6 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:56 AM

http://www.nypost.co...nalnews/830.htm

June 10, 2003 -- A Navy veteran who shot a burglar as the crook crept into his toddler's bedroom has dodged a possible three- month prison sentence for criminal possession of a weapon by coming clean with prosecutors.
Ronald Dixon, 27, flashed a broad grin yesterday after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of disorderly conduct, a violation that will send him to Rikers Island for just three days, in a deal with Brooklyn DA Charles Hynes.

"I'm very pleased with the DA's office and its decision," Dixon told reporters.

Authorities have always held that Dixon, a Carnegie Hall computer engineer, was within his rights in shooting a career criminal who broke into the veteran's home Dec. 14.

But prosecutors refused to let him off for possessing the unlicensed 9 mm pistol he used to wound Ivan Thompson, 40.

To get the reduced sentence, Dixon, who works a second job on the weekend to support his family, had to acknowledge his wrongdoing, document where he got the gun and prove that he had taken steps to register it.

The conviction will not appear on his record.

Defense lawyer Joseph Mure said Dixon bought the gun from a friend in the mid-1990s after a robber held him up in Florida, where he was serving in the Navy.

He kept the weapon when he moved to Canarsie last year.

"He was a victim . . . The gun was kept inside his home for protection," Mure said outside of court.

Asked what he would change if he could to turn back the clock to that fateful night when he wounded Thompson, Dixon said: "I'd make sure I had a license first."

Thompson, who has a lengthy rap sheet, was wounded in the chest and groin and faces burglary charges.

God knows what would have happened without the presence of persuasion operating at several hundred miles per hour. It's also refreshing that the prosecuter got it right; I'm sure Dixon is more than happy to serve 3 days to save the life of his child.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:02 AM

What's more, by it not appearing on his record, he essentially got away practically scot free

and gotta love that tagline, 'i would have licensed it first'  :p i'm sorry, but that's the kind of attitude even i can appreciate

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:05 AM

Godeskian, on Jun 10 2003, 11:06 AM, said:

What's more, by it not appearing on his record, he essentially got away practically scot free
Not really. The case is too highly publicized; I would imagine everybody he knows is aware of it.

and gotta love that tagline, 'i would have licensed it first'  :p i'm sorry, but that's the kind of attitude even i can appreciate

Hee! Me too.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:08 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 10 2003, 06:09 PM, said:

Not really. The case is too highly publicized; I would imagine everybody he knows is aware of it.
Irrelevant, without a legal record he'll be forgotten by the mass of people in a few months tops.

Which basically reinforces that yes, you can defend yourself in your own property, without facing serious consequences, which i think is a sound idea. If the gun had been licensed, he wouldn't even have spent three days at Rikers.

#5 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:20 AM

This is *really* surprising for an NYC prosecutor...

Every other story I've heard of from that town, justified or not, ends with the homeowner getting strung up by his toenails.

So, kudos to the homeowner, and kudos to the prosecutor!
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:44 AM

Makes you wonder why this "Career Criminal" was not gathering dust on his feet while sitting in a jail cell. Bet somebody said it was not right that a homeowner defened himself rather than let this "Poor misunderstood" person kill the family to prevent being sent to prison.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:54 AM

Only sad possibility is that the Burgler will probably wind up sueing...and even worse, he'll win.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, Brooklyn, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users