• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

After much deliberation in the Staff Lounge, and discussions with various members, we're changing the spoiler policy as it has existed in GMD from time immemorial in an attempt to simplify the rules, cut down on the use of spoiler tags, and be fair to all our members worldwide.

So, from today onward, we will no longer be defining a spoiler as something that has yet to air in the US.  I don't think anyone ever set out to make that the standard, it just evolved that way.  But that standard is incredibly unfair to any Ex Isler who doesn't live in the US.  We're asking Brits to spoiler tag discussions of Torchwood Series 1 because it hasn't aired here even though it aired there last fall.  To them, it's old news.  Ditto the 2006 Dr Who Christmas Special (which is being discussed in GMD at the moment).

Meanwhile, we Yanks feel free to discuss an episode of Heroes that aired here a few weeks ago without tags.  

So we're doing away with that double-standard.  

In its place, we're gonna adopt the standard set by Cardie in Reviews: once something has aired anywhere, it's fair game to discuss in GMD, no tags needed.  We just ask that the subject line be clearly labeled "Spoilers for Show X."  

If someone down the thread brings in some new element for the purposes of comparison -- they should put a note in their post indicating that the rest of that post (and possibly the rest of the thread) will contain information about Show Y.

So hopefully no one will be blindsided, and no one will have to use tags for shows that have already aired, regardless of whether they aired on the UK or US broadcast schedule (or, for that matter, the Zimbabwean broadcast schedule).

Info about shows that haven't aired yet should still be tagged.  Or, you could put it in the Spoiler Clubhouse untagged.  Your choice.

Questions, comments, suggestions for modification, threats on my life -- all should be posted here.  

Thanks!  --Scott

Edited by ScottEVill, 05 July 2007 - 12:08 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

Sounds good to me. :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#3 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:36 AM

:love:

Remind me to take you out for a drink next time I'm in NYC.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 Gaheris

Gaheris
  • Islander
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

In its place, we're gonna adopt the standard set by Cardie in Reviews: once something has aired anywhere, it's fair game to discuss in GMD, no tags needed.

So does your "anywhere" only mean the UK and US or really anywhere? In some countries, the eos air more than one year later. Maybe you should specify that.
So long ago, another life,
I can feel your heartbeat,
It's not a dream, remember us,
I can see it in your eyes.
We'll find a place in time, a place in time
Beyond the sun, we'll find a place in time, a place in time to go along...

#5 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:05 AM

From the above guidelines:

So hopefully no one will be blindsided, and no one will have to use tags for shows that have already aired, regardless of whether they aired on the UK or US broadcast schedule  (or, for that matter, the Zimbabwean broadcast schedule).

Edited by FlatlandDan, 06 July 2007 - 04:05 AM.

-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'll hold you to that, dani!  ;)  I'm glad you're happy with the change.  

(And, gaheris--Yes, it's ANYWHERE.  Not just US and UK, but anywhere in the world.)

Edited by ScottEVill, 06 July 2007 - 01:47 PM.

#7 Gaheris

Gaheris
  • Islander
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

So everything in spoiler tags because it hasn't aired in Somalia.

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

View PostGaheris, on Jul 6 2007, 05:17 PM, said:

So everything in spoiler tags because it hasn't aired in Somalia.

No, you have it backwards.  No spoiler tags once it has had its first airing anywhere.  So if a cool show happens to have its first airing in Somalia, anyone who saw it there can chat about it without tags to their heart's content, without having to wait till folks in the US or UK have had a chance to see it.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#9 Gaheris

Gaheris
  • Islander
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:49 AM

Now I got it, thanks for the clarification Cardie.

#10 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

That's a dumb rule. Let's pretend most of us don't live in the US, so we can give a 'feel-good' to the UK or other, even smaller, EI groups. So I have to read spoilers for shows I haven't even had the chance to see yet, without any warnings.

Edit: Okay, the thread has to be clearly marked - that helps. Sorry, I'm just grumpy this morning. Probably shouldn't be posting.

*goes away now*

Edited by Hambil, 19 November 2007 - 09:46 AM.

#11 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

All is fair in love and war ;)

I don't mind having to read spoilers for US shows I have yet to see, provided that I don't get my head ripped off for talking about episodes of Torchwood that have aired over a year ago in the UK (but not in the US).
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

I'm pretty much with Dani on that one. Either it's all spoilers, or none of it is.

I'd be just as happy to say 'once it's aired, anywhere, it's fair game'

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

^^^And, indeed, that is what we've said.  That's the policy.

#14 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

Though, it's still common courtesy to warn when posting about it in an unrelated thread?
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#15 Berry

Berry

let's have a little less ritual and a little more fun!

• Islander
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

I like the new policy. It's simpler. And if you read the heading, you won't be "blind-sided" .
The thing is...you couldn't say "No",even if you wanted to. (Bobby Comfort in "Cool Money")

#16 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

wow
not sure I like that

the whole POINT of a movie in general media was to read news about what's coming and what's
just arriving, without plot spoilers, and if you have a spoiler on't then you put that
in Reviews; so now you cant read news about anything in g media, so then I guess I just
cant go in g media at all then?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

^Umm, the last post in this thread before yours was four and a half years ago.  So this is nothing new.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#18 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postfoborg, on 29 November 2007 - 12:12 PM, said:

Though, it's still common courtesy to warn when posting about it in an unrelated thread?

Yup - this is a very old thread - and a very old post.  But to answer the question - if you are posting spoilers in an thread that is unrelated - please use spoiler tags.  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#19 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

yeah the combination of the new changes, with it's Scott's post, with he is doing a lot of the explaining of the July changes, with I'm trying out one of the skins and it's really hard to see the grey on white Pinned logo and easy to miss, with...

but hey let's be nice to those of us struggling with the forum changes, I 'v seen on here a few times someone says things like 'after I figure out how to find a forum' or 'after I figure out where to put a post' with all this change
;)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users