• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#181 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 06:00 AM

^ No I'm not :p :D Nice to read a new perspective in here. Heck, my father had suspicions I was gay, and I suspect it was because I didn't go out with guys enough for him  :rolleyes: Not to mention I'm as bad as a sterotypical dyke when it comes to shaving ;) :D

(I used dyke because I was talking about sterotypes :) )

And I agree with you on modesty in public :wacko: No one has it anymore :p :D

Well, not no one, we tend to notice those who don't more ;) :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#182 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:16 AM

AnneZo, on Jun 13 2003, 10:17 PM, said:

More generally, this mania about homophobia has really only been around since the Victorian era. There are plenty of examples of homosexuals throughout history who were certainly considered neither pariahs nor "ungodly" in any sense.
Yah. The Victorians managed to make everybody at the same time completely repressed sexually and utterly obssessed with it. :p :p

Too bad so many people think Victorian values were always the way of the Western world.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#183 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:21 AM

I could argue that homosexuality is wrong because it completely goes against God's plan for man and woman from when he created them.

Taken  to its logical conclusion, that argument means that all contraception is also wrong and anyone who does not make babies is just as in violation of "God's plan" as homosexuals (leaving aside for the moment the question of adoption).  Never mind that many people are simply not parent material, that this world is over populated and has a real problem with malnutritioned, starving, ill, undereducated, and abused children.

Lil

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 15 June 2003 - 10:22 AM.

Posted Image

#184 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 04:28 PM

^  What she said. :)

And add me to the, "not parental material but not homosexual" category who, under this strict definition of what "god" wanted from people, is probably destined for a warm afterlife.

But I swear I'm not going to harp on religion. :) I told myself last night that I'd gone far enough down that path and if I came close to offending anyone, I'm sorry. :(

Uncle Sid, on Jun 14 2003, 06:14 AM, said:

If, for instance, there was a religion where gay people could get married, there's no way we could declare that religious bond or ceremony to be illegal.  However, we can deny legal marriage to that group because the benefits provided are civil and not religious. 
You're quite right, of course. :) I forgot the fine but distinct line between, "illegal" and "unrecognized" which is what gay marriage is in this country.

Except, of course, in Hawaii.

Edited by AnneZo, 15 June 2003 - 04:33 PM.

#185 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 04:32 PM

actually IIRC (and I may be misremembering this), Hawaii's legalization of same sex marriages was fairly recently overturned.  But I believe it's Vermont (I could be wrong, it's one of those states over there) that has legalized same sex marriages.

IIRC.

:unsure:
Posted Image

#186 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 04:34 PM

I think it was Vermont, wasn't it?  I know Hawaii has been performing same-sex marriages for a number of years. It may be geographical distance that keeps it from becoming an issue among the hysterically  homophobic crowd. (Seems like when people talk about the USofA, Hawaii is almost never mentioned.)

#187 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:47 AM

Gvambat, on Jun 13 2003, 06:25 PM, said:

And don't you mean Esther?
Yes, I do. My mistake.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Homophobia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users