• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

Most Infertile Couples Favor Stem Cell Research; Fewer Would Donate Embryos to Others

Faden and co-author Anne Drapkin Lyerly, MD, of Duke University, based their conclusions on surveys of 1,020 members of couples with stored frozen embryos treated at nine infertility centers around the country.

The findings are published in the latest online issue of the journal Science.

Nearly half of those questioned (49%) indicated they were “somewhat or very likely” to donate their unused frozen embryos to medical research. When asked if they would be willing to donate the embryos for stem cell research, specifically, 60% of the respondents answered in the affirmative, even though the survey made it clear that the embryos would be destroyed in the process.

“The wishes of this key group have been missing from the debate,” Faden says. “These embryos are created by real people with names and stories. And those people have views about their own moral responsibilities to these embryos and what they want to happen to them.”

By contrast, just over one in five (22%) said they would be willing to donate the embryos to other couples wishing to conceive.

Certainly this probably won't change many people's opinion.
In fact I could see it making some "Pro-Life" who were either for or neutral for fertility treatments backing off from those positions, and if they still support it, support it only with restrictions like Italy has now
(read this article if you want to know more on Italy's restrictions:
http://news.bbc.co.u...ope/3548242.stm )

And I could see "Pro-Choice" people claiming this a good thing.

Though, unless you were "Pro-Life" from point of implanation forward, I never could see how they could logic to justisfy destroying unimplanted zygotes for research except as a pragmatic "so what do we do with these extra zygotes".

I also found it interesting that there is people who had such trouble conceiving and having children not will to donate 'excess' zygotes for other couples with the same problems....

(Note: I put "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Choice" in quotations because I find them such limitating labels, especially in stem-cells/assistive reproductive technologies debate...)

Edited by sierraleone, 21 June 2007 - 01:31 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

I've always believed a strong majority of Americans (at least 65% if not more) are progressive liberal minded folks. Sadly, only about 30% of them seem to vote.

#3 Ilyanna

Ilyanna
  • Islander
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

So there are significantly more people choose to have the zygotes used and destroyed than people that want to help other people get a child. Somehow, that depresses me a bit.
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
C. Palahniuk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users