing the prediction is that he WON'T allow it.  I read the details in one or more articles in the Washington Post, but I don't recall which one(s).

Oh!!!  Gee thanks for letting us know.  :)

Source:

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

I assume this will be a big question at the debate tonight, too...  Should Bush pardon Libby?  Kind of an interesting question, since -- as Cardie points out -- he was the fall guy for the bigger players.  Still, he did the crime, so I don't think he should walk--I just think there are others who should probably be going to Danbury Minimum Security Country Club Prison with him.  (Why do they all end up at Danbury?)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#11 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

Keith Olbermann reported tonight that of all the letters submitted to ask for leniency, there was one notable exception.  Dick Cheney did not write a letter asking for leniency.  I also heard him in an interview a while ago where he stated he had not even spoke with Libby since his resignation.

Cheney makes me want to hurl.  When he throws you under the bus, you are thrown under the BUS.

Source:

#12 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

I don't know why I feel the need to be fair to Cheney here, but cmon -- he's not gonna write a letter.  He's gonna do his behind-the-scenes thing, which is, frankly, far more effective.  He's gonna march into the Oval Office and say, "Sir, when do you plan to pardon our man Scooter?"  (And the answer is probably "January, 2009" -- which Scooter probably already knows.)

#13 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jun 5 2007, 07:14 PM, said:

I don't know why I feel the need to be fair to Cheney here, but cmon -- he's not gonna write a letter.  He's gonna do his behind-the-scenes thing, which is, frankly, far more effective.  He's gonna march into the Oval Office and say, "Sir, when do you plan to pardon our man Scooter?"  (And the answer is probably "January, 2009" -- which Scooter probably already knows.)

Well, of course he is going to do his thing behind the scenes, but .. well you are probably right.  I just found it offensive on some girly emotional level.  LOL  :p

Source:

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

View PostCait, on Jun 5 2007, 07:17 PM, said:

Well, of course he is going to do his thing behind the scenes, but .. well you are probably right.  I just found it offensive on some girly emotional level.  LOL  :p

Me too. :p

But then I remind myself that Scooter Libby isn't going to jail for outing Plame (unfortunately, and neither are the real perpetrators). He's going to jail because he's a liar who obstructed the investigation - kind of like a cat covering up sh*t in a litter box. :D And I don't feel sorry for him no way, nohow. The only thing I'm sorry about is that Cheney and Rove aren't going to jail with him. But I can still dream. ;)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

View PostCardie, on Jun 5 2007, 01:12 PM, said:

They probably all get conjugal visits when ever they want them.
Are they stuck with their actual wives?  Do their wives actually have to show up?   :oh:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

View PostCait, on Jun 5 2007, 10:17 PM, said:

What, you expected him to behave like an actual human being?  Oh, sweetie...  :devil:

#17 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

I know.  I know.  Silly me!   :rolleyes:

Source:

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

View PostNonny, on Jun 5 2007, 08:01 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on Jun 5 2007, 01:12 PM, said:

They probably all get conjugal visits when ever they want them.
Are they stuck with their actual wives?  Do their wives actually have to show up?   :oh:
:howling: :howling: :howling: :howling: :howling:
- Robert A. Heinlein

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

I actually don't care if Libby was the fall guy or not. If Paris Hilton can show up and do her time for her crimes, then so can Scooter.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

WHY THE F**K IS HE CALLED "SCOOTER"?!?!?!

Sh!t...and just when I thought I was through hearing that stupid nickname that these idiotic news agencies kept referring to as his first name.  :wacko: :glare:

:wallbash:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plame case, Scooter Libby, Sentenced, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users