Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Video game addiction as a new psychiatric disorder?

Mental Health Addiction Video games 2007

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

A separate diagnosis is completely ridiculous.

I think I agree.  I mean it's just another form of isolation (hey it could be television, books, music) which may be symptomatic of something.  So it seems to me that it's more of a symptom rather than a disorder in and of itself.

Lil

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 22 June 2007 - 09:34 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Jun 22 2007, 07:34 PM, said:

A separate diagnosis is completely ridiculous.

I think I agree.  I mean it's just another form of isolation (hey it could be television, books, music) which may be symptomatic of something.  So it seems to me that it's more of a symptom rather than a disorder in and of itself.

Lil
I've never heard of someone dropping dead from dehydration and lack of sleep while reading a book, watching TV or listening to music.

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:48 AM

Erm...I looked at the article and they didn't mention it either.  I mean if it's kids, presumably there is someone who will pull the plug on the damned game.  Adults die of depression.  

Lil
Posted Image

#24 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:47 AM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Jun 22 2007, 11:48 PM, said:

Erm...I looked at the article and they didn't mention it either.  I mean if it's kids, presumably there is someone who will pull the plug on the damned game.  Adults die of depression.  

Lil
Here are several reports of deaths from video gaming:
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/4137782.stm
http://www.smh.com.a...4561356377.html
http://www.smh.com.a...4061260831.html
http://www.theage.co...8594344830.html

And the Seattle Times article on the AMA proposal does mention it:
http://seattletimes....meaddict22.html

But doctors in favor of the proposal said the condition needs to be recognized by the medical establishment so it can be properly treated.

It's happening in South Korea. In 2005, government officials there sent psychologists into Internet gaming cafes to warn players of addiction dangers after a man died of heart failure brought on by exhaustion and dehydration after a 50-hour binge playing "World of Warcraft." A spokesman for Blizzard Entertainment, the game's Irvine-based creator, declined to comment.

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:16 AM

^

I'm going to show that to my housemate who spends WAY too much time with WOW.

But it still seems that it's just a more severe SYMPTOM (as opposed to a separate condition) of the same thing that gets people shutting out the rest of the world using other things.  In my lay opinion of course seeing as how I'm not a doctor...
Posted Image

#26 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:39 AM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Jun 23 2007, 01:16 AM, said:

^

I'm going to show that to my housemate who spends WAY too much time with WOW.

But it still seems that it's just a more severe SYMPTOM (as opposed to a separate condition) of the same thing that gets people shutting out the rest of the world using other things.  In my lay opinion of course seeing as how I'm not a doctor...
Well, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that all addictions are just pleasure center addictions, and so they all have the same root. I'm really not sure what sets one apart from the other, besides the way in which the pleasure center gets stimulated. Yet, they are classified separately, perhaps because the treatment is different?

#27 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

An update:  

http://news.yahoo.co...n_videogames_dc  

The American Medical Association called for more research into the public health risks of video and Internet games on Wednesday but stopped short of declaring them addictive.

The AMA, which recommended a review of the current video game rating system, also said it would leave it up to the American Psychiatric Association and other experts to decide whether video game addiction should be designated a mental illness.

"While more study is needed on the addictive potential of video games, the AMA remains concerned about the behavioral, health and societal effects of video game and Internet overuse," said AMA president Dr. Ronald Davis.

The AMA also wants more study on the effectiveness of the video game ratings system, which has not been updated since 1994. Davis said research has linked exposure to media violence with increased aggressive behavior.

The AMA's debate over video game addiction at the group's annual meeting touched a nerve among doctors, who are not sure what to tell patients and worried parents.

"To the extent that a game is controlling someone's behaviors and taking over their daily life, then you are talking about a compulsive use, whether you categorize it in a psychiatric manual or not," Davis told reporters at a news briefing.

Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#28 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the update! :)

Fong said there needs to be more empirical research into the effects of video games, especially on children.

"Otherwise, we are just spouting out myths and stereotypes," he said.
:cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#29 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

A leading council of the nation's largest doctors' group wants to have this behavior officially classified as a psychiatric disorder, to raise awareness and enable sufferers to get insurance coverage for treatment.

Lady, I've got your treatment right here: Rip the f*ck*ng TV and Game console out of the bedroom, toss them out, and tell your kid to get a life.

Making your kid a pill popper isn't a substitute for good parenting.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#30 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:28 AM

I wouldn't call video game addiction a disorder in and of itself, it can however be a symptom of other disorders.  Certain compulsive disorders I could see having the symptoms of addict-like behavior.  Some personality disorders might do the same thing.  It's also possible that someone with social phobias might find talking to people on the internet much easier than talking to people in real life, and since these people are often starved of personal relationships they might well become very attached to their chat-room buddies or their MMRP characters because those give them relationships with others.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mental Health, Addiction, Video games, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users