87 replies to this topic

#81 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

View PostNonny, on Jul 4 2007, 01:10 AM, said:

View PostJulianus, on Jul 3 2007, 04:44 PM, said:

Mr. Libby, at least for now, still has to pay a $250,000 fine and serve regular probation.      

Comments by Durbin, Schumer, and Clinton make me wonder if their minions are more nervous today about being thrown under the bus at need.
Somebody else who might be nervous--the probation officer who gets stuck with him.   :eek4:   If, of course, he actually has to serve the probation.   :unsure:
Oh, I dunno. there could be good money in that situation, not legal, but good money. :devil:

#82 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

View PostJulianus, on Jul 4 2007, 03:13 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Jul 4 2007, 01:10 AM, said:

View PostJulianus, on Jul 3 2007, 04:44 PM, said:

Mr. Libby, at least for now, still has to pay a $250,000 fine and serve regular probation.      

Comments by Durbin, Schumer, and Clinton make me wonder if their minions are more nervous today about being thrown under the bus at need.
Somebody else who might be nervous--the probation officer who gets stuck with him.   :eek4:   If, of course, he actually has to serve the probation.   :unsure:
Oh, I dunno. there could be good money in that situation, not legal, but good money. :devil:
:angel: :p
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#83 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

View PostCait, on Jul 3 2007, 05:28 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Jul 3 2007, 03:08 PM, said:

oh dear.......... I was drinking some ice water when I read this.........

Fellow Republican Texan Tom Delay, himself indicted, nonetheless issued a scathing attack on the commutation.

"No man is above the law, and no man is below the law," Delay said, choking back tears. "That's the principle that we all hold very dear in this country."

I spewed it all over my keyboard.  What a mess.  Well, the mess was better than having the water go down the wrong pipe or out my nose.

Given not only recent events, but Delay's fall from power, there was a particular kind of irony that only comes along maybe once in a lifetime.

I'd already seen that quote once elsewhere yesterday or I would have spewed too. I think if pressed he would have changed it to "No Democrat is above the law.." :p Or at least, he seemed mighty surprised when the law came back to bite him on the butt. ;)

Edited by Rhea, 04 July 2007 - 04:17 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#84 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

"The Hammer" got the hammer.  :p  And it couldn't happen to a more deserving politician.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#85 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

View PostCait, on Jul 4 2007, 01:58 AM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on Jul 3 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

Well - maybe I'm misreading you. But the term "Robert's court" seems to imply that the decision is a conservative leaning one, brought on by the appointment of Roberts and others, whereas this decision was nearly unanimous - not at all decided along that familiar 5-4 split.  If I misread your intent, I apologize.

QT

Well, I think that "others" probably have that take on it, but no, my intent with that particular comment was to point out that the Roberts' Court had upheld advisory sentencing guidelines just a few weeks ago.  

I thought it was even more powerful that the court decided that 8-1.  Perhaps the term Roberts' Court is already some kind of negative, but I didn't mean it as anything but a benign description of whose court it was/is.  To be honest, it will be a long time before I think that some kind of "philosophy" will actually emerge to the point where I'd label it the Roberts' Court in the same way we talk about the Warren Court or the Rehnquist Court.  He's still relatively new and I think it is premature to use the term to define the court.

Thanks for clarifying, and my apologies again for imposing meaning into your words that were unintended. :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#86 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Jul 4 2007, 03:37 PM, said:

Thanks for clarifying, and my apologies again for imposing meaning into your words that were unintended. :)

No problem.  I thank you for asking for clarification.  :)

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#87 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

View PostMuseZack, on Jul 3 2007, 05:54 AM, said:

View PostRobL, on Jul 3 2007, 03:07 AM, said:

Funny, when Clinton gave out a bunch of questionable pardons in the last days of his administration, all the liberalcons just gave "meh" in response. But when Bush does it, you are all up in arms.

If you don't like the way Pardons/Commutations(sp?) are done, then lobby congress to take that power away from the president. Otherwise, too bad, so sad, should have done something about it before when Clinton did it.

FWIW, Clinton's most controversial pardon was of Marc Rich.  Marc Rich's lawyer was...wait for it...

Scooter Libby.

Actually, after looking over the list, I can find several others.

http://www.usdoj.gov...rdon_grants.htm

January 20, 2001
Susan H. McDougal E. D. Ark. 1996 Mail fraud, 18 U.S.C. 1341; aiding and abetting in misapplication of Small Business Investment Corporation funds, 18 U.S.C. 657 and 2; aiding and abetting in making false entries, 18 U.S.C. 1006 and 2; aiding and abetting in making false statements, 18 U.S.C. 1014 and 2

Didn't she do some jail time for billy?

Oh, and look, that pesky "false statements" thing. Gee, that seems to be fairly common, dontyouthink?

Bring back Darthsikle!

#88 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

omg, this one made me laugh

Roger Clinton 1. W. D. Ark. 1. 1985 1. Conspiracy to distribute cocaine, 21 U.S.C. 846
2. W.D. Ark. 2. 1985  
2. Distribution of cocaine, 21 U.S.C. 841(a)(1)

I mean, it was only cocaine.

Bring back Darthsikle!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plame Case, Scooter Libby, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users