#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

Bloomberg.com

Libby, Ex-Cheney Aide, Must Go to Jail During Appeal
By Cary O'Reilly

July 2 (Bloomberg) -- Lewis ``Scooter'' Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, must go to prison while appealing his conviction for obstructing a CIA leak probe, a U.S. appeals court said.

Libby may be behind bars within weeks after a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit today denied his request for release. The decision will increase pressure on President George W. Bush to decide soon whether to pardon Libby, 56, as the former White House official's supporters have urged.

Libby ``has not shown that the appeal raises a substantial question'' under federal law that would merit letting him remain free, the court said.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Can't wait to see if they pardon him.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

It will certainly be interesting to watch, that's for sure.  Federal Guidelines for a Pardon don't cover Libby's case.  But, then Bush has said before the rules don't apply to him.  I don't think there is a law regarding pardons, but don't quote me on that.  I think it's just guidelines.  

Bush can always commute the sentence I think.

In any event, it's going to he a "hot" summer.  :p

Source:

#4 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

Bush is going to commute the sentence; Libby will have to serve the probation and still pay the fine.

Should be announced in a matter of minutes.

The man should have received a full pardon.
I wonder if that could still happen, technically I would guess so, though a pres. wouldn't make the commute move first I wouldn't think.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#5 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

Yes, I'm hearing it now on the news, Bush commuted the sentence.

Source:

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

That lying cheating coward Bush.   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jul 2 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

I know you have all these emotional reasons for a pardon, but a pardon is a declared and even undeclared admission of guilt [in case you didn't realize], it's not an exoneration.  It's also [according to the guidelines] 5 years after the case is resolved.   Libby wouldn't be eligible for a pardon for quite some time if Bush followed the existing Federal Guidelines. A commutation was the only way to go for immediate results, and of course only the 28%'ers will be happy and the political fallout will be even more interesting to watch.  :p

As to what I think you meant [He was wrongly convicted and should have never been charged], a jury thought different.  That's the way we live in this country.  A jury is the trier of facts--not Nittany or even Cait .  I still hate that a jury found OJ Simpson not guilty, but I appreciate the system here in the US.  12 people listened to the evidence in Libby's case, were instructed by the judge on the law, and came to a unanimous verdict.  As to *that* jury verdict, an appeals court will decide if there were mistakes during the trial.  Again, that is the way we do things here in the US.

In any event, it seems that loyalty is held dearer to some than the law and the process.  Good news for Libby, bad news for the plebeians.

Source:

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:16 PM

What was I thinking?  It's not as if I expected anything approaching integrity from anyone in the Bush administration, starting with Bush.  Still, it's a crying shame.  

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

http://www.tpmmuckra...ives/003579.php

Here is the president's statement released by the White House: said:

The United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit today rejected Lewis Libby’s request to remain free on bail while pursuing his appeals for the serious convictions of perjury and obstruction of justice. As a result, Mr. Libby will be required to turn himself over to the Bureau of Prisons to begin serving his prison sentence.
I have said throughout this process that it would not be appropriate to comment or intervene in this case until Mr. Libby’s appeals have been exhausted. But with the denial of bail being upheld and incarceration imminent, I believe it is now important to react to that decision.

From the very beginning of the investigation into the leaking of Valerie Plame’s name, I made it clear to the White House staff and anyone serving in my administration that I expected full cooperation with the Justice Department. Dozens of White House staff and administration officials dutifully cooperated.

After the investigation was under way, the Justice Department appointed United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois Patrick Fitzgerald as a Special Counsel in charge of the case. Mr. Fitzgerald is a highly qualified, professional prosecutor who carried out his responsibilities as charged.

This case has generated significant commentary and debate. Critics of the investigation have argued that a special counsel should not have been appointed, nor should the investigation have been pursued after the Justice Department learned who leaked Ms. Plame’s name to columnist Robert Novak. Furthermore, the critics point out that neither Mr. Libby nor anyone else has been charged with violating the Intelligence Identities Protection Act or the Espionage Act, which were the original subjects of the investigation. Finally, critics say the punishment does not fit the crime: Mr. Libby was a first-time offender with years of exceptional public service and was handed a harsh sentence based in part on allegations never presented to the jury.

Others point out that a jury of citizens weighed all the evidence and listened to all the testimony and found Mr. Libby guilty of perjury and obstructing justice. They argue, correctly, that our entire system of justice relies on people telling the truth. And if a person does not tell the truth, particularly if he serves in government and holds the public trust, he must be held accountable. They say that had Mr. Libby only told the truth, he would have never been indicted in the first place.

Both critics and defenders of this investigation have made important points. I have made my own evaluation. In preparing for the decision I am announcing today, I have carefully weighed these arguments and the circumstances surrounding this case.

Mr. Libby was sentenced to thirty months of prison, two years of probation, and a $250,000 fine. In making the sentencing decision, the district court rejected the advice of the probation office, which recommended a lesser sentence and the consideration of factors that could have led to a sentence of home confinement or probation.

I respect the jury’s verdict. But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive. Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby’s sentence that required him to spend thirty months in prison.

My decision to commute his prison sentence leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby. The reputation he gained through his years of public service and professional work in the legal community is forever damaged. His wife and young children have also suffered immensely. He will remain on probation.The significant fines imposed by the judge will remain in effect. The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant, and private citizen will be long-lasting.

The Constitution gives the President the power of clemency to be used when he deems it to be warranted. It is my judgment that a commutation of the prison term in Mr. Libby’s case is an appropriate exercise of this power.

Source:

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Well, this is no big surprise. What I'm surprised about is that Bush seems to have ruled out a pardon. This will piss off people on the right who think that lying to federal investigators and a grand jury is no big deal--as long as a Republican does it.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 2 2007, 03:21 PM, said:

Well, this is no big surprise. What I'm surprised about is that Bush seems to have ruled out a pardon. This will piss off people on the right who think that lying to federal investigators and a grand jury is no big deal--as long as a Republican does it.

Truth be told, while I think it sends the wrong message to the country about responsibility and such, at least he used Executive powers correctly for once.  He does have the power to commute a sentence, and he did.  But like the statement says, Libby still lives with the conviction.

Source:

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

They say that had Mr. Libby only told the truth, he would have never been indicted in the first place.
Um, he can repeat the words, but it's hard to tell what he makes of them.   :unsure:

It is my judgment that a commutation of the prison term in Mr. Libby’s case is an appropriate exercise of this power.
There's that flawed judgement, the kind that got us embroiled in Iraq.   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Posted Image

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

View PostNonny, on Jul 2 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

That lying cheating coward Bush.   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

This *is* the act of a coward--for *so* many reasons.  

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jul 2 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

I wonder if that could still happen, technically I would guess so, though a pres. wouldn't make the commute move first I wouldn't think.

Of *course* he'll have a full pardon--on Bush's last day in office.  And *that's* (one of the reasons) why it's the act of a coward.  

And it's the act of a hypocrite.  In the same breath as he issues the commutation, Bush condemns Libby for his crimes, which he calls corrosive to our system.  (Of course, this will be conveniently forgotten when he issues the pardon--so he'll be doubly hypocritical.  Then again, he *has* to reward the guy for not turning on Cheney.)

And it's the act of a political IDIOT because he could have issued this pardon last fall, before any of this evidence came out, before the conviction, and before his administration was dragged through the mud losing the support not just of the few Dems and independents he had left, but of a substantial number of REPUBLICANS in the process.  Course, that wasn't just about Libby--or even mostly about Libby--but the point is: he could've saved himself all these months of embarrassing disclosures AND the conviction AND the fallout from this commutation... but he didn't.  

Why?  Because Bush will always roll those dice--whether the price to be paid is his, politically, or OURS--in lives and treasure.

BTW, just so we get this straight: the Republicans who argued so vigorously for a pardon, and who are crowing now that Bush did the right thing?  These are the SELF-SAME REPUBLICANS who voted to impeach a Democratic president for same crime: perjury.  

Remember that the next time the GOP claims to be the party of "law & order."

Edited by ScottEVill, 02 July 2007 - 05:32 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

Actually-I think that Libby just got pardoned...I just caught something off NBC.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

No, he just commuted the jail sentence.  The felony conviction remains (which means he will lose his license to practice law), as does the quarter million dollar fine, which of course will be paid for by rich friends of the Vice President, who will also make sure Scooter is taken care of financially for the rest of his life -- even without a pardon, which I still believe is forthcoming on the last day of Bush's term.

Edited by ScottEVill, 02 July 2007 - 05:40 PM.

#16 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

No, Bush didn't pardon him. He commuted his sentence. And from his statement, Bush is now on record ruling out a pardon:

Bush (from the article above): My decision to commute his prison sentence leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby. The reputation he gained through his years of public service and professional work in the legal community is forever damaged. His wife and young children have also suffered immensely. He will remain on probation.The significant fines imposed by the judge will remain in effect. The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant, and private citizen will be long-lasting.

No pardon.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Marketwatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- President Bush on Monday commuted the 2 1/2-year prison sentence of former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, according to media reports. Bush left intact a $250,000 fine and two years probation for Libby, the Associated Press reported, citing a senior White House official. Libby was convicted in March of lying to authorities and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of a CIA operative's identity.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

You really think that rules out a pardon?  What's "long-lasting?"  18 months could be long-lasting.

#19 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Well, no, it doesn't rule it out. But Bush sure will look like a big ole liar if he pardons Libby after saying that. Whether that stops him or not, I don't know.

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 2 2007, 06:45 PM, said:

But Bush sure will look like a big ole liar....

Um-I think it's a BIT late for that, Specs. How else did we get involved in Iraq? :whistle:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plame Case, Scooter Libby, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users