24 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:26 AM

http://www.nypost.co...nalnews/921.htm

State lawmakers - experts at larding the budget, adept at feasting on political pork, often called fat-heads themselves - now want a "fat tax" on obesity-linked snacks, soft drinks and junk foods.

"We have to act now to prevent a ticking time bomb that will overwhelm our health-care system and resources in the coming years," said the chief sponsor of the measure, Brooklyn Democratic Assemblyman Felix Ortiz.

"Just as people pay attention to smoking, we need to pay attention to obesity."

Ortiz, who last year brought about the ban on driving while holding a cell phone, said a 1 percent "junk-food tax" may be just what the doctor ordered.

His aides said such a levy would raise "tens of millions of dollars" a year - to be earmarked for educational programs to convince the public to restrict their high-fat food intake.

Ortiz's proposal, still in the drafting stage, faces an uncertain future in the Legislature.

"The real tragedy is that most nutrition-related health problems are preventable, and we owe it to our children to give them the opportunity to become healthy, productive adults," said Ortiz, citing federal figures showing that nearly 300,000 deaths a year are linked to obesity.

Ortiz said he also may recommend new taxes on video games and television commercials, because New Yorkers are getting fat spending too much time in front of the TV screen.

"A new excuse for a new tax is the last thing we need," responded state Business Council spokesman Matt Maguire.

"New York's most pressing fat problem is the fat in the state budget," Maguire added.

A representative of the state Dietetic Association testified at a hearing conducted by Ortiz that 30 percent of all family food now comes from often-fatty restaurant take-out.

Ortiz cited statistics showing that New York has a higher childhood-obesity rate than the national average.

He said figures show that 22 percent of black, 20 percent of Latino, and 19 percent of white sixth-grade children in New York City are overweight.

Utterly despicable. "Let's pretend revenue raising is compassion!"
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:40 AM

"Let's pretend revenue raising is compassion!"

You have it exactly. If they were really serious, they'd put the "fat tax" high enough to dissuade consumers from purchasing high-fat items. But they'll only add a tax that's as high as the market can bear. That way they can still rake in the cash. Cigarette and alcohol taxes are exactly the same. The government WANTS people to buy cigarettes. If they didn't, they'd be twice the price. It's not about helping people . . . it's just a cynical attempt to raise more revenue.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#3 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:21 AM

While in theory I don't have a problem with "sin taxes" as a revenue source, this feels uncomfortably like the no-fat, no-cigs, no-sex, no-fun future of "Demolition Man."

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:38 AM

Although I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke, I've long been wary of the "punish smokers" crowd, and I used to joke with them that I was protecting smokers' rights because some day the same crowd would come after my Big Macs. I guess it wasn't such a joke.

And remember that Woody allen predicted in "Sleeper" that medical science would finally discover that hot fudge sundaes were a health food.  :p

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:38 AM

Alrighty then.

Behold the day when Cardie, Lil, Zack, Drew, and Rov have all agreed on the SAME political issue!

:eek:  :eek2:  :eek:

:wideeyed:

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 12 June 2003 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:48 AM

Cardie, on Jun 11 2003, 06:42 PM, said:

And remember that Woody allen predicted in "Sleeper" that medical science would finally discover that hot fudge sundaes were a health food.  :p
And that smoking was good for you. "Inhale deeply! Be sure to get the smoke deep down into your lungs!" (Or something like that.)  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 11:07 AM

^ oh, its ok, I could probably find today you guys having a heated discussion elsewhere  :p ;) :D  :blush: Just find another thread  ;)  :blush:

For the record, I agree to. If they were serious it wouldn't be 1 %  :rolleyes:

Edited by sierraleone, 12 June 2003 - 11:07 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

Ortiz said he also may recommend new taxes on video games and television commercials, because New Yorkers are getting fat spending too much time in front of the TV screen.

I'm so glad my government has my best interests in mind!

:sarcasm:

#9 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

Well everyone knows where I weight in on smoking but this is silly.  That said it is exactly what I expect to see coming from a NYC Assemblymen.  As loony as our legislature can be this one will be shot down.      

This one probably sent Governor Pataki bouncing off a few well placed walls.  Im betting this is more of a product of the recent budget/tax disputes in the legislature then anything to do with public health.  All together it is part of the ongoing battle between NYC and Upstate NY that is really one of the dominating factors in NY politics.  The legislature feels the way out of the recent fiscal problems is to raise all the taxes and do nothing about spending.  

Pataki has taken the other route and been fighting them every step of the way with Joe Bruno (Republican Senate Majority Leader) stabbing him in the back on that issue giving over enough votes to override the veto of the budget.  Pataki took one large blow on that one and I think he is still largely attempting to recover on that one.  Im betting this is an issue that hell stand and fight them on.  The good news is Joe Bruno is saying he wont support this one no matter what.  So this one should die in the legislature or at the hands of Pataki.  Now here is hoping Silver is stupid enough to stick out his neck to support it
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 01:38 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 11 2003, 04:42 PM, said:

Alrighty then.

Behold the day when Cardie, Lil, Zack, Drew, and Rov have all agreed on the SAME political issue!

:eek:  :eek2:  :eek:

And CJ.

The end is nigh. :wideeyed:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 02:45 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 12 2003, 02:42 AM, said:

And CJ.
Nothing new here.   Ive been dreading what comes out of the NYC for years in terms of public policy ;)  :p
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#12 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:02 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 11 2003, 08:42 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 11 2003, 04:42 PM, said:

Alrighty then.

:eek:  :eek2:  :eek:

And CJ.

Spooky

Waits for the sky to fall, the universe to implode, and hell to freeze over

:p ;)

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:09 PM

mystic, on Jun 12 2003, 04:06 AM, said:

Spooky

Waits for the sky to fall, the universe to implode, and hell to freeze over
See she thinks she is cute.......  :p ;)   Oh wait nevermind she got me..... :angel:  

And I think the absurdity of some of the politics in Albany is something we can all agree on.  Long live seccesion from downstate. :unsure:
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:09 PM

SO next up for NYC a Common sense tax. this will nto work as it seems no one living there has any. :rolleyes:
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#15 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:25 PM

And we're surprised that New York wants to do something stupid? How about we just seize the legeslators paychecks until they pass a budget on time? Maybe then they'll actually do their jobs. At least I've only got a couple of months before I leave this inept state.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#16 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:35 PM

Drew, on Jun 11 2003, 04:44 PM, said:

If they were really serious, they'd put the "fat tax" high enough to dissuade consumers from purchasing high-fat items. But they'll only add a tax that's as high as the market can bear. That way they can still rake in the cash. Cigarette and alcohol taxes are exactly the same. The government WANTS people to buy cigarettes. If they didn't, they'd be twice the price. It's not about helping people . . . it's just a cynical attempt to raise more revenue.
I agree. These days the government is in all the same rackets organized crime used to have an exclusive hold on - booze, cigarettes, gambling, protection money - everything except prostitution and drugs. Adding in new taxes like a Fat Tax would only increase the scope of their greed. They should just forget about this and stick to balancing their books.
Per aspera ad astra

#17 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 07:38 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jun 11 2003, 07:42 PM, said:

And CJ.

And Jon too...

*sees the frost line expanding from the bowels of hell*
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 07:43 PM

And me  :crazy: add me to that chorus

the US doesn't even have the minimal excuse that it's a nanny state and therefore has the right to meddle in the lives of thei citizens like the UK does

Edited by Godeskian, 12 June 2003 - 07:50 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:14 PM

UoR11, on Jun 12 2003, 04:29 AM, said:

How about we just seize the legeslators paychecks until they pass a budget on time? Maybe then they'll actually do their jobs.
NY Budget on time?  :o  :o  The halls of the Capitol would freeze over and take half the region with it if the budget came on time.  Id be happy to just have the nonsense stop coming out of NYC/downstate or at least Upstate gain enough of a power boost to start killing off more of the nonsense.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#20 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 12:28 PM

Chances for approval of New York 'fat tax' look slim

Chances of the proposal passing before lawmakers go home for the summer on June 19 looked slim after a spokesman for Republican Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno said he would not support the tax.

-Fleet Admiral Nimitz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diet & Health, Obesity, Fat, New York

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users